Another snowblower recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there was a thread about snowblowers just last week, but the requirements were somewhat different, so I thought I'd start a separate thread.

Say you live in the suburbs of Chicago and have about a 50ft paved driveway leading to a 2-car garage to clear plus some sidewalks, etc. You want something relatively reliable that won't be too hard to push (read: light(er)), yet will not take forever to do the job.

I started looking at this 21" Toro single-stage blower with 5.5hp Tecumseh 4-cycle engine:
http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrowers/gassinglestage/421Q.html

Any thoughts? Anything better in this price range? I know some people were recommending Craftsman.

Also, will single-stage be enough for those duties or do I need to look at two-stage? The two-stage seem to be significantly heavier, hence I was hoping to stay away from them...

Highly recommend Honda.
My Honda HS-35 is 22+ years old and still going strong.
That HS520A will be just the right size for your drive.

Get a John Deere They cost a tad more than the average one in the same class, but they are built like Sherman Tanks!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Get a John Deere They cost a tad more than the average one in the same class, but they are built like Sherman Tanks!
wink.gif

But remember not to buy anything JD from a big-box store. If you do, it's instantly nowhere near as good as the exact same item purchased from a JD store. I read it on the internet; it must be true.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Maybe also this Honda HS520A?

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/produ...&modelid=HS520A

I've been using the HS520 for 4 winters now, fantastic machine. Really throws snow, even the heavy and wet stuff. It goes a loooong way on a small tank of gas, too. I use it to clear my two driveways, sidewalks as well as the neighbours next to me and across the street. I even took it to work, carried it up several flights of stairs and cleared off the observing platform we have on top of the hangar. Love this machine, worth every penny.

Almost forgot, I run Redline 10w30 in it, it only holds 600ml and that does for the whole season. I change it in the spring so it is ready for the next winter.

I got an 8hp MTD type from Home Depot or Lowes (I can't remember) several years ago. I did my driveway and three others, along with several hundred feet of sidewalks (two trips to clear). Plus, I clear some of the backyard and back porch so the dog can go do her business without problems. It works great for all this.

It's held together pretty good in the five or so years I've had it. It will last many more with a minimum of care.

I might have wanted to have bought a little more. A light would have been nice. You can easily buy too little, but I think it would be hard to buy too much.

I have the 45" "Troy-built" with the Tecumseh Snowking engine (2005 Model with 13bph)--not the cheap Chinese engines they recently switched to. It is made in Canada and rocks. I can clear my 200' driveway that has an 8% incline in about 20 minutes. My drive is 14-20 feet wide!

"Get a John Deere. They cost a tad more than the average one in the same class, but they are built like Sherman Tanks!"

Dad has two JD 1032 (10hp, 32" path) snowblowers and while we've been able to keep the 1st one going for a couple decades, I think I've replaced every single part on it at least once except the engine shortblock and a couple of the largest pieces inside the case (which cracked and had to be re-welded!). If you say 'Sherman tank' because they were in fact junk, then I can agree.

The Ariens 11528 he bought a couple years ago is much better made and throws snow a great deal farther. The older JD is on its last legs and one more catastrophic failure and it's headed to the junkyard and the Ariens will become the primary blower.

The second JD he recently got used (I think it was for free) and has carb issues ... last time I tried, I could not get it started. He was having someone else look at it last I heard ... we'll see if it ever runs again.

"I have the 45" 'Troy-built' with the Tecumseh Snow-King engine (2005 Model with 13bph)"

I remember seeing this machine in a Home Depot (?) and drooling over it. For a 45" path, I'd want more than 13hp ... but still, I would love to have tried this thing on a long driveway. Once up and back and you'd be done.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back