ANOTHER PureOne Filter Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I wonder if motorcrafts are suffering from the same problems now?

Me too. I'll be cutting one open in a few thousand miles.

This is SAD.

I also meant to add that at least the PureOne air filters are awesome, so you can't write off the whole brand.

I am sure they will fix it or already have, but lots of old stock to go through in the mean time so it's a good thing i have 3 years worth of oil filters on hand.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
.... Every photo posted of a Purolator with a tear, it's always on one of the pleats next to the seam. That's where the pleat spacing is always wide on a Purolator. We never see media tears anyplace else.....

That is an accurate statement. Clearly the wider spacing at that area is some kind of contributing factor. That said, I've dissected many a P1 mostly the PL14610, and though the spacing is wider in that area I've never personally had a tear in the adjoining pleat in a P1. Based on the spat of recent postings though, it seems that Mann/Hummel-Purolator has a QC issue to address. That said, I'm currently running another PL14610 now on 10-15%MM oci an a Honda and fully expect to see similar results as I've always had.

As for the one poster on this thread with the constant comparison to another brand, I'll note that based on previous posts on any Purolator filter thread, even before the recent spate of tear pics he has been critical of of Purolator filters. Even my last PL14610 run 6500 miles with pics showing no issues, the extraneous mention of another brand can be noted. I suspect that is because that brand happens to make his oem of choice, one now to confirmed to be a relatively very inefficient filter. So while I appreciate the honest concern posts here including the OP, I pretty much attribute the multiple critical posts by one as agenda driven.

As for the dissection, first time I've seen one where the two sections of the base plate have been separated. It would no effect on the dissection, but interesting because first time cut seen exactly at can seam.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Another reason I prefere a cartridge filter.
They seem to use much more robust media on cartridges. Every one, including Purolater and Pure One, I've pulled out of the Camry with 9K+ on them looks like a brand new one just dipped in oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sir1900
...I cut a L14610 and a QS4386 open last weekend and found no tears. The tearing we are seeing is likely after usage for x miles.

Not that they shouldn't, but negative anecdotes are going to garner more attention than positive. I agree with your conclusion though that the tearing would in all probability not be seen in an unused dissection. Most likely seen with some pressure differential over x miles/period of time, in susceptible pleats.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
another example of why I use stainless steel filters!!!

Ha.
Even with the rip that pure one is filtering more particulate than those mesh gravel traps.
25 micron absolute is equal to 300 grit wetsand paper.
A paper or synthetic media traps more of the stuff that does the most harm. You know,those 10-30 micron sized chunks are what does the most damage and your screen filter is catching almost none of them.
Lucky you use good oil......

I would be interested to see if a "batch" can be tracked down.

I bought my PL14610 filters 2+ yrs ago. One of them is going to be removed this weekend. I dont put many miles on my car at all, but so as to at least look like Im trying to fulfill Nissans 3 mo/3750 mile requirement, I change my oil after 5 or so months.

Once I pull the filter Ill try to open it without destroying it (I dont have a filter cutter) and take a look at the media.

Regardless, I stocked up on Fram Ultra with the 50 off 100 at Advance, so Im pretty sure that will be my new filter of choice.

clevy,with all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about!!! linking all brands into making up something that you obviously don't understand...let me see..where did that paper go and bits of pieces...lol

Last edited:
I have a stash of them, along with Mobil 1 and Distance Plus filters. I will be watching this thread closely to see if this is a fluke. Returning the Pure One filters might be an option I consider.

What upsets me is Pure 1 is supposed to be a premium filter. That's why I bought it. Some people run these for extended drain with synthetics. The micron rating or how efficient it is means little if there are holes or tears the media.
Anyone cutting these look close. My tear was small and at first look I could not see it. I thought everything was fine until I got a closer look.

FRAM also makes a filter for that car with a 22psi relief valve. I have posted extensive info about this in the subaru forum NIOSC. We also make the Subaru OE filter as well.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Motorking
We also make the Subaru OE filter as well.

You work for FRAM?

Yes, Motorking works for FRAM.

Got a quick and decent email back (I sent pictures and reciepts images along) and they were sending it along to quality control so we will see if there is any more communication.

Have we determined if this is restricted to just the Classic and PureOne lines, or are the Synthetics affected as well? I will be opening my PSL14459 when it comes off in another 1200 miles, but that's still a couple weeks away.

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
Have we determined if this is restricted to just the Classic and PureOne lines, or are the Synthetics affected as well? I will be opening my PSL14459 when it comes off in another 1200 miles, but that's still a couple weeks away.

I doubt the full synthetic filters are affected. Different media, and it's wire backed which helps the pleats keep their shape.

Dang you Purolator!!

They went all e-core-pleat-spacing on us. Terrible.

I'll say it again, if they can make perfectly pleated cartridge filters there is NO EXCUSE! This is either a cost saving measure or a quality control issue. Both are unacceptable in my opinion.

I'm returning all my canned puro classics as a result of this (x6). Unless someone knows how to see through a metal can?

So, it has been about a month and no response.

Oh well. Will not be looking to get another Purolator for quite a while. It is on my "do not buy list".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back