ANOTHER PureOne Filter Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just came off my Subaru after running almost 5K (2K from holiday highway mileage) on Havoline HM. I was not planning to change it but the weather was good 65 and sunny ... and most importantly the wife was away so I could cut open the oil filter without too much fuss.

Thank Goodness I changed the oil... "Classic" Purolator PureOne tear/fail.

I liked (yes, notice is past-tense) Purolator because it had the bypass spec for the Subaru and was made in my current state (NC).

Take a look for yourselves. Unfortunately the "new" PureOne filer already went on the Subbie so it looks like I will put a few mile on it until I can get to the Subaru dealer and get some of the Subaru/Honeywell filters.

aIMG_20140219_173931_319_zps24d55853.jpg

aIMG_20140219_173902_801_zpscf05fa9c.jpg

Shesh, I got to get the other P1 filters off the car... Son of a ... Purolator.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
What is going on with these tears lately?

Have they always been there? It's just that we have more people opening up filters now?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: sir1900
What is going on with these tears lately?

Have they always been there? It's just that we have more people opening up filters now?

There have been numerous threads here and elsewhere with cut opened Puros and none with tears that I can recall until recently. Not suggesting it is a widespread problem, but somewhat concerning to say the least.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Just out of curiosity what was the part #? Also what is the bypass spec for your Subie, it's something high isn't it?

It is the 14460, Subaru is spec-ed have the bypass relief at 23spi and the PureOne is 20-25 so it is the only aftermarket filter that is close to Subaru specs (Wix and Fram is somewhere around 8-12ish).

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
What did you use to cut the can off? Look like you used a can opener.You might have ripped the pleats taking the can off.,,

Hacksaw to get it open and "cut" in and then used a pry-bar to pop it open... gives uneven edges but works to keep the filter media from being banged up. The cut was above the pleats and above the inter cap.

This tear thing is news to me. The filter looks pretty beat for only 5k. Almost caramelized and crunchy.

Wow, I was excited when I got my PureOne on sale to use for next OCI but as I see more and more pics of torn Purolators (always in that same spot) I think I bought my last one. Gonna run it because I already have it but I'm officially trying Tough Guards from that point forward.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Looks like the ocod is a better made filter in comparison......

No kidding. Tables are definitely turning all the sudden.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Looks like the ocod is a better made filter in comparison......

No kidding. Tables are definitely turning all the sudden.

Yep.

I've never understood the widespread fram hate. All manufacturers produce defective units from time to time. People are imperfect and any time a human being has a hand in anything there is potential for error.

Still. I'm waiting to the first vid of someone urinating on a puro now.

Mine and all the others I have seen have been in the same area on the same pleats near the crimp.

IMG_2068_zpsfdfe7a7f.jpg

This is my pure 1. Not a big tear, but it could have gotten worse.

Very glad that I have gone to a NAPA , Thank you guys for this important information.

Yeah, I still have one PureOne Filter in the cabinet to go on the Fit... it will not be used. I will probably use a Wix or a TG/Ultra on the Fit the next time around. Does not help me with the Subaru... uggg.

Just ticks me off when trying to use a semi-local company and they let you down.

Last edited:
you know fram owns purolator now right?

I am still stocked up on toyo roki filters for my subie
smile.gif
about 1more year worth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back