Another Osprey crash, 5 Marines dead

I would think that applies more to the Coast Guard. Remember the famous line in, "The Guardian". "When everyone else is grounded, we go out!".... "When God rips houses off their foundations, we go out!"...... Or some such. There was more to it.
We have to go out, but we do not have to come back.

Perhaps the several aviators on this forum can explain why this happens so often. 🤔
Too early to speculate on this incident.

Nothing is yet known.

The V-22 is a complex, high performance machine.

But like most airplanes, crashes happen because of pilot error.

Vortex ring state is well understood by know, and trained, but it’s still a big risk when coming in for a tactical landing.

Flying isn’t simple or easy. This airplane flies as both helicopter and airplane making it even more demanding than either.

I heard on the news this morning that ALL CV22 have been grounded in ALL branches of the service....

This guy seems to really know what he is talking about regarding the V-22.

That's Mooch. Good guy - we've flown together - but his job is to promote his channel.
Yes very well done. Hopefully our pilot members well share their thoughts on this video without the arrogance of some.
Welp - on that note, I will stop talking.

Yes very well done. Hopefully our pilot members well share their thoughts on this video without the arrogance of some.
I am confused by your statement about arrogance.

Care to elaborate?

We have some extremely experienced, extremely smart pilots and naval aviators on this forum, many of whom have put in a lot of time and effort, and explained a lot of complex, aviation related topics here. And I really appreciate reading their posts.

Their expertise is really appreciated, and I would hope that they would continue!

The section of the forum, in particular, I really look forward to reading.

Very unfortunate there been so many Osprey crashes and deaths.

What benefits does the Osprey have over a very big and powerful helicopter like the H-53 that’s been in service since the late 1960’s ?

Sad that such a complex aircraft (with known problems) wasn’t killed off in it’s early stages of development.

*** Off Topic ***
I‘ve read about 10 books written by combat helicopter pilots who served in Vietnam War. They were cheating death every day going on various missions that were sometimes a suicide mission. I’ve always wondered how an Osprey could perform in such an environment if you could go back in time and have Ospreys in service flying daily in Vietnam.

Last edited:
.... What benefits does that Osprey have over a very big and powerful helicopter like the H-53 that’s been in service since the 1970’s ?

It can fly like an airplane, at a maximum speed of nearly 400 MPH. It can fly as high as 24,000 ft. And it can transition from helicopter mode to airplane mode in as little as 12 seconds. And it has a range of over 1,000 miles.

Very unfortunate there been so many Osprey crashes and deaths.

What benefits does that Osprey have over a very big and powerful helicopter like the H-53 that’s been in service since the 1970’s ?

Sad that such a complex aircraft wasn’t killed off in it’s early stages of development.

Osprey has many times the range at ~1.5 times the speed of that helicopter, so it does have its tactical advantages. Getting a Navy ship group close enough to land to use a helicopter probably isn't always possible, or desirable? And I imagine the injury and death rate of an Osprey to deliver Marines is still much much better than doing parachute drops from a plane?

The speed of an airplane doesn’t matter where it counts. Getting troops onboard or off loaded in hot LZ would be a tactical disaster. It’s transition speed might be fast however it can’t transition right at LZ, it has to slow down way before insertion or extraction point, making it a huge target.

The speed of an airplane doesn’t matter where it counts. Getting troops onboard or off loaded in hot LZ would be a tactical disaster. It’s transition speed might be fast however it can’t transition right at LZ, it has to slow down way before insertion or extraction point, making it a huge target.

Exactly how I feel.

You mean like a helicopter is all the time it's in the air?

Back