Any cars you regret buying? - My '14 CR-V experience

I had one of worst cars made, maybe besides a yugo, in Army I was poor, so bought a fiat x-19, my cousin has a fiat strada also garbage. What a piece of crap, one day the car just dumped all the oil on ground when in line to go through check at base entrance, that was fun. I left it in parking spot, eventually was towed and never claimed it.

I had one of worst cars made, maybe besides a yugo, in Army I was poor, so bought a fiat x-19, my cousin has a fiat strada also garbage. What a piece of crap, one day the car just dumped all the oil on ground when in line to go through check at base entrance, that was fun. I left it in parking spot, eventually was towed and never claimed it.
Those X-19s were so sweet looking! Somewhere I have a Hotwheels one from the 1970s (y)

PT Cruiser (Purchased new, very well maintained, DD by household female types ~13 years/250k:
  • Positives: It did have a lot of features, tons of flexible storage space and despite wicked torque steer very good acceleration. Good range, good forward and side visibility. Above average (For it's price) radio and interior materials. Fit and finish good.

Now the bad: (Note, just about everything was a huge PITA to work on; mostly too tight quarters and when necessary shop labor hours reflected the same). Overall, most of the major components were either undersized or reversed engineered to fit in confined spaces... Thus they underperformed and wore out sooner and had a high failure rate. Even buying OEM, component quality was below average.
  • Blown trans (Thankfully Chrysler covered it). Did develop a little drip in it's later years, not worth fixing (Pass due to age)
  • #1 chronic / overall expensive: Motor-mounts; replaced 3 times :cry: at $1k+ a pop; seemed to just degrade and fail every 3-4 years, beyond my ability and labor was very high
  • Brakes: very much undersized, maybe user error, but in all my life, never ran thru brakes like this... 2-3 years would burn thru inside pads... And the rears: ****: I think my first Tacoma went 250k on its first set... PT Cruiser 30-40k max
  • A/C system: I want to say 2 or 3 major failures... $1 - $2k each. Even when working, A/C was fair at best (Heater and Heated seats were always kicking though); last few years we had to just say screw it and suffer (Of course engine heat radiated thru the firewall like nothing else.)
  • Engine Cooling: Far higher and more expensive failure rate than any other vehicle I have owned. It happens, but after around the 8 year mark never could keep it 100% tight; always a whiff of anti-freeze and a drop on the floor here and there. Not to forget the $1k+ thermostat/fan replacement (Labor)
  • Disappointing life and performance of OEM shocks/struts (Like the brakes, had to be undersized), and very expensive
  • Crappy oil filter location, oil pan made of glass, weird oil drain plug with built in gasket, no replaceable $0.50 gasket, had to buy a new ~$10 plug every few years or live with the drip. Dip stick [plastic tip] shrank and had to be replaced a few times
  • Crap plastic the headlights were made from would yellow seemingly overnight at the 4-5 year mark
  • Again; percentage and frequency of engine or major component failures way above average. (Not to mention repeats like P/S and WP)
  • Maybe it was the drivers, but tore thru tires and batteries faster than expected
  • Most infuriating: ~yr 7; Fog lights will not turn off 100%; more like 90% off... Screw it, pull fuse... Then, will not pass inspection (VA: If it has fogs, they have to work)... problem is in the stalk (But clock spring is always suspect)... $$$ in labor alone, smart move is drop 7-8 bills and replace both stalks and the clock spring... Ok, it happens... but of course then it happens a second time before she gives up the ghost :mad:
  • Most interesting (Also insulting): Limited Edition chrome "Mag" wheels... Random slow (Annoying) tire leaks... ACTUALLY the "Mag wheels" are really just plain steelies with a chrome facade welded to the front, one by one around the 7-9 year mark the wheel/weld junction corrodes and SLOWLY lets air out; ~$300 each IIRC
  • Terrible turning radius; like a 30 year old piece of industrial/aircraft equipment
  • Never actually blew, but after ~ 60k engine sounded like an old angry tractor

For me it was a 2010 Chevy Equinox. Seats were comfortable (leather) the rest of the interior was cheap rattling plastic, and non of the controls were intuitive.

The biggest issue I had with it was the drivetrain. The 2.4 ecotec was gutless. The sticker said 22 city/32 highway. Best mileage I ever achieved was 24. I have a mostly (90%) highway at that. Every other vehicle I have driven on this route (save my wife’s Cruze) has always trended toward the higher end of the mpg range on the epa estimates. For example my b6 Passat I drive now averages 27.5 over the same route with a similar epa rating to the Equinox.

The equinox also loved oil. At one point it was using almost a quart per 500 miles. That’s right around the time I finally broke down and rebuilt the motor and replaced the cats. I bought it used so I don’t know how long it had been but if oil, but I assume from reading on these vehicles they came from factory burning a quart every 1k miles.

Yeah. Bought a 2004 Ford Explorer Limited on hold over. Transmission failed at 59,000, I then bough an extended warranty through Ford (live and learn) and it started doing it again awhile later, exact same symptoms but they said it was likely something not to do with drivetrerrain so the extended warranty wouldn't apply. A little Google fu showed Ford didn't really have a fix, junk. I traded it on a new Ford Fusion with a six speed. Awesome car. Next was the 2017 F150 with the leaking oil pan that can't be fixed. Traded that on an updated 2022 same model and engine with a proper oil pan. Someday I might learn.

Two jeeps 90 n 91 wrangler, both lemon lawed.. 83 f150 lemon law also.

Cars I loved the most.
72 porsche 911 targa
85 porsche 944
76 lancia beta montecarlo scorpion

I think this post deserves an update after complaining about it for so long as an OP.

I sold the car last month. It is the FIRST car in my life that I did not lose money. I would not say I made a profit, but I was at break-even including tax, winter tires, etc. all expenses except insurance and gas. I know used car prices are dropping, but I think I sold at the right time.

After almost 3.5 years and 15000 miles, my opinion about 2012-2014 CR-V is still the same. I would not recommend anyone to buy it unless you are a diehard Honda fan with a limited budget and need compact SUV. Even if that's the case, try different things, get out of your comfort zone and check the RAV4, CX-5 etc.

In fact, this CR-V is the reason why I would not buy another Honda again (except the Type-R) as a person who owned 7 Hondas before. I did not even consider the new Pilot when I was shopping for 3-row SUV.

Last edited:
I think our 2003 CRV is our least liked vehicle, but it was free so... My wife had a Civic that she liked, but as a 2001 it was definitely a bad year and even she will point out its flaws. That Civic was the only lemon we had, a/c repairs every other year, snapped an axle, rusted out an oil pan... I was happy to see it go, her less so as her new car got less mpg. I think she was happy to see my Jetta go, it was towed twice (as opposed to her Civic's once), so we're even I guess. Neither of those two cars were that cheap in the end I guess.

I'm still on my fence with my Corolla, but that's mostly due to the financial aspect of it. Too new to know if it'll be a problem car or not, I just wish I hadn't spent the money.

I am riding our super reliable great driving fully loaded 2017 1.5T as I read this

Funny I feel the same as op about Subaru
Glad to hear you have no oil dilution issues. 2017+ CR-V is significantly better vehicle in every category, my opinion is only applicable for 2012-2014 MY.

My 1987 Scorpio; wonderful car, but parts and service cost more than the 535is I was running at the same time.
There was also a car that I regretted inheriting- my father's 1973 Bronco- a dog's breakfast, as the Brits put it. I hated it so much that I didn't consider the new Bronco for fear of a acquiring a bad case of PTSD.

Funny I found this thread, my biggest regret is also a Honda. 2010 Accord coupe with 6MT.
I was looking for a cheap MT car and this one came up, no rust so I bought it.
Engine is fine but boring and not enthusiastic for the power its supposed to make. Don't know if it's VTEC or something but it always feels like it's struggling to breathe at mid-range rpm, and only wakes up above 5K or so. The J35 is defined as smooth, well I probably should lower my standards, even after all the POS cars I had...
Interior quality is poor at best, fit and finish not worthy of what that car sold for when new.
And then the manual transmission is the worst feeling, clunky thing I've ever driven since 1970's Army trucks. I know why MT cars don't sell well in the US :)

On the good side, despite what looks to me like discutable undercarriage finish, it has resisted 10 years in the rust belt without any sign of corrosion. "Premium sound system" sounds good enough, and AC is still very good too. Oh and the fuel economy is surprisingly good for a 3.5, I was expecting much worse!

I've never owned a car i didn't have fun with. A 2001 cavalier had horrible seats though, after 5 minutes you felt like you had been driving for hours. The reason I like the crappy cars i owned was because I bought them for cheap, got them to run and drive good and not leak, and then sold them and doubled my money. Exept for a 5cyl turbo Volvo, i decided to keep it for a few months and ended up rolling it.

Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. It wasn't so much the engine, it was the low quality and feel of, well, everything and that it reminded me of why i hated FWD at the limits but also that Mitsubishi(and Chrysler) had a direct competitor with a larger 4 cyl. also turbo but with RWD and the Mit. was higher quality.

The other that i regret was a Triumph TR7. One day the brakes simply disappeared and on another day on the highway, the head blew.

The only Honda car I have ever owned is the Legend. Not comparable to more recent models. I wouldn't buy a Honda if it's going to sit outside it's whole life. Honda paint doesn't seem to last very long outside.

I've never owned a car i didn't have fun with. A 2001 cavalier had horrible seats though, after 5 minutes you felt like you had been driving for hours. The reason I like the crappy cars i owned was because I bought them for cheap, got them to run and drive good and not leak, and then sold them and doubled my money. Exept for a 5cyl turbo Volvo, i decided to keep it for a few months and ended up rolling it.
How did that Volvo handle the rollover?

How did that Volvo handle the rollover?
Really good, actually. The glass broke and the passenger door wouldn't open but other than that and the broken suspension, nothing was badly damaged.

It wasn't a fast rollover though, the car paused laying on its side for a second.

Attachments

• IMG_20221213_093223928_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221213_093223928_HDR.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20221210_145744489_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221210_145744489_HDR.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 15
Back