Another "shop your auto insurance" thread/story

Cripes. For two 2017s, $500 deductible, full coverage, 250k/500k, 100k property damage, $85/mth. For both. That's like half what you're paying 😳
And where is this car insurance Shangri-La? In Lousy-ana, I pay $1800/year for one non-sports car, older driver w/ good record. That's with the Lizard People -- for now. Flo's Bros were cheaper initially but crept up on me, Amica doesn't operate in this state or doesn't want to (they quoted me $800 a month a year ago), Hartford won't give me a quote at all unless I join AARP first. And I don't qualify for USAA.

And where is this car insurance Shangri-La? In Lousy-ana, I pay $1800/year for one non-sports car, older driver w/ good record. That's with the Lizard People -- for now. Flo's Bros were cheaper initially but crept up on me, Amica doesn't operate in this state or doesn't want to (they quoted me $800 a month a year ago), Hartford won't give me a quote at all unless I join AARP first. And I don't qualify for USAA.
Portland, OR metro. I went online and got quotes with EVERY insurer I could think of. My rates doubled with the one I was trying to get rid of and this one was the same as I was paying before my doubled premium with my old insurer. 3 years with minimal rate increases. I probably checked 8-10 companies. Most were pretty comparable, 2 set themselves apart. Chose the one some co-workers said they had. I don't have any special status for some of the "have to be a_______ to get insurance from us", either. Just a normal guy, normal job, etc. Actually, there are a couple insurers that supposedly offer discounts for my profession, but they were higher quotes.

Strange enough, that's about what I pay for my two Mercedes E-350, one is about 1000 the other about 800 and I'm in the city too where rates tend to be higher. Maybe they're just cheaper to insure because the drivers get into less accidents? No accidents, no tickets in last 6 years.

Strange enough, that's about what I pay for my two Mercedes E-350, one is about 1000 the other about 800 and I'm in the city too where rates tend to be higher. Maybe they're just cheaper to insure because the drivers get into less accidents? No accidents, no tickets in last 6 years.
Maybe so. But my car is a Buick sedan. No way Buick LaCrosse owners generally are racing on the boulevard at 2 am or texting wantonly while driving.

Maybe so. But my car is a Buick sedan. No way Buick LaCrosse owners generally are racing on the boulevard at 2 am or texting wantonly while driving.
Maybe they're older and the older drivers get into more accidents.

Reminds me of the story when a co-worker of mine had a Grand Marquis, he was in his 30s/40s at the time and we all used to kid him about driving an old man's car. He pulled into a driveway once to turn around and someone came running out and she said oh, sorry I thought you were my grandparents.

Or maybe you're just in a crime infested state/city.

Maybe they're older and the older drivers get into more accidents.

Reminds me of the story when a co-worker of mine had a Grand Marquis, he was in his 30s/40s at the time and we all used to kid him about driving an old man's car. He pulled into a driveway once to turn around and someone came running out and she said oh, sorry I thought you were my grandparents.

Or maybe you're just in a crime infested state/city.
I do believe you've hit it on the head.

Whenever you combine your homeowners and your auto you get a big break, with State Farm, Progressive or most any company. But don't worry, they will creep the rates of both up on you over time.
Not always. I tried quoting AAA, NationWide, Progressive and I end up with 3 separate insurances on 2 homes and 1 auto, and that's the cheapest for me.

I've been with Progressive for the past 6-7 years, and other than a few niggles I've never really had an issue with (or a reason to rely on) them. My policy renewal just came and went on October 29th, my rate dropped by a few cents, landing at $118.13 a month for full coverage on my Volt. Keep in mind, that's for state minimum 30/60k, $2k deductible, no GAP, no glass, no roadside. Just insurance, and crappy insurance at that. Yes, I know it was stupid to drive around like that, however this policy was issued back when I was still paying my debts for DUI's, along with multiple other driving infractions rating anywhere from "eh" to "bro...". But I digress..

I've had my homeowners through State Farm basically since I bought the place, they've always treate

Progressives model is overcharge people like yourself with bad driving records and also poor credit(monthly payers).

I’d you have a clear record and great credit(you may) they want to offswt their risky pool and entice.

I have 18 year old triplets. 2019 Titan, 2018 Jeep Wrangler, 2005 Jeep Liberty, 2008 VW Jetta and a 1988 F150, 2 Full Coverage, 3 Liability only. 465 a month through Iowa Mutual. Nobody else can come close. 5 clean driving records.

Back