Another Poll, Engine shot at less than 50,000 miles attributable to oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help myself but laugh when reading about all those unfortunate Durango owners. Typical SUV buyers, all complain about how they can't pay for repairs..blah, blah...i have no sympathy for those people although it's not their fault, it's bad judgment that cost them money. A female teacher making peanuts complains how her $30k Durango is POS, couldn't you drive a Honda for Gods sake? I don't think she goes offroading anyway. There is something about sitting higher while driving that makes people especially women buy SUVs .don't people realize that SUV being the hot trend in the last 10 yrs, the manufacturers will be making them crappy and sell them for top dollar...i am not surprised at the Durangos crappy quality, it's maybe the only vehicle manufactured with leaf rear suspension, God knows what other problems lurk inside that "ragged" SUV.
BTW, i am not very familiar with American engines, is the Durango engine the "hemi" that gets so promoted in Dodge commercials ?

A co-worker of mine bought a Dodge Durango R/T 5.9 liter (I think? ) a year ago, ignoring everyones advice. Now, he complains that for such an expensive truck, the quality doesn't seem that great and the dealership treats him like a moron. And get this...he complains about the "brutal" gas mileage...ha ha ha!

Live and learn... (I hope...)
rolleyes.gif

quote:

1982 Olds Omega, V6, 2.8L? -- camshaft wore out
2500 miles past warranty.

LOL.....so someone else owned the Omega (Phoenix, Citiation ,etc...)?? I had the L4 engine.....quite a trooper....went 100,000+ miles before the timing gear decided to give up the ghost 3 years ago....

Then again, it might have been 200,000+.........the odometer did not have a place for the hundred-thousands digit....what does that tell you???
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Not 50,000 or less but I had a 1985 Volve 240

1984 Volvo 240 Turbo.....260,000+ miles....

Still going.......one of those cars where you always have to keep an eye on it........

Maybe you got one of those "Friday cars".......

The 4.7 is not sludge prone. The problems with the Durango were in years that only had the 5.9V8 I belive. THe 5.9 in my opion is a POS. DC has had since the 1970's to fix all the problems with this engine and never did. They are Known to have all kinds of cooling and gasket issues. THey also have had problems with their oiling system off and on for a long time. If not for the gasket leaks, oil pump failures and intermitent cooling system failures the engine was a durable design. THey needed to replace this engine in 1980's. THe new Hemi's main functions was to fix all of the gasket sealing issues of the 5.9 and produce cheap power that was emmision friendly.

THe 4.7 is an expensive engine for them to produce. THe new hemi is actualy cheaper then the 5.9 for them to produce. When DC reliased that GM was not haveing any problem selling vechiles with an old push rod design GEN III they followed suite. It is silly to develop a high tech expensive DOHC Variable valve timeing V8 if the customer will buy a cheap low tech OHV engine.

THe Hemi to date has not had any cooling problems of gasket leaking issues but it is still a really new design. DC should have been building this engine in the late 80's or early 90's.

I was always hopeing that DC would add two cylinders to the 4.7 and install a more radical cam!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
It is silly to develop a high tech expensive DOHC Variable valve timeing V8 if the customer will buy a cheap low tech OHV engine.

There is nothing wrong with push rod engines. They are very compact, weigh less (theoretically), have fewer moving parts, and cost less to build. I think the 1950's designed iron blocks have given push rod motors a bad repuation as they are being compared to more recent DOCH designs. I applaud GM for advancing push rod engines.

Maybe the Omega didn't fail due to oil after all,
but to having too much lemon juice inside. One
of the door hinges came unwelded at one point,
but it was still under warranty.

5 digit odometers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back