Any info on Antares tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Tires from China have a spotty quality record; worse than most other sources.
How far back in time are you going? You assume nothing has changed in over 10 years. You offer no evidence of any kind to back up your claims. Just making general statements on a hunch ain't good enough for this website. (Well, some people try to get away with that, so welcome to the bottom of the barrel....).

I'll offer the only documented tests and recalls I've heard of, and they have been several years ago.

Car and Driver had some poor performance issue with some LingLong tires 9 years ago. I'm hoping other Chinese tire makers have evolved since then.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ling-long-l688-page-3

I think Chinese manufacturers have learned something in the last 10 years or so from dealing with the West. Recalls and lawsuits can cost them. Its 2018 now. They copy other successful designs and processes, and evolve to a level of quality that keeps their factories humming. Otherwise they get disruptions.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/2014...reater-scrutiny
UNION, N.J. — The August 2007 recall of defective Chinese light truck tires taught Foreign Tire Sales Inc. (FTS) — and the industry in general — a number of important lessons, particularly contractual ones.

"We now operate with every supplier, from China or elsewhere, with as comprehensive a contract as we can get them to agree to,” said Lawrence N. Lavigne, vice president of operations and general counsel for the Union-based distributor, in a conversation with Tire Business.

“We discuss the potential of a recall up front now, and we feel manufacturers out on what they feel their responsibilities will be.”

Unfortunately, FTS learned the hard way from Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. Ltd. in the form of approximately 255,000 radial light truck tires sold in the U.S. under the Compass, Telluride, Westlake and YKS brand names. FTS, the importer of the tires, ended up being responsible for the recall.

The controversy began with an August 2006 rollover crash allegedly caused by a belt and tread separation in a tire made by Hangzhou Zhongce. Two men were killed in the crash, and a third suffered permanent brain damage.

The victims’ families filed suit in Philadelphia Circuit Court against Hangzhou, FTS, General Motors Corp. (now General Motors Co.) and other defendants. FTS subsequently sued Hangzhou in New Jersey federal district court, seeking unspecified damages and an injunction against further importation of Hangzhou tires.

Because Hangzhou had no corporate offices or representatives in the U.S., FTS was deemed the “manufacturer of record.”

V3-140509988.jpg

I have a thread on them. I put a pair of Antares comfort A5 on the minivan in my sig. They were smooth and quiet. Not good in winter conditions. The bad part was they wore beyond the wear indicators in under 18K miles. I paid like $57/ea + tax, etc. for them last year. IMO, they would do much better on a smaller, lighter vehicle.

Walmart has Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring 185/65R14 86H tires on sale for only $49.67 each after rebate (when purchased in sets of 4). These are outstanding 560AA H speed rated rated tires for the money! They are essentially budget priced Michelin tires manufactured in the USA. Personally, I would stay away from Chinese tires for the time being, particularly in view of the fact tires of this level of quality can be purchased for just a little more money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Personally, I would stay away from Chinese tires for the time being, particularly in view of the fact tires of this level of quality can be purchased for just a little more money.
Understandable your hesitancy to accept Chinese products. They have a checkered past with quality.
It is outdated thinking though.

Here is how Chinese companies have used the last 10 years to catch up, or get very close anyway:

1. Robotic manufacturing: This is ubiquitous. Employ some of the same or similar machines Michelin uses.

2. Polymer chemistry: The Chinese are good at stealing clever tech developed over the past decades.

3. Tire construction basics: Thats always been easy to copy. Cut one open and copy it.

4. Other manufacturing methods: Remember all the "secrets" in Michelin, Sumitumo, Goodyear, etc. are public knowledge in China since most of the big-name tire makers operate plants in China. Spying and copying process-tech is way too easy that way.

5. Accept Quality Control methods: They have been forced to do that, since recalls are costly for them.

All of the above may explain why complaints about Chinese tires have died way down from about 2009 to now.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Size is 185/65-14, right?
smile.gif

Walmart has Lionhart tires for only $29 each
27.gif

No really though, get real tires. Walmart's Douglas tires are only $40 and are made by Goodyear. Most of them are even made in the US

For $50, you can get the Nokian Entyre or the new Cooper Evolution Tour (an updated CS3)

My opinion too.
Buy something made in the USA because that's someone's job and it's only a little more.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Walmart has Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring 185/65R14 86H tires on sale for only $49.67 each after rebate (when purchased in sets of 4). These are outstanding 560AA H speed rated rated tires for the money! They are essentially budget priced Michelin tires manufactured in the USA. Personally, I would stay away from Chinese tires for the time being, particularly in view of the fact tires of this level of quality can be purchased for just a little more money.

31.gif

Uniroyal isn't much better than Antares at all.

Even though Uniroyal and BFG are owned by Michelin, they are not the same and not made the same as Michelin. CapriRacer has mentioned Michelin's special manufacturing process on their tires, and that they can;t make other tires on Michelin's factories, and can't make Michelins on BFG production lines. SO you will not see Tiger Paws made alongside Defenders.

And Uniroyal was even worse before Michelin took over.

I'd rather use the Douglas tires (made by Goodyear). Goodyear's cheap Kelly tires are most likely much better than Uniroyal.

Uniroyals seem to get good reviews and I do like that they're made in North America. Thing is most Michelin threads I read now seem to be negative, though I had a set of Primacys that came with a used Subaru Outbook I bought. Those did just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR20DE
Uniroyals seem to get good reviews and I do like that they're made in North America. Thing is most Michelin threads I read now seem to be negative, though I had a set of Primacys that came with a used Subaru Outbook I bought. Those did just fine.

I'll give my praise to Uniroyal. I've got 25K on the Tiger Paw Tourings on my Nissan Versa sedan, and they transformed the car. Better handling, smoother, quieter ride, and I do get a smidge better fuel economy than I did with the OEM Continentals. I would buy these again.

Interesting thread. I would have voted to go at least Douglas from Walmart. Even though RT43 is my favorite. But Walmart convenience has to matter for something. I want to say Douglas gets decent marks, just not a long lasting tire (420 treadwear?).

Cheapest might not be the lowest on purchase price. If a tire costs 10% more but goes 50% longer, then the more expensive tire is better. Only if you're broke does it "pay" to go as cheap as possible.

Are Douglas tires made in the USA? I was under the impression that darn near all tires were overseas now. I know at least one of my RT43 sets was made in the USA, but I don't think any of the others were.

Originally Posted By: supton
Are Douglas tires made in the USA? I was under the impression that darn near all tires were overseas now. I know at least one of my RT43 sets was made in the USA, but I don't think any of the others were.

Most of them are
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Most of them are
smile.gif

Interesting. Not sure that is enough to sway me to buy, not with a 420 treadwear rating, but is interesting all the same. Maybe I'll give them a try next time.

Yeah but 700 treadwear only gets me 40k before tires are 4/32's or less. A 420 might only last 20k? That's a tire that won't make a year for me. I'll have to figure out projected cost/mile before deciding.

Do what you will, but with such small rims you can hit irritating resonant frequencies at lower speeds.

…... I was under the impression that darn near all tires were overseas now.

Man, where have you been?

Giti, Continental, Kumho, Hankook, and Triangle have all recently opened new tire factories in the US.

Doing some research, there are 7 other tire manufacturers producing tires in the US.

According to the US Tire Manufacturers Association, tire plants in the US are capable of making 680,000 tires PER DAY! ( I couldn't find what was sold, vs what was imported quickly, but I think I made my point!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back