another frankenbrew question

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, as you can see in my sig, i maintain my neon and my buddy's vibe. i've been collecting the leftover .5qts to make a frankenbrew for each car. trouble is, i don't drive a whole lot(7k mi june11->june12)I'm doing 6 mo. changes on mine, 5k miles on his, it ends up being 2 changes on his car to 1 on mine. his calls for 5w30, mine 5w20(2005 only yr of neon to NOT spec a 30wt IIRC)so since it would take me 4.5yrs to build up enough 5w20, i am thinking of just combining the 2 jugs.
it would end up being 2.5qts of 5w30, and 2qts of 5w20. what i'm wondering is where this would approx. end up on the scale (5w25? or some such?)
i would have no qualms running this in my neon. (if i didn't already have 15 qts of 5w20 stashed i'd just switch it over to 5w30 for convenience sake.)

current blends are thus:
either already mixed, (or in stash ready to be used)
5w30
.5qt PYB
.5qt Formula Shell
.5qt Mobil Super 5000
(.5qt Nextgen Conventional)
(.5qt ???) 5w20
.5qt nextgen maxlife
.5qt PYB
(.5qt Formula Shell)
(.5qt Mobil Super 5000)
(.5qt Meijer Full Syn)

any thoughts??

Last edited:
Probably a thick 20 weight. Good enough for that car.

But yeah...I'd be wary of using that big of a cluster[censored] blend I guess.

It it were convenient, I'd try to keep the Pennzoil/QS/Shell in one mix and the Mobil/Valvoline in the other. And that would all the thought or concern I would put into it.

As stated above "Use up that left over stash. 5K and call it a day."

Originally Posted By: tstep
It it were convenient, I'd try to keep the Pennzoil/QS/Shell in one mix and the Mobil/Valvoline in the other. And that would all the thought or concern I would put into it.

ok, now you have me curious, why would you keep the SOPUS oils separate from the non SOPUS stuff???

I believe it likely doesn't make a hill of beans difference in real world performance what you mix together.

However I think the oil mixes would perform more closely to how the blender intended if the different additive packages were more similar. For the oils listed, the SOPUS oils all seem very similar when looking at oil analysis. Valvoline and Mobil share the sodium detergent and the SOPUS products do not carry the sodium.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFB1
I'd dump it all together and give it to someone I didn't like...

hey now, i was raised in christian household.(my Grandpa was a second gen. Brethren Pastor, and a Missionary for pete's sake)
we were always taught to treat others they way you'd like to be treated; You know the whole "Do Unto others as you would have them do unto you" and all that.
Or the idea of Karma if you prefer(@ least the way Earl Hickey understood it - Do bad things, and bad things happen to you. Do good things, and good things happen to you)( Did I mention Grandpa's Mission field was India? )

heck if i had an old lawn mower i wouldn't even hove posted this thread, but i don't even have my own LAWN, and dad's Cub is brand spankin' new(might be a 2011) only has 57 hrs on the clock, and kohler doesn't spec a 20wt for it unless it's under 40deg. F(above that it's either 10w30(recommended), or straight 30)

that and it's not my mower.

Last edited:
Why would you not just use the extra .5 qt at the next oil change? What is the point of saving them?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Use up that left over stash. 5K and call it a day.

I'd have no problem with it in my beater.

Originally Posted By: jca
Why would you not just use the extra .5 qt at the next oil change? What is the point of saving them?

Suppose one kept finding deals on the 5qt jugs?
and really, what's more fun:

"I'll save this .5 qt for my next oil change"
-OR-
"I'll craft a FRANKENBREW!"

or I suppose I could just follow my dads suggestion, and pour the leftovers (and the used oil) on his burn pile.

I have a quick question

If i drop about 1/4 a quart of SAE HD30 (detergent supertech)into a crankcase full of 5W20 would it be a good bit thicker, or would it be no difference?

I have start up rattle on 5W20, but not 5W30, and i do not wanna change the oil til 175,000 mi. I have 5W30 i plan to use at that time, but i just bought HD30 oil for the lawnmower, and it is SN spec.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
I have a quick question

If i drop about 1/4 a quart of SAE HD30 (detergent supertech)into a crankcase full of 5W20 would it be a good bit thicker, or would it be no difference?

I have start up rattle on 5W20, but not 5W30, and i do not wanna change the oil til 175,000 mi. I have 5W30 i plan to use at that time, but i just bought HD30 oil for the lawnmower, and it is SN spec.

You'd need probably two quarts to make a noticeable change... Using only a 1/2pint, 20W-50 would not make a noticeable change...

In spite of all the doomsayers, there really isn't a great difference in most 20 & 30w oils(roughly 20%, but there are exceptions)... A 20W can shear(thin)close to 40% and still be in grade, while the 30w will likely be in 20w territory if it sheared only 15-20%, all because it isn't much thicker than 20w to begin with......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back