Any known issues with MC FL-500S?

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
I don't recall seeing many tears posted with this particular motorcraft filter, and those were several years ago. Anybody seen one fail recently?

I'm looking for a filter this size that I can reasonably buy in bulk, I could go with a Champ PH500 but I'd rather not go ecore. Motorcraft is the next cheapest choice that I'd consider, followed by carquest.

I usually buy the Bosch Workshop line for jobber filters but they don't seem to have one in this size. It's supposedly similar to a FL-820S but has a much lower bypass pressure.

What is your definition of cheap? Because if your local NAPA is participating in their bi-annual filter sale, theirs are pretty much unbeatable at half price. I paid $4.39 each plus tax for individual NAPA Gold (WIX) 7502s (buying by the case of 12 is cheaper per filter). Their NAPA Silver 37502 runs $6.99 plus tax normally, so somewhere around $3.49 during the sale. Or the cheapest option would be to buy their NAPA ProSelect 27502 filters by the case, which should easily make them less than $2.49 per filter, considering individually they normally run $4.99. All are WIX made, just different tiers of quality. When I go to pick up a few cases I ordered tomorrow, I'll get quotes for all in that size and report back.

People give them a bad rap because some claim their media sometimes does tear.

FIFY :ROFLMAO:

getawheel - The FL-500S shown in cut and posts look pretty good. It's the FL-820S that has shown the most likelihood of media tearing due to extra wide pleat spacing.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: ^^^

Tin_foil_hat.jpg

The FL 500 seems to be of better quality than its cousin the FL820. If you can get a good deal on FL500's, I wouldn't hestitate buying a bunch of them.

The FL 500 seems to be of better quality than its cousin the FL820. If you can get a good deal on FL500's, I wouldn't hestitate buying a bunch of them.

This is exactly right ^^^^^^^

And I would buy a crud ton of Fl 500s or FL 400s... Those motorcraft filters always look perfect.

The 820s... Use them for target practice.

I don't recall seeing many tears posted with this particular motorcraft filter, and those were several years ago. Anybody seen one fail recently?

I'm looking for a filter this size that I can reasonably buy in bulk, I could go with a Champ PH500 but I'd rather not go ecore. Motorcraft is the next cheapest choice that I'd consider, followed by carquest.

I usually buy the Bosch Workshop line for jobber filters but they don't seem to have one in this size. It's supposedly similar to a FL-820S but has a much lower bypass pressure.
Baldwin gets affordable in bulk and have good performance numbers … I have used the B7449 in the PF63E, 500, XG10575 line and they held up great …

Have you looked at NAPA Gold or Platinum when they go on sale?

I've cut open a fair number of FL500S (got two now I need to get to) and somewhat fewer FL400S and they always look fine.

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m going to check with my local NAPA (Gulf Coast Parts Supply) but they usually don’t participate in the filter sales. I’ll probably buy the FL-500s by the case.

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m going to check with my local NAPA (Gulf Coast Parts Supply) but they usually don’t participate in the filter sales. I’ll probably buy the FL-500s by the case.
Ouch, yeah it looks like the closest corporate store to you is on the West side of Jacksonville. To me, it may be worth a trip if you confirm they're participating and the sale is live, bought a decent amount of various filters, and wanted to do something (visit a unique restaurant?) there. But to you it may not be worth it. I tried!

Back