Any of you run non-ethanol fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

Interesting catch. Is this presumably because at those stations the 91 will be blended from 87 E10 and 94 instead of having a separate tank for 91 E0?

That's the way I figure it, the stations that have both the 91 and the 94 are simply getting the 91 by blending it with the ethanol enhanced 94, while the ones that only carry 91 have that 91 as a pure 91 octane with no ethanol in it at all.

In an effort to save money, I've just switched to Pioneer 91, since it's a little more than 4 cents/liter less than Petro Canada's 91. The only thing with Pioneer is that you never know who the supplier is, they change suppliers every month depending on who gives them the best price. So one month you could be getting Esso's 91, the next month it could be Shell. In the old days when Sunoco was their sole supplier, they offered "Magnum 93" and it was actually Sunoco's 94 octane!

Originally Posted By: Patman

In an effort to save money, I've just switched to Pioneer 91, since it's a little more than 4 cents/liter less than Petro Canada's 91. The only thing with Pioneer is that you never know who the supplier is, they change suppliers every month depending on who gives them the best price. So one month you could be getting Esso's 91, the next month it could be Shell. In the old days when Sunoco was their sole supplier, they offered "Magnum 93" and it was actually Sunoco's 94 octane!

When I make a circuit of all the brands in my engine (BMW M52), I always end up coming back to Esso 91 E10 (92 in the past) for summer and Shell V-Power 91 E0 in the winter as having the best performance *AND* fuel economy. I don't like to sacrifice either (or both, as is the case with some brands).

I never found Sunoco 94 to be particularly high performance except for about 4 tanks purchased between 2000 and 2005 which were truly special. It has a high AKI which either you need or you don't. Those 4 special tanks were really special. The Porsche I had at the time called for 93 and immediately after fill up the idle was smoother, power was up 20% according to the butt dyno (I was quite in tune with it's typical performance and there was a few cases where going WOT had an element of fear in it on these tanks) and the fuel economy went through the roof. It was all undone as of the next Sunoco 94 fill up, even if at the same station but weeks later.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Use this website to locate it - http://pure-gas.org/

I was looking at that site and for my state it is slim pickens for non-ethanol gas http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH. There is one station in my metroplex listed and it's still too far away.

But looking at that chart, how does one really know the station is non-ethanol. It doesn't make a lot of sense. It lists one Sunoco station for instance. But why would one Sunoco station be non-ethanol and the dozens of other Sunocos in the city aren't. I'm trying to think if there is any kind of lake near that station, but I know there is a river in town with plenty of Sunoco stations with E10 only, so that might not be the reason.

Just about all of the gas out here in Western Washing is 10% ethanol. But oddly, 2 of 3 of my cars are now full of E0 for different reasons. Both got tanked up on recent trips and one of those ethanol free gas sites located the stations. One was a Cenex station and the other a Conoco. Both of which are rare retailers out here. I see a MPG improvement with E0 over E10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back