Any hard core coffee drinkers?

It sounds like coffee prices may double by the fall / winter because of recent weather events in south america. Im not a gloom and doom prepper but I believe this will occur. Unlike lumber, coffee is something I will not go without and refuse to pay 15 bucks for a bag of coffee. Monday, I ordered about 500.00 worth of coffee and feel good that it will be enough to tide me over until prices settle. I suggest if you share my love for coffee and dont want to pay dearly for it, go stock up now.

Reactions: JC1
Monday, I ordered about 500.00 worth of coffee
Roasted or unroasted?

I don't buy roasted coffee much in advance because it loses flavor just sitting there, unless you freeze it, but then it takes up freezer space which I don't have much of.

I go through a 12 oz bag of beans a month, give or take. Even if the price goes up, I'll manage.

I drink it every morning especially when I have to get up at 5:45 to be there at 7:30 like this week lol. As long as Folgers or Chock Full O Nuts is available and I’m not paying for it then it should be ok LOL.

I was actually in a store checkout line last week and I heard the guy in front of me telling the cashier that. I seldom listen to the “news” anymore, so that’s where I first heard it. Yea, I was a lemming and went back to purchase a large container of it. The irony was that it was for my brother-in-law who I was visiting. It doesn’t cause me too much worry as I drink 1-2 cups a week during the winter, seldom drink any during the hot, summer months.

I drink a lot of coffee, but not hardcore enough to drop half a G note and then have to store it.

Believe it or not, 500 dollars worth of coffee does not take up that much space. I was so surprised I had to double check my walmart and amazon order to make sure.

I dropped 500$ but it was on 66lb of Green (unroasted) specialty bolivian peaberry beans (includes 62$ shipping)

I roast it and give away aprox half of it. so it lasts about 12-16month usually.

Roasted coffee doesnt age great.. and roasted and ground coffee is even worse.

I think if I wanted to stock up on roasted store bought.. I'd buy about 8 of the big bags of whole bean at costco.. but more than that.. no way.

fyi storing in freezer or fridge isnt great.
the temp change is not good for moisture.. which is bad for coffee.

Last edited:
Roasted or unroasted?

I don't buy roasted coffee much in advance because it loses flavor just sitting there, unless you freeze it, but then it takes up freezer space which I don't have much of.

I go through a 12 oz bag of beans a month, give or take. Even if the price goes up, I'll manage.

I buy roasted, grounds and whole bean and grind some of my own. This weekend I plan to put it all in my chest freezer to keep it fresh. But yeah, you dont really use enough to stock up on more than a case.

Yes, I stock plenty of espresso in capsules, cartridges and whole bean; I like to change it up. Right now it's Lavazza Gran Espresso Double Shots and it's strong! @Quattro Pete you drinking again?

Guess I better stock up on original line Nespresso-type pods. I've found Peet's makes good-quality pods, besides Starbucks and Nespresso brand.

I've tried others, like Rosso Cafe... the coffee tastes good but half the time the pods don't work properly; too much plastic.

I'm going to have to ring up my good buddy , the Dalai Lama and have him ship me a load of my favorite beans to brew Po Cha . Of course he will bless it first . I brew it in my traditional antique silver and copper Tibetan pot using water from glacier melt that is flown down by the ANG in a diplomatic pouch .
I just had to do it ..

My Wife often buys Starbucks at a discount at TJ Maxx of all places.

When I worked in PA, there was a discount/ salvage grocery store called Wengers outside of Lewisburg. Had awesome deals on coffee, much f it was expired... but some really high end coffee. I go through so much coffee, no issue with vacuum packed expired premium coffee for me.

BTW- this store is my favorite store off all time. Truck full of food crashed and spilled on the interstate- Wengers would buy the load. Nabisco tried a new flavor of Oreo cookies in a small market- Wengers would buy the unsold... I could go on and on about this place. Many food items for sale I never saw anywhere else.

Store was staffed primarily my Mennonite women. These women worked super hard non-stop. What a work ethic.

Reactions: JC1
I'm going to have to ring up my good buddy , the Dalai Lama and have him ship me a load of my favorite beans to brew Po Cha . Of course he will bless it first . I brew it in my traditional antique silver and copper Tibetan pot using water from glacier melt that is flown down by the ANG in a diplomatic pouch .
I just had to do it ..

YES YES YES, glacier water! When I'm in my private yacht I send a deckhand out to chip away my coffee machine water. I thought I was the only one using glacier water.

I drink this, and it's $9 for the big bag at the local Kroger:

1627583036222.jpg

Hard core coffee drinker here - all day, every day - from perc to Turkish to kcup - all day. Most typically I percolate beans that I grind up right before brewing. But I went on vacation, and bought instant coffee and a Krups fast water boiler, and I swear, I actually now prefer the instant stuff. I couldn't believe it myself, but man o man, having a Cafe Bustello (dehydrated) cafe con leche was a taste revelation. I don't think I can go back to making traditional pots of coffee; the ease and deliciousness of that instant stuff are just addictive.

Back