Another Toyota Issue...09/10 Corolla Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yet another....Today's Automotive News

RECALL CRISIS
NHTSA fielding complaints about 2009-10 Toyota Corolla steering
Agency may open probe after reports of unintended veering
Neil Roland

WASHINGTON -- Toyota Motor Corp. faces yet another possible federal investigation, this time of the electric power steering in 2009 and 2010 Corollas.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is considering a formal investigation of alleged defects reported in the compact car, agency spokeswoman Karen Aldana said.
Automotive News found that the Corolla has been the subject of 83 power-steering complaints since April 2008, 76 of which have reported that the vehicle unexpectedly veers to the left or right at 40 miles an hour and up.
Complainants have compared the movement to being buffeted by strong winds, sliding on black ice, or hydroplaning. They said that after trying to straighten the car, it can overcorrect -- requiring the driver to use a tight, persistent, two-handed grip on the wheel to travel in a straight line.

I think the NHTSA is starting to try and find stuff wrong with Toyota's...or giving more weight to what might not have been scrutinized before.

Yeah, I know this is a 'conspiracy theory', but perhaps this American organization is sick of seeing Toyota wining the sales/reputation game, and wants to knock it down a peg.

Wouldn't suprise me.

You nailed it on the second part of your post, they are not trying to find stuff, they are acting on what real Toyota owners are reporting to them.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
You nailed it on the second part of your post, they are not trying to find stuff, they are acting on what real Toyota owners are reporting to them.

True, but perhaps they are getting to looking into it a 'bit quicker' than they might have before....hmmmm?

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing - if a company is using it's 'rep' to get people to buy cars that are being put together poorer and poorer, they should be nailed to the wall. But 'nitpcking' stuff that might not have been investigated as thoroughly says they are out for blood......

Losing steering control in a car going 40+mph isn't exactly nit-picking now, is it? Really?

What probably helped get the NHTSA more interested in this problem sooner is more the admissions that Toyota hid design flaws with the brakes on the Prius and was alleged to have destroyed documents pertaining to other problems rather than an alleged agenda by competitors.

It's one thing to have a stellar reputation based on actual customer service/caring/etc. It's another to have one because you just haven't been caught until now.....
27.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I think the NHTSA is starting to try and find stuff wrong with Toyota's...or giving more weight to what might not have been scrutinized before.

I know it looks like a shark following the scent of blood, but it makes sense: once you reveal very serious defects in most of a company's cars, you had better keep a sharp eye out in case the problem turns out to be even bigger than you thought.

Wait a minute. How many Corolla's do you think Toyota has sold? I don't know, but it's probably in the thousands, and they have had 83 complaints.

Call me a little cautious, but maybe low tire pressure, actual ruts in a road. No sir officer, I have not been drinking, the darn thing just turned left all by itself.

I have to try and apply some common since to this before a Toyota panic sets in. And no, I do not own a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I know it looks like a shark following the scent of blood, but it makes sense: once you reveal very serious defects in most of a company's cars, you had better keep a sharp eye out in case the problem turns out to be even bigger than you thought.
+1

And let's not forget the armchair quarterbacks who'd be screaming "why didn't the government DO SOMETHING sooner" if they didn't step in. Like I said in my other post, the pattern of deception has been established and that's going to cause mistrust and more intense scrutiny now.

I think it's like Consumer Reports used to give Toyota a free pass "because they're Toyota", now NHTSA has learned Toyota can have problems like anyone else.

John

Originally Posted By: opus1
Losing steering control in a car going 40+mph isn't exactly nit-picking now, is it? Really?

What probably helped get the NHTSA more interested in this problem sooner is more the admissions that Toyota hid design flaws with the brakes on the Prius and was alleged to have destroyed documents pertaining to other problems rather than an alleged agenda by competitors.

It's one thing to have a stellar reputation based on actual customer service/caring/etc. It's another to have one because you just haven't been caught until now.....
27.gif

Toyota has blatantly cheated in the world rally championship in the past, but I don't know if that is a symptom of corporate wide dishonesty. I imagine the pressure to not have problems with a car design during testing and to hold parts costs down has lead to some bad decisions by some bean counters and engineers...
It just shows that even Toyota has to watch that they get the fundamentals right everytime, in the past the big 3 didn't always do this and have learned their lesson. Now its toyota's turn.

Lets face it....Toyota is evil...their customers are stupid and their cars are junk which have been over hyped by the media for a decade....the current events are simply a result of all of the bad karma Toyota has spread throughout the universe over the past 50 years and all Toyota employees should be exterminated like the vermin they truly are....
lol.gif

Ok...is that good enough for you guys?

BTW, the NHTSA reports to the same guys who own 2 domestic car companies that compete with Toyota. Watch closely...you will other honest businesses destroyed the same way in the coming years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: opus1

27.gif

Toyota has blatantly cheated in the world rally championship in the past, but I don't know if that is a symptom of corporate wide dishonesty. I imagine the pressure to not have problems with a car design during testing and to hold parts costs down has lead to some bad decisions by some bean counters and engineers...
It just shows that even Toyota has to watch that they get the fundamentals right everytime, in the past the big 3 didn't always do this and have learned their lesson. Now its toyota's turn.

Yeah...on the geopolitical stage Canada has done much the same thing. Which is why their currency suffers so poorly.

Yeah, I know this is a 'conspiracy theory', but perhaps this American organization is sick of seeing Toyota wining the sales/reputation game, and wants to knock it down a peg.

Wouldn't suprise me.

It is very obvious to me. The gov wants GM & Chrysler to succeed in Mexico....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: John_K
I think it's like Consumer Reports used to give Toyota a free pass "because they're Toyota", now NHTSA has learned Toyota can have problems like anyone else.

John

CR is still drinking the kool aid and giving them the free pass.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Originally Posted By: John_K

John

CR is still drinking the kool aid and giving them the free pass.

They did briefly not recommend a couple of Toyotas.

John

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Norse
Lets face it....Toyota is evil...their customers are stupid and their cars are junk which have been over hyped by the media for a decade....the current events are simply a result of all of the bad karma Toyota has spread throughout the universe over the past 50 years and all Toyota employees should be exterminated like the vermin they truly are....
lol.gif

Ok...is that good enough for you guys?

BTW, the NHTSA reports to the same guys who own 2 domestic car companies that compete with Toyota. Watch closely...you will other honest businesses destroyed the same way in the coming years.

Yep, like I said it's LIES, ALL LIES!

Do you follow around everyone and post that?

What?!?! I'm just trying to help prove your crazy ideas!

Yeah...on the geopolitical stage Canada has done much the same thing. Which is why their currency suffers so poorly.

32.gif

Our currency does just fine... thank you very much.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Well, I guess we are almost at parity with the USD... Our economy really does better when we can only buy 7 US dimes for a loonie.
What this has to do with toyota using some poor parts I don't know?

Maybe this is also a lesson that drive by wire tech isn't really a good idea? Usually in most industry, equipment that is electonically controlled also has a physical switch so that no matter what the electronics are doing, the machine can be guaranteed to be shut off, no questions. I'm no electronics engineer but I assume they do this because there is no electronic equivalent of a fail safe switch? Programming code is still dependent on possibly faulty sensor inputs and building enough intellegence into a system to overcome this isn't practical or desireable. 1000's of lines of code to run power steering doesn't sound good to me either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back