Any bad experiences with mechanical oil pressure gauges?

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has any bad experiences with mechanical oil pressure gauges?

I've been back and fourth on this, and will be installing it on our regularly driven 2015 Subaru Outback.

I would be using the upgraded brass tubing and doing a thorough install.

I'm installing a bypass filtration setup, and have minimal clearance at the OP switch for an electrical sending unit....alternatively I can pull a reading furthur down the line.

Thoughts?

in my opinion, more harm than good can come from installing one. You drive a modern car. You’d probably have the only 2015 Outback in North America with such a gauge.

Thanks guys, I think that sums it up! I'll go with an electrical gauge.

Much appreciated

You have to watch alternator to sending unit clearance on most of these, I use an electric with a Japanese motor. PM if you need install and parts info without going through plumbing elbows etc.

I installed one of the super cheap electric gauges on my Mustang. Was a lot of hassle, wish I would have gotten the oil filter adaptor so that I could have screwed the sensor in where I had a lot more room to work with.

All the above problems were caused by poor installation. If you, properly install and maintain the mechanical gauge plumbing there won't be any problems. but the most important thing is why the bypass filter? The engine barring any mechanical problems [Subaru's questionable reliability ] A properly maintained engine using Jiffy lube filters and oil will out last the transmission and chassis.

Unless you're slinging your Outback through the twistys and need the quicker response of a mechanical gauge, I'd go electric. It's hard to beat the reliability of a copper wire.

Thanks guys, I've ordered an electrical.

I'll respond on my reasoning for a bypass setup when the dust settles!

Thanks again

I had one break in my 66 Corvette. The line feeding the gauge broke. It dumped oil all over my foot while driving.

My dad put one in his brand new Plymouth Horizon.

Two weeks in, my mom was driving us in his car to pick him up from work. She smelled something burning but was 1/2 mile from the office so she kept going.

Burned the car to the ground, including my baby sister's stroller. I remember us being inconvenienced by having to carry her everywhere until the stroller was replaced.

We all think we're going to do quality installs with these universal kits from autozone, but, really, think it over. You'd tap into your car's essential arteries with what's essentially ice maker plastic line?

Back