Any new cars/SUVs under $30K worth getting?

When I bought my 2022 Frontier a few weeks back, my local Nissan store had a few new Altimas on the lot. One SV model was right at $30K IIRC. S models can be had for a few grand less, but they'd have to do a dealer locate for you.

Man how times have changed. $30K for a "budget" altima.
then, people would be asking: "Where did my retirement funds go."

$30K+ for a Altima or a Camry; just hideous!

If I were the OP I would look into a GTI or just a regular Golf.
VW no longer sells regular Golf in the US. GTI does look interesting, alas I'm thinking 225/40 low profile tires are going to be a problem here. Even the Accord Hybrid comes with 235/40 tires... on an Accord???

The 17" wheels (wrapped with 235/45 tires) on my BMW are all bent up, and this would be even worse.

I may have to stay with a CUV/SUV to get some better pothole protection - our roads aren't the greatest.

I feel so honored that someone pays so much attention to what I say that they actually have to ignore me.
I wouldn’t feel honored if I were you. This is the opposite of a good thing and if you’re not able to comprehend that, that’s why you’re on ignore.

VW no longer sells regular Golf in the US. GTI does look interesting, alas I'm thinking 225/40 low profile tires are going to be a problem here. Even the Accord Hybrid comes with 235/40 tires... on an Accord???

The 17" wheels (wrapped with 235/45 tires) on my BMW are all bent up, and this would be even worse.

I may have to stay with a CUV/SUV to get some better pothole protection - our roads aren't the greatest.

You might want to test drive a subaru legacy with the 2.4L

It is abit out of the sub 30 range but they do hold their value incredibly well if you want to dump it after a few years.

I was also extremely close to buying a cx-50 is the dirtbag salesman at 3 different mazda dealers had half a clue...

Yes these current prices are insane! I see hoopties that are one step away from the junkyard, and the sellers are all proud, asking new mint condition prices!
a_bitog_avatar.jpg

If it's low mileage, it would be an excellent financial decision vs. spending 30K on a new car that will drop $6000 in value the minute you drive it off the lot.

You are coming at this from your view because you are in the used car business and obviously that’s a bias.

The valuation has no bearing if the person is holding onto the vehicle for the long term.

I buy brand new as well and I drive them until they are done for. Like the other poster, I don’t want to inherit someone else’s problems or trash. The used car market is like playing Russian roulette.

It's all a trade-off between age and price and what you're most comfortable with. If you're keeping a car 20 years, why pay $30k for a new one when you can get an identical 3 year old one for $15K? After 20 years the amount spent for parts and service will be about the same, yet you will have saved $15,000 up front.

After 20 years the amount spent for parts and service will be about the same, yet you will have saved $15,000 up front.
Some people are willing to spend more than the absolute bare-minimum for certain things. It is their choice.

Some people are willing to spend more than the absolute bare-minimum for certain things. It is their choice.
What part of,
It's all a trade-off between age and price and what you're most comfortable with.
does that not imply? And why is a 3 year old car the absolute bare-minimum. Some people don't want to dump their money into a depreciating asset and instead put it towards their retirement. Now if you're rich and well off, that doesn't matter of course, but most folks these days don't even have an emergency fund or enough savings to last 6 months.

Back