Another too much oil in the sump thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I have done a bazillion Civic oil changes. I pull the plug, swap the filter, wait another 20 minutes or so, replace plug and (sometimes) new warsher, and pour in 4 quarts.
I find it really hard to understand how 3.8 quarts could make the dipstick read so high.

We have curbside recycling using gallon milk jug containers. The old oil fills 'er up....
Gonna reread you post in case I am missing something.
Is your pan intact, did it get smashed or something?

always drain after a decent ride about 30 min, jack so plug is in a lower position + let drip an hour or so depending on your schedule. you can easily drain some into a CLEAN container + put back whats needed.

Originally Posted by paulri
I found this post, in an earlier thread started by ZZMan: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ng-do-you-let-your-oil-drain#Post2080281

Originally Posted by Kestas

- For some engines prolonged drains can drain the oil pump to where it loses its prime. The engine will not develop oil pressure for quite a while on the first startup. This is likely only a rare occurance.

I actually had this happen once.

I guess when you are a mechanic long enough,
you see all kinds of nearly unbelievable stuff.

I purposely undershoot the refill by a half quart or so. I drive it a day or two, then check cold (like overnight) and add to fill. Works perfect every time.

Originally Posted by oliveoil
The vehicle needs to be level when the oil is drained. If it's up on ramps then jack the other end up to make it level before you drain. You'll get complete drain when the vehicle is level. (even though a little old oil will always remain in the engine).

While my car is on ramps, sometimes I will use a floor jack to lift the opposing rear wheel to the drain plug hole. (my plug is on the passenger side, so I will lift the rear left wheel)

Even after draining for an extended period and the dripping has stopped, lifting the rear wheel will cause a decent amount of oil to spill out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back