Any great tips on removing swirls scratches?

Spent around six hours today with my Griots buffer and a container of M205. While it certainly helped to remove very fine swirl marks and some small scratches, it left way more than I though it should with as much effort as I put into it.

I used the Orange cutting pad from Lake Country and the buffer was set to 4-5 as recommended by Meguiars.

It left behind a lot of areas I felt it should have removed, especially ones where I did the fingernail test.

Have you guys had good luck with something more aggressive pad or compound wise?

Thanks!

Obligatory pic:

Scion pic newest.jpg

Get yourself some griots garage fast correcting cream. Really easy to work with, long working time, no dusting and swirls magically disappear. you might even get away with one step only without needing to follow up with the polish - FCC finishes really well.

I use meguiars ultimate compound from walmart. its between the 105 and 205 in aggressiveness.

run it on 5 on 5 on flat surfaces. move press hard and move slow, like 2" per sec. I have the proter cable and i set for 5 abd press as hard as i can until thenpad stops rotating. then i lighten up a little to allow it to spend,

you only worry about burning the paint on the corners but the flat parts it is very difficult to burn the paint with a DA.

if the scratch is isolated. you can go after it by hand. if its deep rub it with 2000grit sand paper then buff tye haze out with the megs ultimate compound.

I would not get too aggressive with mild scratches, youll never keep tye paint perfect on a daily driver, you just apsant to keep it clean and waxed so when you wash (where most scratches come from) the dirt is easily removed without scrubbing. tye paint will look good and last a nice long time.

A detailers trick for darker colors is to use meguiars #7 befor you wax. it get down into those scratches with filling oils and turns the white scratch much darker so you dont see it, it doesnt last long but it looks really good when done. you do a wipe on wipe off with #7. you dont let it dry, almost like a spray wax.

then coat with whatever wax you were goong to use, preferable one without strong cleaners to clean out the filled scratches. meguiars high tech yellow wax is good for that. im sure tye ultimate wax is also good,

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I use meguiars ultimate compound from walmart. its between the 105 and 205 in aggressiveness.

run it on 5 on 5 on flat surfaces. move press hard and move slow, like 2" per sec. I have the proter cable and i set for 5 abd press as hard as i can until thenpad stops rotating. then i lighten up a little to allow it to spend,

you only worry about burning the paint on the corners but the flat parts it is very difficult to burn the paint with a DA.

if the scratch is isolated. you can go after it by hand. if its deep rub it with 2000grit sand paper then buff tye haze out with the megs ultimate compound.

I would not get too aggressive with mild scratches, youll never keep tye paint perfect on a daily driver, you just apsant to keep it clean and waxed so when you wash (where most scratches come from) the dirt is easily removed without scrubbing. tye paint will look good and last a nice long time.

A detailers trick for darker colors is to use meguiars #7 befor you wax. it get down into those scratches with filling oils and turns the white scratch much darker so you dont see it, it doesnt last long but it looks really good when done. you do a wipe on wipe off with #7. you dont let it dry, almost like a spray wax.

then coat with whatever wax you were goong to use, preferable one without strong cleaners to clean out the filled scratches. meguiars high tech yellow wax is good for that. im sure tye ultimate wax is also good,

Thank you for the great response. I actually have a bottle of #7, so I am eager to try that. I think you are right in that I should let some of these daily driver type scratches go as I don't want to do more harm than good.

One of the big learning curves on the buffer was it would sometimes sling the compound everywhere. My hair, face, across the garage, and all over the windows. What a mess. haha

I also have the high tech wax you speak of. It smells like bananas to me. LOL

Originally Posted by parshisa
Get yourself some griots garage fast correcting cream. Really easy to work with, long working time, no dusting and swirls magically disappear. you might even get away with one step only without needing to follow up with the polish - FCC finishes really well.

I noticed with the Meguiars product, there was very little working or open time. It would very quickly become dried out and start dusting.

you won't see it with griots, i promise.lubrication is amazing, same as a swirl removal capability. and ABSOLUTELY zero dust

Originally Posted by parshisa

+1. Griots FCC or TLD's Last Cut Compounding Glaze. I've been using TLD's product for my last two details and it has been excellent.

I've found the new DA foam wool pads to be excellent provided you have access to shop air. Blowing out the pad after each section really helps maintain the excellent cut/finish qualifies.

In most cases, if you execute your compound step correctly, there should be very little DA Haze or micro-marring to refine in the second step.

44E73447-6580-484A-8062-834839B19733.jpeg

Last edited:
Back