What are your EDC knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the correct category for this

For those who carry a knife with them, what is are your favorite EDC (every day carry)?

Here is a list of some (not all) of what I have and what I like and don't like.

Boker Magnum Fast Forward-I got this China made Boker for dirt cheap ($10.45) and it's actually a very solid build. Nice G10 scales and came with the blade centered and smooth action. Even came with a tool to adjust the blade and clip. Downside is the 440a blade is cheap and easily dulls. But I can beat this thing and if I break it...no big deal.

Buck Spitfire-This is my casual EDC that looks super nice with anodized aluminum scales and a fully polished blade. More for showing off, but still useful when called into action. US made and a good build.

Buck Vantage Force-US made, Sandvik blade, nice aluminum scales...this should be my favorite knife. But it came new with the blade off-center and despite pulling it apart, cleaning and lubing it, and trying to line everything up I could not center the blade. The action is not smooth either. Current being sent into Buck for warranty work. I've read they are really good about taking care of their customers. How they handle this will determine if this is my last Buck or not.

Gerber EZ Out Skeleton-US Made, light weight, comfortable in the hand. Not what I would consider a heavy duty knife though. The 420HC blade is good but with the fine edge Gerber puts on these it doesn't retain it well. It would be better to have something like a 40 degree inclusive edge. But hey, I paid $22 for it so can't complain too much.

Benchmade Mini-Griptillian-The nicest knife I own (it was a gift) with a 154cm steel blade and the great Axis Lock mechanism. My biggest complaint is I wish it were a full size Griptillian and not the Mini. Also Benchmade sets the blades at 60 degree inclusive which is great for a survival knife, machete, or hatchet but not for a nice blade like this. It took some work but I ground it to a 40 degree inclusive and it made it a better knife for everyday use. I would happily trade for a full size if anyone is interested in exchanging.

I own several other knives from Puma, Kershaw, Imperial but these are my favorites. Some day I might step up and get myself a Spyderco Para Military, they look really nice!

Had this in my pocket so long I've lost track of how long I've had it. Only been sharpened once and it locks up tight as the day I got it.

Of course if we want to talk about EDC I can't leave out the Kershaws Companion.

Last edited:
Leatherman Rev

Never been much of a knife carrying guy but once I figured out how useful they are, I haven't stopped.

I am a big fan of inexpensive, but good quality knives. I have a variety that I rotate.

Sanrenmu H03
Sanrenmu 7010
Sanrenmu 6040
Sanrenmu T11
Buck Bantam BBW
Victorinox Pioneer Solo
Sanrenmu A148
Buck mini trapper
Buck Nobleman
Rite Edge Pelican
Mossberg Lockback Hunter (Buck 112 copy)

None of them are big, scary tactical knives and none are knives I'd worry too much about losing. Every now and then I give one away as an excuse to buy something new. Plus, giving one away is a service, because everyone should carry a knife, right?

Chris Reeve Sabenza
Spyderco Tenacious
Spyder Paramilitary 2
Kershaw Oso Sweet
Kershaw Chill

At work: Buck 112

Not at work: Hand made in Spain Muela lockback with olive wood grips or mid-sized Leatherman.

Under seat of motorcycle: Over-sized Leatherman w/hex bit adapter.

About as important as what you carry is how well you sharpen. Unless the steel and heat treatment is awful, you can create a wicked edge on almost anything. If you spend a lot for a knife with a blade made of very expensive "super steel" it may hold its edge longer, but, you might be reluctant to use it for actual cutting tasks due to its cost.

I very much like watching knife reviews on YouTube. Take a look at some of the ridiculous things carried by Jim Skelton. They are works of art, not something you'd carry to cut open boxes.

Gerber Air Ranger. Carry it all the time, but as a tool, so I'm not certain "EDC" applies. Bought it a few years back, when I needed a knife often (was in the field for a while, and a good knife is essential for tasks like opening MREs...).

It's with me most of the time, but only because a knife is so useful, not because I have any illusions about its use as a self defense weapon.

There's a multitool in every car of mine for the same reason: utility. I carried a Leatherman in my g-suit pocket back in the early 90s. Used it a few times in the cockpit as well, and had I needed a survival tool, I can't think of anything better. FWIW, I had a radio, K-bar and other tools as well. All standard issue, but nothing beats a good multi-tool and the Leatherman was a revolution on that front.

Last edited:
Laugh all you want, but it's a Victorinox Swiss Army "Classic" SD. It's on my keychain 24/7, except for when I travel. For $13 you can't go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YVB2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

4176SP96teL.jpg

^That was my EDC knife for well over twenty years. I only became interested in single blade knives a couple of years ago. Victorinox/Wenger (same company now) have proprietary steel that is somewhat on the soft side, but sharpens easily and takes a very keen edge. Plus, the scissors and toothpick were quite handy for me. I still have my Wenger version of that knife. Very good value - around $10.

Harbor freight Gordon folding knife for everyday casual. $4

Walmart ozark trail folding knife with the wood scales removed for running. $10

Yes the Victorinox Classic SD is also on my key chain, but the blade is good for cutting tape on packaging and not much else. More of a key fob than anything else (unless trying to get through airport security, then it is a weapon...lost one that way).

I also carry a Kershaw A100C multi-tool in my truck

I carry a Spyderco Dragonfly 2, mostly due blade length limits in Chicago. I'd probably carry a slightly larger knife if I could (~2.75-3").

30hlc1f.jpg

I've got a few other Spydercos, mostly for camping use, the Ambitious, and an Endura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back