Another Osprey crash, 5 Marines dead

Decades ago I took a class and there was a Coastie Helo pilot in the class . I asked why the Army/ marine Helos crashed more than the Coastie Helos did. He said they do riskier operations than we do. Military pilots operate is all weather and conditions. That is why military pilots are the best of the best.

A number of years ago all the Ospreys were grounded. History of mechanical failures. I don't know specifics, just from memory. They fly around Kirtland AFB...

Decades ago I took a class and there was a Coastie Helo pilot in the class . I asked why the Army/ marine Helos crashed more than the Coastie Helos did. He said they do riskier operations than we do. Military pilots operate is all weather and conditions. That is why military pilots are the best of the best.
I would think that applies more to the Coast Guard. Remember the famous line in, "The Guardian". "When everyone else is grounded, we go out!".... "When God rips houses off their foundations, we go out!"...... Or some such. There was more to it.

I would think that applies more to the Coast Guard. Remember the famous line in, "The Guardian". "When everyone else is grounded, we go outGod rips houses off their foundations, we go out!"...... Or some such. There was more to it.
Movie vs a real Coastie pilot? I watched the guy get out of the front on a Helo.

An Osprey transitioned from plane mode to helicopter mode on my way home from work today right in front of me while I waited at a light. Pretty neat. They are here for the air show this weekend with the Blue Angels among others. RIP.

Quote Wiki:

V22 Osprey tilt rotor accident rate during 31 years of operations...

1 Crashes and hull–loss accidents

1.1 June 1991
1.2 July 1992
1.3 April 2000
1.4 December 2000
1.5 March 2006
1.6 April 2010
1.7 April 2012
1.8 June 2012
1.9 May 2015
1.10 December 2016
1.11 August 2017
1.12 September 2017
1.13 March 2022
1.14 June 2022

2 Other accidents and notable incidents

2.1 July 2006
2.2 December 2006
2.3 March 2007
2.4 November 2007
2.5 2009
2.6 July 2011
2.7 October 2014
2.8 January 2017

The link for a closer look at the causes...

Last edited:
There is a hell of a lot going on when you combine the flight characteristics of a helicopter, with that of an airplane. Especially when you have to transition from one to another every time you takeoff and land.

If something goes wrong, the aircraft for the most part is low and slow. These incidents don't always end well. Not to mention it is a difficult and tricky aircraft to fly.

With it's questionable safety record, it's hard to believe they're actually modifying one for Presidential use.

Our brave soldiers deserve the best! I pray our tech continues to evolve and we learn from our mistakes.

Last edited:
My son in law is in the Air Force and works on the CV22.... To put it nicely and simply...He says it is not a fun aircraft to work on and keep flying...
Yep.

Has a shaft system to transfer power from one side to the other in the event of an engine failure.

I’ve been told by guys who maintained them that it’s a maintenance nightmare.

Yep.

Has a shaft system to transfer power from one side to the other in the event of an engine failure.

I’ve been told by guys who maintained them that it’s a maintenance nightmare.
YUP............

Back