Another M1 noise story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
This is early every month someone usually complains about Mobil 1 I mean every month. Yes other brands do get spoken for but not every month. Why is that???

Probably because Mobil 1 outsells the others 5-1. To be fair, the complaints are usually about synthetics. Everyone is different and every vehicle is different which might explain why my brother prefers Mobil's acoustics to his recent fill---Pennzoil Ultra.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

Anyway, the motor has become somewhat "chatty" on cold starts. Not the "faulty-ADBV-delayed-oil-pressure" kind of noise, but more of a "sewing-machine" kind of noise which goes away after a couple of minutes.

Could also accurately be described as the "typewriter noise?"

Interesting thread. I've seen other accounts of noisy engines on M1, but they're spread out and often times a standalone post so I never reply to them.

I had a cold morning tick on the BMW M54B25 (hydraulic lifters) that lasted about a minute on 0w-40. I read about M1 TDT and tried it for kicks as I had read a lot of good things about it but not to remove the ticking as it didn't really bother me. But to my surprise the ticking went away as a side benefit to my "experiment".

Needless to say I've stuck with the TDT on the M54 and started putting it in the MB's M272 as well. I have no doubt the M1 0w-40 is a superior oil, but I'm inclined to stick with the TDT. It's been about 50k miles and I haven't heard it since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Could also accurately be described as the "typewriter noise?"
I wouldn't say that, no. You can't heard any individual tick-tick-tick, it's more like a generic blended "machinery" sound. Like a sewing machine at high speed. Not something that calls attention to itself, but something you notice when you're familiar with the normal sounds.

It doesn't bother me at all, but I only used the M1 because it was sitting in my garage already paid for years ago, and I won't be using it again. I'm thinking of trying NextGen next as I like the idea of helping conserve oil resources.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that, no. You can't heard any individual tick-tick-tick, it's more like a generic blended "machinery" sound. Like a sewing machine at high speed. Not something that calls attention to itself, but something you notice when you're familiar with the normal sounds.

This is a good description of the sound I was hearing. A subtle, but noticeable, sewing machine or machinery-type sound.

Recently changed the oil in my 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. Previous oil was MC 5W-20 and the new is M1 5W-30. The reason for the switch in brands is that I'd had the M1 in my garage since 2005 as I no longer use ExMo products.

I just find it interesting as I would have expected 5W-30 to be quieter, if anything. Note to the M1 Brigade: I'm not knocking M1 and, unless something more develops, I intend to leave it for the full OCI (6,000 miles); this is just my first experience with the "M1 is a noisy oil" phenomenon.

Is it possible this 8 YEAR OLD oil laying around your garage was past it's due date? Did you at least shake it up well before you poured it in? Just sayin...

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Recently changed the oil in my 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. Previous oil was MC 5W-20 and the new is M1 5W-30. The reason for the switch in brands is that I'd had the M1 in my garage since 2005 as I no longer use ExMo products.

I just find it interesting as I would have expected 5W-30 to be quieter, if anything. Note to the M1 Brigade: I'm not knocking M1 and, unless something more develops, I intend to leave it for the full OCI (6,000 miles); this is just my first experience with the "M1 is a noisy oil" phenomenon.

Is it possible this 8 YEAR OLD oil laying around your garage was past it's due date? Did you at least shake it up well before you poured it in? Just sayin...

Shaking it up. Does it make any difference? Pouring oil, in a engine is going to get a whipp'n at various rpm's. I could see maybe a old old bottle used for top-up if the whole bottle isn't emptied into the blender.

Originally Posted By: Errtt

Shaking it up. Does it make any difference? Pouring oil, in a engine is going to get a whipp'n at various rpm's. I could see maybe a old old bottle used for top-up if the whole bottle isn't emptied into the blender.

The additives come out of suspension and drop to the bottom of the container. Yeah, shaking it up helps, but likely 8 yr old oil is done for the most part and should just be used for top off - not used as a reference material for a highly subjective noise example.

I agree it has to be "shaken" if it's been sitting for a while. I had quart of M1 5w-30 (with cap) in the garage that I used for oil around the house and by the time it got low enough to see the bottom of the quart (about 5 years) I could see that a good deal of something had come out of suspension. One good shake and it was back in the oil.

I think, like others finally posted also, that the oil was OLD.

I don't buy into the MOBIL 1 noise claims. It's like the butt dyno where people claim instant power from a tankful of "name any brand" fuel cleaner.

I've had the sewing machine noise with M1 0w40 SN after it was filled. It went away after a while.

PU 5w40 SM has not created the same noise.

Originally Posted By: EType

PU 5w40 SM has not created the same noise.

That version of PU likely had above-average levels of boron and moly in it, two additives that enhance the smooth operation and quietness of engines.

Good point but I was thinking PYB is by far the best selling oil of either classification and I realize this is a 90% synthetic forum but in the last 4 years I cannot think of any issue of PYB
smile.gif
listed here. I know there has to be some but I really cannot think of any maybe google will provide me of any.
Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
This is early every month someone usually complains about Mobil 1 I mean every month. Yes other brands do get spoken for but not every month. Why is that???

Probably because Mobil 1 outsells the others 5-1. To be fair, the complaints are usually about synthetics. Everyone is different and every vehicle is different which might explain why my brother prefers Mobil's acoustics to his recent fill---Pennzoil Ultra.

Right, Pennzoil is the number one selling conventional oil brand and Mobil by far the number one selling synthetic brand. Most of the acoustic complaints are in regards to synthetics, and usually Mobil.

I thought that immediately.

Most of this discussion is absurd since the Mobil website states that 5 years is the shelf life of oil. Moreover, anyone that buys oil today is going to get the new SN rated version.

Mobil 1 works perfect in my V6 3.5L Camry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I think, like others finally posted also, that the oil was OLD.

I don't buy into the MOBIL 1 noise claims. It's like the butt dyno where people claim instant power from a tankful of "name any brand" fuel cleaner.

Part of Seafoam (30% of it, I think?) is some kind of ingredient that does boost octane somehow, and that appears to give power. (It also is a mildly-strong cleaner, stronger than MMO by a lot but weaker than Kreen by a lot.)

This is why people put 93 octane in their cars that say to put in 87: It "feels" better. It does!

I'm pretty sure this applies here as well, and for me. I had noise complaints with Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
rfeir - I am a long time user of M1 0W-40 over a very wide range of engine types and families. Yes, it can sound noisy in some instances and this worries some people. There is no evidence whatsoever that the noise relates to any lack of protection or increased wear rates of any components

I've used it in a number of Benz engine families I've owned and in the Porsche cars I've owned too - all with excellent results. Currently it is in a number of engines I have or look after including a Mitsubishi 4G69H - it has been perfect in that application but it did prolong the break-in process a little. To me that's a great outcome!!

Its characteristics have shown that it has excellent durability and wear protection when used as directed. Any noise is inconsequential!

As for the oil being "old", I even asked here before using it and everyone said "go ahead". When I finished pouring it into the motor, I looked in the jug and saw nothing at all...no sediment, no left-over glop...nothing.

I fail to see how oil can deteriorate sitting in a sealed container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back