Another potential Subaru filter with the higher bypass pressure?

I noticed recently on RockAuto they have a new Hengst H345W for Subarus. I cannot find the bypass pressure spec anywhere but when you check other applications that use the same filter of another brand (like a PH7317) Hengst shows a different number for those applications. Additionally the only filter cross reference they show for the H345W are the OE Subaru numbers and the Toyota numbers for the 86.

Looks like a good filter too:

Good to know. I'll add it to the list of oil filters I might use on the FRS. On a related note, I do the same cross-reference technique to see if filters without a listed bypass spec are specifically made for Subaru applications. Recently I found that the Mahle OC 1177 may also have a higher bypass pressure, because it only lists Subarus and the 86/FRS/BRZ as applications.

Attachments

• mahle filter application.jpg
    mahle filter application.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 65
NO China junk.

Go to the Mazda dealer and get a Japanese Toyo Roki **

The somewhat lower Bypass setting doesn't matter unless it is an old turbo with screens in the oil feed banjo fittings and even then ...
BlueSubie what you say?

See now they use tokyo roki not toyo roki. NO experience with tokyo roki.

(Toyo) Roki : https://www.roki-jp.com/english/products/index.html

Last edited:
I'd prefer it were made in Germany. The question is, would you pay double for it?
Been several posts recently about US based OF manufacturers having some applications off shored. I was pointing out that even the German manufacturers have some production in China. In this case, it does 'look' to be a well made filter.

As for topic speculating on higher bypass, I wouldn't assume because of a listing reference or cross reference that to be the case. I think the only way to confirm would be direct information, preferably published from Hengst. Wix does it that way.

I see the Mazda O.E. is a Tokyo Roki not Toyo Roki. Unaware of the quality. Pricey I bet.

I would be shy of the China manufactured filter if they source the all important filter paper from mainland China not knowing if the factory has ISO certs like Roki. You would think Hengst would be on top of that but still a big question mark.

This is from personal experience with the apparently well made - but proved inadequate flowing - Thailand Denso filters that originally brought me to the BITOG forum with problematic genuine Toyota service part filters. Suzuki also.

pics anyway - since we all like photos :)

Will the hood close and clear on a FB engine?

m3r1.jpg

Interesting tidbit, it was me who requested Whip cut open this filter, I use it on my 2.4 Legacy, seems to be working well thus far no issues I know of. Talking to the dealer and their "master techs" I was told the 15208aa15a was not absolutely required and that a quality aftermarket filter was good to use.

Yeah, that kind of made me do the Spock eyebrow raise. 🖖
I don't imagine the profit margin on OFs is that great. Here, even Hengst a German company must see some labor cost advantage moving production of at least some applications to China. Clearly the US manufacturers aren't the only ones taking that into consideration. As noted though, the quality of topic Hengst doesn't appear to have suffered.

Like to see what the Wix 57356 that was recently posted about with no pics, looks like inside. Still prefer it be made in Gastonia, but at least if the quality was still there, that would be something. The 51334 was made in S Korea, like the Hyun/Kia, but a more recent pic showed it back to made in US. Time will tell, what M&H does with Wix production.

That filter looks really good as far as assembly quality. "China junk" looks a lot better than much of what we're seeing made in NC for years now. I'll bet my Japanese engine will never know?? 🤔 The "FVP" brand on RA for $2.33 is a Subaru specific filter and list 27psi as bypass. They are offered in an XL 10k variation too for around $4.55. I think a lot (maybe most or all?) of FVP is private label Champ labs made.

That filter looks really good as far as assembly quality. "China junk" looks a lot better than much of what we're seeing made in NC for years now. I'll bet my Japanese engine will never know?? 🤔 The "FVP" brand on RA for $2.33 is a Subaru specific filter and list 27psi as bypass. They are offered in an XL 10k variation too for around $4.55. I think a lot (maybe most or all?) of FVP is private label Champ labs made.
The $2 FVP filter is a Wix-variant. Not sure about the $4.xx one.

NO China junk.

Go to the Mazda dealer and get a Japanese Toyo Roki **

The somewhat lower Bypass setting doesn't matter unless it is an old turbo with screens in the oil feed banjo fittings and even then ...
BlueSubie what you say?

See now they use tokyo roki not toyo roki. NO experience with tokyo roki.

(Toyo) Roki : https://www.roki-jp.com/english/products/index.html
It may be made in China, but as you can see in the video it clearly isn't junk.

Back