Another Good Dealer Discussion

Several days ago while driving to the supermarket I started to hear a rhythmic sound coming from the front of the CX5. I sensed it was a tire sound. No TPMS alerts, so we arrived at the store and found no problems with the tires. Headed back home I heard it again so on the way back I stopped off at the local Mazda dealer and talked to the person at the desk. The appointment was made and we went home.

At the appointment the tech drove the car and could not hear the sound. They put the car up on the lift and did a inspection which was videoed and live streamed to me in the waiting room. No problems discovered except for a squirrel carcass. They also did a quick engine bay inspection. All was good.

The verdict was that my tires had flat spotted. I didn’t think tires would do that in one week of sitting but maybe tires have changed. The noise is not there anymore and the whole thing was a subtle reminder for me to drive the car more often.

In the end the service department made the call that this was a warranty visit so I paid nothing. Just two hours of time which for me is meaningless. The advisor gave me two coupons for the local swirl-a-matic car wash as it was obvious the winter rains have taken their toll early on.

As I have done before I like to pass on good stories. The video part was interesting as I wasn’t expecting that. I felt like I was right there as the tech pointed out the places he was checking.

I have never heard of a dealer video streaming a tech looking at a car, excellent idea.

It was my first experience with that as well. I got a text while in the waiting room inviting me to the video. They started it while I loaded the link so it wasn’t live in that sense but the advisor came in a few minutes later and asked if I had seen it.

It’s a great idea.

I have never heard of a dealer video streaming a tech looking at a car, excellent idea.
Most Mazda dealers do this now days, at least in arkansas/Tennesee. Every time I have taken my car in for a service, they will send me a video afterward talking about the inspection. Usually just a tire wear-good, Oil was changed/sample collected, underside no rust, etc I even had one guy compliment me on my exhaust. I think it is a pretty awesome experience.
tires can flat spot overnight.. I had some kumhos that would flat spot in hours.. literally.
My prior Kumho 4x tires would flat spot really quick in colder weather. Usually 24-48 hours. They were good tires, but the flat spotting got a little annoying in the winter. As soon as they warmed up, it would be gone.

I guess between driving just once a week because of this virus thing plus the colder weather settling in prompted the flat spotting. I have the stock Toyo tires on the car. I had thought flat spotting was something that happened when a vehicle sat for weeks or months, not days. I guess I learned something.

Never heard of new radial tires flat spotting, old bias ply and fiber tires yeah. The 20" Pirellis on my Regal GS sit in the garage for weeks and never flat spotted when I would take it out for a drive.

It was my first experience with that as well. I got a text while in the waiting room inviting me to the video. They started it while I loaded the link so it wasn’t live in that sense but the advisor came in a few minutes later and asked if I had seen it.

It’s a great idea.
Yep its a great idea, it would sure cut the chaff out of the business quick enough.

They had the streaming info in the last round of classes I had to take for my Mazda Master certification. Its a pretty cool idea. We are not set up to do it anytime soon though.

It’s one of those “why didn’t we think of this before” ideas.

The particular dealer I went to is doing their remodel right now so lots of construction and temporary setups are in place. The Mazda dealerships look like they will all have a similar look/layout. The dealer I bought the car from had already went through the remodel and it was nice. It used to be a Ford dealership in a WW2 era building. Think Quonset hut.

It’s one of those “why didn’t we think of this before” ideas.

The particular dealer I went to is doing their remodel right now so lots of construction and temporary setups are in place. The Mazda dealerships look like they will all have a similar look/layout. The dealer I bought the car from had already went through the remodel and it was nice. It used to be a Ford dealership in a WW2 era building. Think Quonset hut.
We keep getting told we are getting a new building. Ours is 60s era and it shows. Other locations in the dealer group have had new buildings made. Problem for us is having Ford and Mazda in one location, and our lot is small, is asking a lot of everything. Plus neither manufacturer wants to share space with the other, even when Mazda was part of Ford.

I like the fact that they video taped it. I’ve never seen that done before. That would keep customers from barging in the shop like they always used to do at my shop then stand over top of us which we weren’t allowed to say anything about it either. I wish more shops done that. Also good thing they got it fixed and it didn’t cost you a penny.

Back