Any formula for measuring powder detergent for..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I make my own laundry detergent. Pennies to dollars.

Fight Club 2 - Trouble at the Laundromat

Lye from burnt kelp, rendered fat, a bit of boiling, voilà!

hotwheels

Not quite, all off the shelf ingredients.

hotwheels

Good for you, but if I'm marooned on an uninabited island, and if I want to wash my shorts, I can't just go to the corner shop for off-the-shelf ingredients.

hotwheels

hotwheels

I ordered from Amazon. The big brown truck brought it.

Good for you, but if I'm marooned on an uninabited island, and if I want to wash my shorts, I can't just go to the corner shop for off-the-shelf ingredients.

hotwheels

main.jpg

FWIW Using mineral free water

Mix together in a 1 gallon pourable
container:

4 T washing soda
4 T Borax

Add hot water to fill container.

Add
4 T Dawn dish soap

Use 1-2 cup per wash load.

Pods are cheaper because they are pre-measured. Seems with powders and liquids, the family would simply fill the cup or cap and dump it in, regardless the size of the load.

I did have to stop the 22 year old from putting two pods in for a medium sized load. But once I got the family trained, I've found the portion control to help control costs.

If I were a bachelor, I could probably get a year out of the jumbo package of detergent. But a family of 5 where three are not paying the bills....

Originally Posted By: Donald
I use pods. Most people put more soap than the measuring cups says to and never get the number of loads listed on the container.

Originally Posted By: yeti
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Noey
I hate hate hate smelling laundry detergent on someone from 8 feet away

Same here. If I was the world dictator, the first thing I'd do is outlaw fragrant laundry detergent and fabric softener.

good point. but, you'd be putting some women out of work, that work for the manufacturers.it has to be women. what guys would think of scent names like "mountain breeze", and "after the rain" ?

OP-- precision measurement is not required here. just wing it, man.or,go to the horses mouth.call the toll free number on the box.those numbers are there for consumers that are confused by instructions.
good luck.

merkava -- sorry that you misunderstood my post. it was joking around, responding to your above "joking around" post. I figured that it would be obvious that people would see that, but, I was wrong.we need some comic relief here, now that 'prone is gone to the magic bean patch in the sky.*
kira made a good comment re: the non scented arm&hammer powder detergent.
to each his own, I guess.
*merk -- "the magic bean patch in the sky" is joking around -- just to save you from commenting about it.
have a good day, all.

You didn't read the entire post.

Sure, if it were just me they wouldn't be. But when the other four people in the house think a grain shovel is the unit of measure for laundry soap, the pods, in actual use, are cheaper.

In reality, not that much difference. I think it was $20 for a 90 pod pack at Sam's Club and $17 for a bottle of liquid that did 85 loads.

If I could actually get 85 loads for my family, the $17 bottle would be cheaper. But that bottle would last 42 loads with traditional use. We'll get 90 loads out of the 90 pod pack, saving about $16 for the 90 loads.

YMMV

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Pods are cheaper LOL.

That's like claiming K cups are cheaper because they are pre measured.

FWIW Using mineral free water

Mix together in a 1 gallon pourable
container:

4 T washing soda
4 T Borax

Add hot water to fill container.

Add
4 T Dawn dish soap

Use 1-2 cup per wash load.

On my island, I will have to catch a large marine mammal and render its fat. Then I need sulfuric acid and lime. I should be able to make a calcereous soap that meets all my cleaning needs.

hotwheels

I'd use a tablespoon and see how it goes. Tide has optical brighteners and the non-HE varieties have a healthy dose of surfactants in it.

merkava -- sorry that you misunderstood my post. it was joking around, responding to your above "joking around" post. I figured that it would be obvious that people would see that, but, I was wrong.we need some comic relief here, now that 'prone is gone to the magic bean patch in the sky.*
*merk -- "the magic bean patch in the sky" is joking around -- just to save you from commenting about it.
have a good day, all.

Yeti -- it's all good. I'm not offended in the least. I don't operate that way. Look me up in the encyclopedia and you'll see a picture of a cucumber on ice next to my name.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
main.jpg

That looks familiar. I think that is what the wife uses.

All I know, when we bought our house and bought a washer/dryer, I was sternly told to never touch them.

Works for me.

So at costco the bucket of Kirkland Pods is like 10 dollars.

One per load, it lasts us a while.

Also use dishwasher pods for the dishwasher. It comes out to be much cheaper than buying liquid or powder detergent.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
have a good day, all.

Yeti -- it's all good. I'm not offended in the least. I don't operate that way. Look me up in the encyclopedia and you'll see a picture of a cucumber on ice next to my name.

understood.
in the last 1-2 years, there are some here who are offended, if they are not told what they want to hear.responders are called rude, and snarky. a few called these threads train wrecks.too many people are way too sensitive, and have no sense of humor.sometimes, there is a fine line between the ones that are/are not offended by any given comments.you know what I mean.

supton -- you were "sternly" told by the wife to not touch the washer/dryer.
until something breaks.heed her words,and you cannot be blamed for anything that may go wrong with the machines.

have a good day, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back