Snowblower Recommendation Needed

While I love my toro single stage for its simplicity and manuverability.
you will definitely want a good 2 stage.
I'd suggest its worth it to get an ariens or toro with not the smallest motor and 24-28" width.
skip craftsman their snow blowers are cheap junk and fall apart unless you are lucky.

Ariens Deluxe 24-in 254-cu cm Two-stage for $1299 would be GREAT. electric start, "power steering", headlight, and good proven chute controls.
the 254 cu engine is a nice step up from the normal 208cc.

If you cant spring for the $1300
ariens has a classic model for 999$
Ariens compact 24" is 1199

Ariens Classic 24-in 208-cu cm Two-stage /W Electric Start​

Ariens Compact 24-in 223-cu cm Two-stage Self-propelled Gas Snow Blower with Push-button Electric Start;

IF you are more into TORO which is another great brand for snow blowers
This might be the best deal if you cant stretch for the 1300 ariens.

Power Max 824 OE 24 in. 252cc Two-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower -1149​

also available in 26" width for another 50$

Additional not relevant info 😀:
my current snowblower is a 1992? toro ccr 2450 and its on its last legs finally from rust 90% sure I'll be getting a new toro to replace it for my driveway and snow pattern the single stage is much better option for everything except the 200-250ft of sidewalk I typically clear.

There are plenty of good options but if you want proven durability and a trusted brand ariens and toro lead the pack.

Last edited:
While I love my toro single stage for its simplicity and manuverability.
you will definitely want a good 2 stage.
I'd suggest its worth it to get an ariens or toro with not the smallest motor and 24-28" width.
skip craftsman their snow blowers are cheap junk and fall apart unless you are lucky.

Ariens Deluxe 24-in 254-cu cm Two-stage for $1299 would be GREAT. electric start, "power steering", headlight, and good proven chute controls.
the 254 cu engine is a nice step up from the normal 208cc.

If you cant spring for the $1300
ariens has a classic model for 999$
Ariens compact 24" is 1199

Ariens Classic 24-in 208-cu cm Two-stage /W Electric Start​

Ariens Compact 24-in 223-cu cm Two-stage Self-propelled Gas Snow Blower with Push-button Electric Start;

IF you are more into TORO which is another great brand for snow blowers
This might be the best deal if you cant stretch for the 1300 ariens.

Power Max 824 OE 24 in. 252cc Two-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower -1149​

also available in 26" width for another 50$

Additional not relevant info 😀:
my current snowblower is a 1992? toro ccr 2450 and its on its last legs finally from rust 90% sure I'll be getting a new toro to replace it for my driveway and snow pattern the single stage is much better option for everything except the 200-250ft of sidewalk I typically clear.

There are plenty of good options but if you want proven durability and a trusted brand ariens and toro lead the pack.
I have a Toro single stage 721R. It's a beast compared to the old CCR I had, definitely check that out as a replacement for your CCR2450. It's basically a single stage on steroids. I haven't found anything that has been able to stop it yet, including one 12" storm.

NOT the Toro. A couple of years ago I had to retire my 27 y.o. Yardman/MTD with a Snowking engine.
Got a TORO HD 826OXE for twice the price of a MTD.
I really dislike this machine. The Joy stick control of the chute is OK bit not as special as I imagined.
The thing clogs very easily with the "anti clog" system as it will recirc slushy snow instead of pushing it with force out of the chute.
I also had to disassemble the thing last week as the drive selector was jammed. It appears the factory did not lube the machine at all. No evidence of any lube whatsoever on sprockets or shafts. and the selector hex drive shaft was very rusted - I polished it with red scotch brite,wiped it cleaned, and then lubed it with high moly motor oil.
Another factor is the drive and auger engagement lever are short and do not overcenter so they are pushing back on you hands with high force. I made adjustments to minimise this but its still not good. Another thing, the unit is very heavy and unwieldy to maneuver as it is very long in the nose. Just an unpleasant machine. The engine ( Mfg: China, Loncin )does start well with the recoil an has almost adequate power. I did have to adjust the valve lash after only two uses as it was popping and spitting fire out the exhaust (!) and t I found the EX valve to be very tight. To may dismay the rocker cover gasket was NOT reusable and glued on paper !

I wish I spent a but more, and got a HD Simplicity. They are awe inspiring!

simplicity snowblower.png

Reactions: JC1
how much did you spend on the toro that simplicity is around 2k. and is a great machine
but if I was going 2k there are alot of super nice units out there
2700$ honda trac unit with hydro drive.
ariens platinum with EFI. etc

I actually considered the simplicty single stage they have one starting at 379 locally but its a 127cc.. I'd prefer the 208CC but they are non existent here except special order full msrp or higher.

how much did you spend on the toro that simplicity is around 2k. and is a great machine
but if I was going 2k there are alot of super nice units out there
2700$ honda trac unit with hydro drive.
ariens platinum with EFI. etc

I actually considered the simplicty single stage they have one starting at 379 locally but its a 127cc.. I'd prefer the 208CC but they are non existent here except special order full msrp or higher.
I think the Toro was listed at $1400 U.S.D. and I paid $1300. Don't recall exactly. I like the taller wheels and heavier ga metal used and the larger diameter fan an larger diameter auger.
But I really don't like how it handles on the job. And I have a 130' foot steep hill for a driveway so it is a challenge now that I am getting older. I miss my mid 1990's vintage Yardman/ MTD walmart special. Never required any drivetrain maintenance - or let's say, it never broke in 27 years due to my LACK of maintaining the drivetrain :)

Me running snowblower on my driveway:

IMG_0563.JPG

I think the Toro was listed at $1400 U.S.D. and I paid $1300. Don't recall exactly. I like the taller wheels and heavier ga metal used and the larger diameter fan an larger diameter auger.
But I really don't like how it handles on the job. And I have a 130' foot steep hill for a driveway so it is a challenge now that I am getting older. I miss my mid 1990's vintage Yardman/ MTD walmart special. Never required any drivetrain maintenance - or let's say, it never broke in 27 years due to my LACK of maintaining the drivetrain :)

Me running snowblower on my driveway:

View attachment 73829

Life is too short for that, sell it on facebook market and write off the loss.. go buy what you want.

I am in WI. Around here it is well known that if you want to get the job done get an Ariens. I have two of them, one single stage (208cc) and one double (254cc).

For your uses based on your post, get a 24" or 28" Deluxe model two stage. They are $1200 or $1300 new I think now (I paid $1100 for my 2019 28" in Feb 2019 knowingthe price was going up $100 for 2020 MY), but you can find them nearly new for $1000 or less on Craigslist or marketplace. The Deluxe, as compared to the Compact, has a "zero turn" feature that makes handling easier.

Here is the 30" at HD.

Last edited:
Bought the 2 stage Toro 824 last year. Does not clean as well as my '90s 826 Craftsman. The fancy anti-clog system is not great. Had to take half passes in 8" snow.
Ariens will be my next blower.

I have only been into Ariens 24" Sno Thros for about 20yrs. Mostly freebies. Pieces parts mixed just like I've done with Bugs, Grand Wags, and BMWs. 24" because a 28" is too much for me to hoss around. The Ariens disc drive is a marvel of simplicity. I bought one to have a spare for the 50 yr old original that still works fine. YMMV on anything made in the last 30 yrs. Plastic??? :cool:

I have only been into Ariens 24" Sno Thros for about 20yrs. Mostly freebies. Pieces parts mixed just like I've done with Bugs, Grand Wags, and BMWs. 24" because a 28" is too much for me to hoss around. The Ariens disc drive is a marvel of simplicity. I bought one to have a spare for the 50 yr old original that still works fine. YMMV on anything made in the last 30 yrs. Plastic??? :cool:
Those old sno-thros are rock solid. I usually get them for free with a blown engine, and repower them for family/friends in need.

Back