Any harm adding Techron or Redline in gas of boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

It's a Yamaha 2 cycle 150hp. Does the TECHRON Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner or Redline added to the gas with Marine Stabil cause any issue with the Yamalube?

Can't find where I read it, but Chevron doesn't recommend Techron Concentrate Plus for 2-cycle engines, instead they recommend the 2-cycle formulated version of Techron, Ring-Free.

JMO, If you ran it very diluted, an additional 10x from the concentrated dilution (1 oz. Gallon), I don't think it would do any harm, as that's the level that's present in their pump gas. I suspect that the concentrated dilution keeps the 2-cycle oil from doing its job of lubricated the engine.

Found the tech support message on another forum:

Quote:
Yamaha Ring Fee is similar to Techron and Techron Concentrate. The main deposit control additive is the same. Techron and Techron concentrate are designed for automotive four-stroke engines as a deposit control additive. Yamaha Ring Free is formulated specifically for two-stroke engines, and is not marketed by Chevron.

The amount of Techron that is in Chevron gasolines should be beneficial for two cycle engines. All Chevron grades of gasoline contain Techron.

Good, quality, detergent cleansing action will be realized with Chevron gasoline in your engine without any concern.

Techron Concentrate Plus fuel additive is not recommended for 2-cycle engines, which require oil to be mixed with the gasoline. This is because the very high level of Techron in Techron Concentrate may possibly interact with additives in the oil that is added to the gasoline. In practice, this is very unlikely to occur.

Regards,

ChevronTexaco Fuels Technical Service

When I sold boats & engines Yamaha Ring Free was made by Chevron. It was plainly stated on the bottle but that was some years ago. Were it my engine I would use a product specific to 2 stroke engines.

Nice info from Chevron. I use the ring-free in my 4-stroke motorcycle and it does keep the back of the valves nice and clean.

It says on the bottle its made for 4-strokes also. They recommend you change the oil in a 4-stroke after a "shock treatment".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back