Another M1 noise story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I'm a dedicated Mobil 1 user but it did help keep my old Mazda clean. I'm interested in PU now that my local Walmart is stocking it for 21$ a jug

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A fresh fill of M1 in my 08 Liberty for about a week, silent.

35 years of M1 use. Alls quite.

Since you haven't used anything else in your cars how exactly would you know, comparatively speaking?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Since you haven't used anything else in your cars how exactly would you know, comparatively speaking?

That's been ask many times. Because I know an engine that makes abnormal noise when I hear it. Quite is quite. Smooth is smooth. Clean is clean. Long lasting is long lasting.

Tig,
I agree with you Quite is Quite, but quiet is silence.
By the way I have been using Mobil 1 (some Amsoil) since 1989, when I started looking into synthetics.

Good Day,
Steven

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Anyway, the motor has become somewhat "chatty" on cold starts. Not the "faulty-ADBV-delayed-oil-pressure" kind of noise, but more of a "sewing-machine" kind of noise which goes away after a couple of minutes.
In general, I find folks' apparent concern with noise relative to engine oil brand and type quite perplexing. Of what relevance is it? What does it really mean?
confused2.gif
Insofar as I know, it's not indicative of anything substantial.

I think someone needs to invest in some basic test and measurement equipment. Noise and vibration isn't hard to measure.

robert

I'm on the fence about M1 and how it runs.

I used the 0W-20 for the winter, and I will say that cranking speed was much faster in cold weather, which is what I was after.

However, for the first time ever, I got a small amount of start-up chatter in the valvetrain for the first 15-20 seconds of running in cold weather with this oil. Never had that with any other oil I've used in this engine.

I'm sure it is a great oil, but I do now understand what people are talking about.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm on the fence about M1 and how it runs.

I used the 0W-20 for the winter, and I will say that cranking speed was much faster in cold weather, which is what I was after.

However, for the first time ever, I got a small amount of start-up chatter in the valvetrain for the first 15-20 seconds of running in cold weather with this oil. Never had that with any other oil I've used in this engine.

I'm sure it is a great oil, but I do now understand what people are talking about.

I have heard lifter clatter in many types of engines for one reason or another. One thing to consider is, if this is the only time you have used M1 0-20 in this engine, you may have loosened a piece of carbon in the engine and it may have lodged in a lifter which can cause a pressure drop in the lifter for the next start. Also oil filters can start to bleed off even thousands of miles into an oil run. I have had this happen to me once when I used a ST filter. 6K into a OCI my Ford engine started to have an engine knock at cold start I changed the filter to a MC and problem solved.

Do oils with high moly tend to run quiet? M1 15W50 and 10W40HM both run smooth and silent in my car. I searched through the VOA's and it looks like they both have a good add of moly. Do all M1 oils have moly?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Do oils with high moly tend to run quiet? M1 15W50 and 10W40HM both run smooth and silent in my car. I searched through the VOA's and it looks like they both have a good add of moly. Do all M1 oils have moly?

Yes, and the moly they use is some sort of advanced moly(differant than the moly used in other oils is my understanding) they created. Others here may know more about that.

The loudest oil (by a long shot) I've ever used was TGMO. I drained it early because the engine sounded like a diesel. It was that bad.

On the other hand, the Mobil 1 SN oils have been among the quietest in terms of engine noise on start up.

I think the SN M1 has better wear control than the GF-4. The GF-4 Mobil 1 wasn't all that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back