Any one have knowledge about a 2012 Fusion?

Hello All, Looking to pick up a used vehicle for a spare. I seen a 2012 Fusion that looked decent.
Im not familiar with Ford 4 clys. It has a 2.5 engine. Are these any good? Thanks

I absolutely love my 2012 with the 2.5.
I bought it July of 2015, had 24k miles on at the time.
Has 180k now.
Has been extremely reliable. If I could find a decent one, I would buy it myself.

The 2.5 is a good engine. There's a good amount of Mazda DNA in it. Sister has one with over 180,000 miles on it. She's wanting another Fusion, whenever this one kicks the bucket.
It’s not a “good amount”, it’s 100%. It’s the Mazda MZR series. Extremely reliable, very few issues. Only possible concern with proper maintenance may be the VC to timing chain cover seal; very rarely some will get a small weep here.

I had one in my 2011 Fusion; flawless for the 120k I owned it (other than rear rotors & pads had a ~45-50k life span while the fronts were still original when I sold it at 137k). Very easy on oil, I have UOAs in increasing mileage from about 7.5k all the way to 17.1k on PUP and it had really good trends (~1.1ppm Fe per 1k miles). If HPL had been around when I owned it, I have little doubt that 25k OCIs would have been easily achievable.

Great engine, good car, but treat the 6F35 with respect and 20-30k trans fluid changes and you should have a long, happy ownership!

I absolutely love my 2012 with the 2.5.
I bought it July of 2015, had 24k miles on at the time.
Has 180k now.
Has been extremely reliable. If I could find a decent one, I would buy it myself.
Yes...I'm currently a 2 Ford owner and have the same 2.5 in one of them. It's a sturdy, reliable engine. My (sold) Fusion had it's 2.3 little brother....another good version of the Mazda MZR. I haven't had trouble with any of my Ford's. Also, I haven't needed a wheel alignment in either Ford...my previous cars did need them...I think the Ford's have a strong front end.

I think Ford screwed up by not evolving the Fusion....they really were good.

Maybe someone with additional Ford experience can answer this:

Is this model plagued with EPS issues?
I would occasionally get a fault for it that popped up in the IC, but it never affected operation. A simple key off, key on always cleared it. Considering by the time it popped up the car was out of warranty and it never caused an issue, I never even had the dealer check it out. The lady that bought it from me in 2017-2018 is still driving it and has not had any repairs done.

Guess it’s a hit-and-miss, maybe?

I've had two, the 2.5 I4 is a workhorse, and the 6F35 is reasonably reliable, with a few drain and fills

Purge valves/throttle bodies are common failures, but parts are cheap and the swap takes seconds

HCU failure isn't common, but it can happen

Subframe/rocker rust can be an issue, a quick look underneath depending on your part of the country
Transmission cooler lines can also corrode, but they're $60 and easy to monitor or swap

The driver's inside door handle breaks a lot on these. I forget the year that the Fusions had the ABS module issues, but part of the fix is flushing the system with DOT4LV. The 2.5 is a good engine. We pretty much just do basic maintenance on these with teh occasional timing cover reseal and water pump.

I've had two, the 2.5 I4 is a workhorse, and the 6F35 is reasonably reliable, with a few drain and fills

Purge valves/throttle bodies are common failures, but parts are cheap and the swap takes seconds

HCU failure isn't common, but it can happen

Subframe/rocker rust can be an issue, a quick look underneath depending on your part of the country
Transmission cooler lines can also corrode, but they're $60 and easy to monitor or swap
We don't do rust here so I can't comment on that part of it.

The rocker panels corroding is an issue if you live in the rust belt - for whatever reason I see most of them around here with chunks of the rocker panels missing.
Seems like it’s going to happen, just a question of when unless the prior owner(s) were good about washing off the road salt.
The EPS issue seems to be a hit/miss problem. If the vehicle you’re looking has already had the SW flash updated and then gives issues, you’re on your own for an expensive fix.

I repeat everyone else’s comments. The engine is bulletproof. Ford’s best 4 cylinder. Previous owner had to really do something stupid to kill it.

Mine had higher odometer miles than most. 205,000 before trading it in to CarMax. Car was reliable and still going strong at trade in time. I used Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic to 100,000 miles and Mobil 1 0W20 EP to 205,000 miles.

I concur with many other sentiment here, I've had a 2010 which was the first year of the 6F35. I remember the programming was occasionally erratic on the shift patterns but I really loved that car.

I repeat everyone else’s comments. The engine is bulletproof. Ford’s best 4 cylinder. Previous owner had to really do something stupid to kill it.

Mine had higher odometer miles than most. 205,000 before trading it in to CarMax. Car was reliable and still going strong at trade in time. I used Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic to 100,000 miles and Mobil 1 0W20 EP to 205,000 miles.
Just curious, what were your OCI's? WIth the 5.7 quart sump in my Escape's 2.5 it seems that it could easily do more than the 6K that I average on full synthetic. The oil always look clean when drained.

We had a 2014 … 10k OCI’s based on Tig doing that on his 2 … was doing ATF every 3rd oil change …
157k - no issues … traded it in …

Back