Any credibility to RAT 540 Valvoline Maxlife review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading RAT 540 oil review and came across his testing of Valvoline Maxlife ATF claiming it is pure junk. I personally have used Maxlife ATF for years and it appears on this site to be well liked. Not sure how RAT 540 says it is so bad.

Here is the link: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Here are his words: • AUTOMOTIVE – Valvoline MAXLife, Multi-Vehicle ATF, synthetic, for High Mileage Vehicles, red bottle. It was tested several times, as are all oils I test, but this ATF is so poorly formulated, that it IMMEDIATELY SEIZED and FAILED EVERY TIME it was tested, which resulted in a 0 psi value. Of course that “exact same” Engineering Torture Test was used, that every other oil is subjected to here on this Blog. And 99% of all other oils tested do NOT seize, including the five other good performing ATF’s above, that performed just fine. For better or worse, I can only post the test results the way they came out.

This ATF’s performance is so shockingly bad, that I do NOT recommend using it. And most anyone reading this Blog, is probably interested in using what is BEST for their vehicle. So, I suggest selecting from the five other ATF’s above, that all performed well.

I was reading RAT 540 oil review and came across his testing of Valvoline Maxlife ATF claiming it is pure junk. I personally have used Maxlife ATF for years and it appears on this site to be well liked. Not sure how RAT 540 says it is so bad.

Here is the link: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Here are his words: • AUTOMOTIVE – Valvoline MAXLife, Multi-Vehicle ATF, synthetic, for High Mileage Vehicles, red bottle. It was tested several times, as are all oils I test, but this ATF is so poorly formulated, that it IMMEDIATELY SEIZED and FAILED EVERY TIME it was tested, which resulted in a 0 psi value. Of course that “exact same” Engineering Torture Test was used, that every other oil is subjected to here on this Blog. And 99% of all other oils tested do NOT seize, including the five other good performing ATF’s above, that performed just fine. For better or worse, I can only post the test results the way they came out.

This ATF’s performance is so shockingly bad, that I do NOT recommend using it. And most anyone reading this Blog, is probably interested in using what is BEST for their vehicle. So, I suggest selecting from the five other ATF’s above, that all performed well.
Highly suspect. I don't pay attention to this guy. I'm not one to put much weight into simple bench tests. We often see those tests by certain oil marketers. Oils have to be tested in actual operating engines and transmissions and torn down.

Last edited:
Lol, if maxlife was as junk as he claims it to be there would be class action suits left and right along with the blown up transmissions left and right and people clamoring about shift issues. He must be trolling.

So I don't read this morons crap but i decided to take a gander as it's Sunday and this is what I'm seeing. He directly correlates wear protection in flat tappet cams to oil pressure 1:1. So, da dubble da oil pressure, da half da less metal.... And basically just completely disregards the anti wear additives, the hths, the cam spring pressure, the metallurgy ect. Just the psi multiple. The italicized circus begins below.

So, The CURE for Flat Tappet Cam Lobe Failures. is my number 1 BEST wear protection capability motor oil of all time, which is:

Modern, low zinc 5W30 Quaker State Full Synthetic, API SP = 152,674 psi. This oil’s wear protection capability out performs EVERY modern street oil, EVERY high ZDDP motor oil, and EVERY motor oil on the market today. PERIOD!!!

This Quaker State motor oil provides:

TWICE as much wear protection as high ZDDP 10W30 Driven GP-1, Synthetic Blend Racing Oil.

2.1 times as much wear protection as high ZDDP 0W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1.

2.1 times as much wear protection as high ZDDP 10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1.

2.4 times as much wear protection as high ZDDP 10W30 Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Hi-Performance Oil.

2.5 times as much wear protection as high ZDDP 10W30 Comp Cams Muscle Car & Street Rod Oil.

2.5 times as much wear protection as high ZDDP 10W40 Torco TR-1 Racing Oil with MPZ.

3 times as much wear protection as high ZDDP 10W30 Comp Cams “Break-In Oil”.

3.1 times as much wear protection as high ZDDP 30wt Lucas “Break-In Oil”.

Again, I could go on, and on, but you get the idea.

And this is the other part

10W30 Driven GP-1, Synthetic Blend Racing Oil = 73,443 psi
zinc = 1248
phos = 1079
This oil’s psi value is well BELOW the safe psi value for any flat tappet engine. So, a flat tappet engine using this oil, is a cam failure just waiting to happen. But, according to him, this is a great oil because it has a lot of ZDDP in it.

0W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1, partial synthetic = 71,377 psi
zinc = 1621 ppm
phos = 1437 ppm
This oil’s psi value is well BELOW the safe psi value for any flat tappet engine. So, a flat tappet engine using this oil, is a cam failure just waiting to happen.

10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1, partial synthetic = 71,206 psi
zinc = 1557 ppm
phos = 1651 ppm
This oil’s psi value is well BELOW the safe psi value for any flat tappet engine. So, a flat tappet engine using this oil, is a cam failure just waiting to happen.

10W30 Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Hi-Performance Oil = 62,538 psi
zinc = 2116 ppm
phos = 1855 ppm

10W30 Comp Cams Muscle Car & Street Rod Oil, synthetic blend = 60,413 psi
zinc = 1673 ppm
phos = 1114 ppm

10W40 Torco TR-1 Racing Oil with MPZ, conventional = 59,905 psi
zinc = 1456 ppm
phos = 1150 ppm

10W30 Comp Cams “Break-In Oil”, conventional = 51,749 psi
zinc = 3004 ppm
phos = 2613 ppm

30wt Lucas “Break-In Oil”, conventional = 49,455 psi
zinc = 4483 ppm
phos = 3660 ppm

I could go on, and on, but you get the idea. Once again, this proves he has “zero” credibility, and that the idea of “factory” high ZDDP motor oils being great, is in fact, only a MYTH!!! even if he cannot grasp that.

And “factory” high ZDDP Break-In Oils are typically THE WORST OF THE WORST “factory” high ZDDP Oils.

Extremely poor performing “factory” high ZDDP motor oils, and “factory” high ZDDP Break-In Oils have been destroying flat tappet engines for years. But, he never even considered that there could be a wear protection capability problem with his beloved high ZDDP motor oils. He is simply incompetent and clueless.

This is just funny. The man is clinical upstairs.

No. There is no credibility. In fact, like political topics, the rat 540 blog has become a flashpoint for bad behavior on the site because his results are in fact, so ridiculous.

So, it’s lock time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back