Any good oil thickener

There are 50 grade hdeo's available but they cost more, how much does it burn per thousand miles with just 15w-40. And you're not using 10w-30 and considering an additive first before a grade bump right.

Buy a Heavier oil than your using and mix them . Mixing with Lucas will make the oil low on additives .

Isn’t it just straight oil with no additives?
It doesn't have much additive to it, but you said you wanted a thickener, Lucas will do that among a few other things.

If you are wanting some kind of additive with other benefits look into Prolube but it wont have much of a thickening benefit.

Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer, people will cry about it on here but it is a good product that works.
I've seen turbo chargers fail on diesel semi trucks that used Lucas. It's literally the worse thing you can do to your engine. It's like poisoning your engine.

Are there any good oil thickeners for semi truck oil ?
Yes, use a higher viscosity oil.

I've seen turbo chargers fail on diesel semi trucks that used Lucas. It's literally the worse thing you can do to your engine. It's like poisoning your engine.

Yes, use a higher viscosity oil.
Proof? I will be waiting. Because if this is the case then guess what? higher viscosity oil will do the same lol.

Proof? I will be waiting. Because if this is the case then guess what? higher viscosity oil will do the same lol.
Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a low cost and low quality viscosity improver, sold at huge markup. When you replace 10% to 20% or more of your motor oil with Lucas, you have that much less anti wear additives, less detergents and dispsants, and so on. Just cutting down ZDDP, friction reducers, and detergents & dispersants, is good enough to effectively destroy the bearings inside a turbo in a diesel engine. After that, the piston rings will wear out, because Lucas is a magnet for dirt, and also likes to create deposits. The rings will have so much wear that when remove them, you can use them for shawing. The rod and main bearings in a big Diesel engine will go last, because these bearings are so big. You probably will have to rebuild your engine before they let go, because of the increased blowby and decreased power, and probably because you're tired of replacing turbos because... you keep using Lucas. Some folks never learn.

In a personal vehicle with a gas engine Lucas will do some serious damage. It prevents oil from getting where it needs to be, fast enough, by clogging up passage ways that are narrow, like those inside an oil-coolant heat exchanger for example. That's why Lucas came out with a thinner version of their crud and dubbed it "Synthetic", whatever that means ... for what it really is.

But hey, if you, or anyone else wants to use Lucas, or keep using it, by all means. It's not my problem, and I won't suffer the consequences of such a bad decision, you will.

I would say more or less or more for less. I would look for something like a SAE 30 wt that still has detergents or Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver
He wants it for a semi truck. Think north of 15W-40. The OP could go 15W-50. Something like HPL 15W-50 would fit the bill nicely, as it cleans, and has very good anti wear properties. Of course, it's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Back