Any cars you regret buying? - My '14 CR-V experience

I regret buying my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. Cool car and certainly a learning experience for me with regards to diesels, but what a raging pile of crap. I mean the Jeep Liberty alone was crappy, but then you throw an Italian built diesel in there and you have a recipe for disaster. Mine ended up sending a rod through the block at 120k and I cheered when it got dragged away by the Pick-n-pull truck.

Biggest POS we ever owned was a 2001 Subaru Outback, 5 speed manual. Bought new by us and well taken care of. BUT, it had bad wheel bearings on all four corners (and they were stupid expensive to replace), clutch chatter because of a bad flywheel (replaced clutch twice only to find out there was a recall for the flywheel that the Subaru dealer didn't know about), leaking head gaskets (Subaru's official fix was a bottle of radiator stop leak), HORRIBLE snow traction (5-speed has a less intelligent center diff, which I didn't know about), entire rear taillight electrical including taillights had to be replaced, and the Subaru dealership experience was never a good one.

My BIL and SIL are in love with the brand but they have nothing but problems with them. I never understood the love for these things.

Scott

My wife an I had two Subaru's, a 2009 Legacy 2.5i and a 2007 Legacy GT Spec.B. Neither gave us major problems in the time we owned them but I could see the writing on the wall and I was not willing to wait to find out.

The 2.5i did need valve cover gaskets at like 85k, which should have been a simple fix, but the boxer engine made it suck since you could not get the covers off the studs without hitting the shock tower. I had to lift the engine off the mounts. And then I am pretty sure the head gaskets may have been on the way out when I traded it on my F150. I don't know for sure.

My relatives all love Subarus and all have had issues. Transmissions being the major issue. My uncle has had to replace the 5 speed in his Outback XT twice I believe and my aunts CVT blew in here Forester XT pretty early on. Apparently it was so common that the dealer could not source a new transmission and had to install a reman'd unit.

Biggest regret happened this year. Bought a 2006 trailblazer with only 116,000 miles. Looked great. Always wanted one as I have a bit of an I-6 fetish. The atlas I-6 in it is awesome. The suv around the engine was absolute hot garbage. No wonder they’re so cheap used. After replacing the transmission, chasing numerous electrical gremlins and never getting it to idle and take off just right without hesitating, I finally got it in decent enough shape to sell to someone who will never notice the hesitation. I made it reliable but I was so tired of even looking at that thing at that point. Still somehow broke even on it. Learned a lesson that only cost sweat equity.

Yup. My dad has a 2008 Trailblazer SS and I am not sure if there is a single part in the car he has not replaced at this point besides the engine and axle.

We have '16 CRV currently at 86K miles; very comfortable, quite, and reliable; We like it; it does burn some oil though but I keep an eye on it regularly, so been great thus far

IMG_2467.jpeg

Last edited:
My 1st car was a '64 Corvair. Don't ask. I will never tell anyone this again.
I leased a 2013 Accord LX Sport. Loved it; shoulda bought it at lease end. I let the jackass talk me into leasing another. I hate leases.
We leased a 2018 RX450h. I should have test drove the F Sport, but I got some bad information about them. So we ended up getting the 2021 F Sport. Another stupid lease.

Did I say I hate leases?

1996 Honda Civic. I don’t think, really, that it was the car’s fault. I did experience a little back soreness in it and found the seat to be a little crooked, when measured, like the cushions weren’t straight to the frame, and that tipped the scales for me. It’s just that I really wanted the car, thought it would be perfect, and when it wasn’t, figured it was the cars fault and wanted another. Rinse, wash, repeat. That one was the worse for me. I had it 10 months, bought it new, and sold it for what I paid for it minus tax. It was also my first automatic - and that saddened me for a while … might have never sold it if it had been a 5spd. But truth be told I had the same experience a few many times. I focus on vehicles too much. Wisening up to it was hard, but very helpful.

Thanks for the writeup–I appreciate the detail. I'm a Honda shill, and am currently driving a 2007 Civic 5 sp manual.

I've also complained about the following, and concur it's an unusable power range:

dumb Honda engineers kept the VTEC engagement point at 5200 rpm instead of lowering it down to 4000 rpm range. As a result, you only have 1200-1300 rpm to accelerate with decent torque/power.

I regret buying our 2001 Lexus RX300 AWD. We bought it new and I maintained it from the beginning.
It was just about as much trouble as any of my worst domestic vehicles that I owned prior.
The engine, transmission and final assembly: 100% Japan

I have actually had better success with my American made Altima's since 2004. Not perfect but, better than that Lexus.

^^^No seriously!
Its MSRP was >$40K(in 2001) and we got it for ~$37K + tax, yada, yada, yada

*It rode nicely on smooth pavement but crashed over less than perfect roads and for the money, had poor bump absorption
*Great body structure and fit & finish but, lacked sound insulation of lesser SUVs and especially for a LEXUS
*Brake pedal was sooooo TOYOTA which means, MUSHY
*Steering again was sooooo TOYOTA which means SLOPPY(very 70s BUICK)
*Then the problems started right about the 2nd year of ownership with O2 & AF sensors which were not covered under the warranty(2 yrs on sensors). And they repeated themselves over the next 13 yrs...we owned it for 15 yrs total. You'd thing I would have gotten rid of it sooner.
*Fuel economy was never where the EPA rating so to say it was poor is an under statement
*Failed window switches, ABS, cruise control, HVAC blend door that clicked all the time even after repair, catalytic converters a-plenty and then, knock sensors. Finally the tranny died after we sold it. And I changed the ATF 7X's in my ownership with the proper ATF.

Don't get me wrong, there were some good things I liked but not for a LEXUS. There just wasn't enough that I did like for the money.

2005 dodge grand caravan and 2014 chrysler town and country. Loved the functionality of the vans, but just way too many issues. I got to know the service department at the dealer very well when under warranty. If I brought home another Chrysler product I think my wife might divorce me.

2005 Silverado 2500HD with the LLY diesel. I should have lemon lawed it after my first trip pulling a 6000# trailer on flat ground in 80 degree weather and the fan was howling because the crappy cooling system couldnt keep up. The head gaskets going at 105k was the last straw.

Our most disappointing car was a 2008 Honda Accord with the 3.5L V6. Oil consumption, fouled spark plugs, transmission shutter, multiple recalls - I think we got rid of it after 1 year.

^^^No seriously!
Its MSRP was >$40K(in 2001) and we got it for ~$37K + tax, yada, yada, yada

*It rode nicely on smooth pavement but crashed over less than perfect roads and for the money, had poor bump absorption
*Great body structure and fit & finish but, lacked sound insulation of lesser SUVs and especially for a LEXUS
*Brake pedal was sooooo TOYOTA which means, MUSHY
*Steering again was sooooo TOYOTA which means SLOPPY(very 70s BUICK)
*Then the problems started right about the 2nd year of ownership with O2 & AF sensors which were not covered under the warranty(2 yrs on sensors). And they repeated themselves over the next 13 yrs...we owned it for 15 yrs total. You'd thing I would have gotten rid of it sooner.
*Fuel economy was never where the EPA rating so to say it was poor is an under statement
*Failed window switches, ABS, cruise control, HVAC blend door that clicked all the time even after repair, catalytic converters a-plenty and then, knock sensors. Finally the tranny died after we sold it. And I changed the ATF 7X's in my ownership with the proper ATF.

Don't get me wrong, there were some good things I liked but not for a LEXUS. There just wasn't enough that I did like for the money.
May father's lease on of those that ran bad out of the box. engine had tip in flat spot and suspension bottomed out easily in rear. Japaneses Camry that's all. But it had the "Gold" package! Big Whoop. I sould of talked Dad into a BMW M Roadster.

I Found out out what was wrong with my new 2014 NIssan giving poor mileage (23mpg)
The Air filter (denso) was saturated in oil from the factory and it fouled the MAF sensor. But not before the cat got cooked.
I put a cheap STP paper unit in and removed the MAF and cleaned it with CRC MAF cleaner.
The MIL reporting has been desensitized so much on OBD the are not flagging fuel trims being way off.
And pre-cat Lambda sense is the final word there is not failsafe reporting on them.

Dealers don't seem to want to diagnose these issues or most any warranty issue for that matter unless a part is falling off.

I bought my oldest son a 2006 Ford Focus when he was in high school. I wanted him to learn to drive a stick and it was literally the only car I could find locally with a manual. The car had damage when I bought it. The owner had hit something on the highway and the radiator, condenser, and support bracket were all bent in. The front bumper was also cracked. I replaced the parts myself and had the bumper painted, which added about $1100 to the cost of the car. I also discovered some paperwork in the glove box indicating the car had been in a fairly major accident and had extensive work done to the rear-end. So yeh, a car that had been in two collisions.

Beyond that, this car was just a maintenance nightmare. The 2.0 duratec motor was actually reliable, as was the manual transmission, but everything else just fell apart - window regulators (3 of the 4), intake manifold funner flaps rattled (replaced the manifold), weird electrical gremlins I could never figure out, dash lights that would randomly quit working then start working, broken exterior door handles (twice), torque strut motor mount (probably 3 times, but I kept buying aftermarket crap), steering rack started leaking at about 80k miles, front control arm bushings shot at around 80k. And, the interior of that car just fell apart. The plastics got brittle and stuff was constantly breaking or cracking, the seats were junk, steering wheel leather came apart. I know part of the issue was the driver - a knucklehead 17-year old - but the car itself was just not well made. When he finally went to basic training in his early twenties, I unloaded that car for about $2k and was glad to have gotten that much!
That makes our 02 Focus a walk in the park :LOL: Did drop a valve seat, went through 3 ignition coils, yeah the motor mounts. But at least the interior isn't bad.

The 88 GMC S15 although I didn't buy it I shouldn't of keep it as long as I did. I ponder why I just didn't work more and buy something better than messing with that old truck all those years during high school and college. UPS trucks could outrun it, multiple ECM's, alot of sensors and on. Debating my on my grandpa's 00 Dakota. I put alot of work bringing it back. But now it's knocking and not sure where it's coming from, the transmission hangs on most shifts. Had it for 3 years but I'm not fixing it if either one goes.

Most of my vehicles were junk to begin with so I don't have many. But there's some I couldn't get out of junk status.

Back