Another Panther Dinosaur-Great for BITOG

Did drive one of these up and back to ME one time; nice ride; it is what you would expect.

For that era, I was more of a fan of the Mark VII; i believe it was available with "the 5.0L" or a BMW diesel.

One of my neighbours had one of these, inherited from her father. She was wealthy but really cheap and refused to do any maintenance on it. The fan belt squealed, the plastic covers on the headlights turned dark brown, it began to stall.

I broke the plastic covers off her headlights one day (look ma, no tools) and she admitted her lights suddenly got brighter. One Saturday morning she backed the car out into the street and the car stalled. Before she could get it started again a neighbour from across the street backed out into the street and t-boned her at low speed. Wrote off the car.

Being cheap doesn't pay.

I sold my 1991 seven years ago for $1100. It pained me to do it, but I didn't want a fourth car in my personal stable. It was on the cusp of collectability back then.

I never had a better car on cross country trips.

Was she hit by a properly maintained car? That is important.
There was some question about how "well maintained" the driver (who ran into her) was at the time. His car was fairly new but hadn't been treated very well - for example one day his wife drove up at some speed and dropped the front wheel off the driveway (about 8").

After the crash, the neighbour who ran into her never got out of the car, said nothing, drove back into his garage and closed the door as though nothing had happened. He later claimed she had run into him, though the dent on her car was between the doors, and of course she had been immobile in the street during the event.

Investigators later come to our door to find out what happened. All we could say was that her dented car was still stalled in the middle of the street and the neighbour had disappeared.

Had an '83, from late 90's to mid 2000's (7 years). Dark blue with a light blue interior. Bought it with 70k miles, sold with 150k miles. Used it as a family car, kids to soccer and music lessons, road trips, wife's car to get to work, the whole family car bit. It served us well, with minor repair costs along the way. We were sad to let it go, but it was getting tired.

One of my neighbours had one of these, inherited from her father. She was wealthy but really cheap and refused to do any maintenance on it. The fan belt squealed, the plastic covers on the headlights turned dark brown, it began to stall.

I broke the plastic covers off her headlights one day (look ma, no tools) and she admitted her lights suddenly got brighter. One Saturday morning she backed the car out into the street and the car stalled. Before she could get it started again a neighbour from across the street backed out into the street and t-boned her at low speed. Wrote off the car.

Being cheap doesn't pay.

I guess the horn didn't work either, and the neighbour didn't have mirrors anymore

I always liked that bodystyle, I think it still looks classy and timeless. I'd cruise around in it!

Reactions: CKN
Way back in 89, my car was in the shop once again. I was not adept at repair in those days, so I was at the financial mercy of the shop to keep my 1981 Ford Mustang on the road (what a money pit!)

The car rental place didn’t have an ordinary car left, so they rented me a new 1989 Lincoln Town Car, jet black. Cruising in that car for those few days was quite the experience and turned heads for sure. Made going back to my old Mustang a letdown 😎

Oddly, while I had a few luxury cars later on (used purchases), I never had a Lincoln.

Had a 88 Town Car...No issues for over 250K miles. To my surprise most owners did not know the vehicle had 2 oil drains. Mine was dealer serviced every 5K miles cause the dealer at that time was honest and no up selling plus they always had good food and coffee. Could have used a more powerful engine but the 302 was okay. Climate control worked perfectly for my long commute everyday. Still miss that car!.

Back