Any fans of Case knives?

I’ve got a couple of Case pocket knives and have developed an interest in them. I’ve got an amber bone small Texas Jack with chrome vanadium blades and a smooth chestnut bone Peanut with Tru-Sharp stainless blades. I’m considering a Mini Copperlock with Tru-Sharp blades but can’t decide on the handle material.

I've got a 2 blade yellow case trapper. I don't really use it since it's just not a good pocket knife but it's a nice collectable. Right now my main knife is a Camillus d2 horizon. Incredible $20 wally world knife. build quality is superb, ball bearing pivot is just nice.

I've got a 2 blade yellow case trapper. I don't really use it since it's just not a good pocket knife but it's a nice collectable. Right now my main knife is a Camillus d2 horizon. Incredible $20 wally world knife. build quality is superb, ball bearing pivot is just nice.
Don’t have a Trapper. What makes it a poor pocket knife?

Don’t have a Trapper. What makes it a poor pocket knife?
Just a heavy knife with no pocket clip or one handed deployment or closing which is just a nice have. Gotta shove the hand in the pocket to fish it out but it usually goes sideways and is uncomfortable. I bought the belt clip for it but it's not only intrusive and annoying but just plain boomer and I'm not into it and every guy I've met that carries a knife on a belt clip just tends to be a stuck up A hole in general for some reason. That's why I main the knife i have or instead use use a small stockman like my very old but oh so well made buck 303 that i keep in my mini pocket.

Bought a new USA made buck 303 instead of the Chinese 373 thinking it'll be to the same or better quality level of my 35 year old 303 stockman that's also made in the US. Boy was i sadly disappointed. US made bucks are straight junk these days. Poor fit and the buck logo literally fell off. Returned it. The buck 303 i have is incredibly perfect even after 35 years of use. Finish and fitment is still like brand new. zero gap or slop of any kind and everything lines up laser straight and is sill rock solid. Blades worn a bit so i sharpen very conservatively.

I like them and they're the only pocket knives I carry.

The medium Stockman has been my go-to pattern, and I have a couple of them. I have CV steel in yellow handle and amber bone, and a stainless(True-Sharp) yellow handle.

Lately I've been carrying a Trapper yellow handle/CV that I've had for a while. I also sometimes carry a CV/red bone Russlock, which seems a polarizing pattern but I like it.

I have several others, some quite old that belonged to grandparents and the like that I don't really carry but enjoy having. My carry ones mostly are recent production(last 10 years or so) that I've bought new. I like CV steel on the whole, and have a few that I've intentionally let patina(which combined with regular use seems the best for continued rust resistance). I've not ventured into any of their exotic products.

My father in law gave me the small Texas Jack for Christmas one year, as it was the same knife his father gave him so there’s a bit of sentimental value. I enjoy carrying the Peanut when wearing dressier pants than jeans. I appreciate the quality and workmanship of the two knives that I own. I’m interested in starting a small collection.

I love all my Case knives especially my Case Sodbuster Jr. I’m not a Hunter, but I just picked up a 70’s era Buck 105 fixed blade with original Buck leather sheath at an antique store over the weekend for $25.50. I have a 75th anniversary brass Buck 119 with Cocobolo wood handles, and mirror finish SS that’s a work of art. A couple old Camillus lock backs, Imperials, several German Hen & Rooster single blade lock backs, Schrade etc. I guess what I’m saying is, don’t get hung up on one particular brand or style as there are many wonderful knives by many different manufacturers out there you will enjoy and appreciate for their workmanship and functionality. ;)

This thread reminded me of my youth going into the neighborhood hardware store and staring at all the Case knives under the glass counter. There was a fascination with the different bone handles and colors. Every boy at that time had a pocket knife when they got to a certain age.

Nowadays I prefer other knives with better utility like one hand opening and using with gloves. Those old Case knives were the thing back in the day for whittling and digging out splinters or cutting patches for bicycle inner tubes etc. The handles still hold a sentimental spot.

They aren’t the most functional knives that’s true. I’ve got a Benchmade and a Kershaw that are certainly easier to use with one hand, not to mention the Swiss Army knives I have. The Case knives “speak to me” with their heritage, workmanship, quality, and attention to detail. I guess it’s sort of like how I prefer mechanical watches to their quartz counterparts.

Last edited:
Well, there is always the Russlock as I mentioned above if you do want one-handed opening.

A lot of the hard-core Case guys don't seem to like it but I've had mine for a while now...don't remember exactly but probably bought it in 2015 or 2016...and have carried it on-and-off regularly(heck this post may even make me get it out to carry tomorrow). I've been very happy with mine.

Well, there is always the Russlock as I mentioned above if you do want one-handed opening.

A lot of the hard-core Case guys don't seem to like it but I've had mine for a while now...don't remember exactly but probably bought it in 2015 or 2016...and have carried it on-and-off regularly(heck this post may even make me get it out to carry tomorrow). I've been very happy with mine.
Pretty sure my next purchase is a Mini Copperlock, just having trouble picking the handle. Thinking about the smooth chestnut bone

I have a one blade folding knife with a 3" blade and leather belt holder that a vendor gave me some forty years ago. Might be a Case knife. Last time I saw it the brass portion of the handles was tarnishing somewhat. Probably need to have it spiffied up before I pass it along to someone in the family.

I'm a Case fan, have two (medium and large) ... I'd have to look up the model names. Guess that means I'm not a Case fanatic :D

Picked up the first one when purchasing a set of kitchen knives a few years ago. Got me back into knife collection, to include Swiss Army, Leatherman, etc.

Carry in my pocket everyday. Have a couple others as well. Love them all.
16687108127231758023248254186777.jpg

Just a heavy knife with no pocket clip or one handed deployment or closing which is just a nice have. Gotta shove the hand in the pocket to fish it out but it usually goes sideways and is uncomfortable. I bought the belt clip for it but it's not only intrusive and annoying but just plain boomer and I'm not into it and every guy I've met that carries a knife on a belt clip just tends to be a stuck up A hole in general for some reason. That's why I main the knife i have or instead use use a small stockman like my very old but oh so well made buck 303 that i keep in my mini pocket.

Bought a new USA made buck 303 instead of the Chinese 373 thinking it'll be to the same or better quality level of my 35 year old 303 stockman that's also made in the US. Boy was i sadly disappointed. US made bucks are straight junk these days. Poor fit and the buck logo literally fell off. Returned it. The buck 303 i have is incredibly perfect even after 35 years of use. Finish and fitment is still like brand new. zero gap or slop of any kind and everything lines up laser straight and is sill rock solid. Blades worn a bit so i sharpen very conservatively.
Funny everything you don't like for a knife I love. Glad they make both and we can have choices. Have no experience w Bucks though

I have a sharpening business in North Texas, and occasionally dabble in knife restoration. Last week I did a minor restoration of a Case folder for a young gentleman who wants to give it to his dad. I sanded the blade to remove rust and ugliness, then buffed with a sisal wheel and emory compound. Also polished the bolsters and made it razor sharp. I hope his pop likes it.

2.jpeg0.jpeg4.jpeg
3.jpeg1.jpeg5.jpeg

I've got a few dozen Case knives, assorted, but more medium Stockman than any other. I've toured the factory in Bradford. Great knives. Made in the USA, the best part.

Reactions: wlk
I have a sharpening business in North Texas, and occasionally dabble in knife restoration. Last week I did a minor restoration of a Case folder for a young gentleman who wants to give it to his dad. I sanded the blade to remove rust and ugliness, then buffed with a sisal wheel and emory compound. Also polished the bolsters and made it razor sharp. I hope his pop likes it.

View attachment 127289View attachment 127283View attachment 127285
View attachment 127286View attachment 127287View attachment 127288
I’m sure his dad will love it, FANTASTIC work!

Back