Need to Frankenbrew some 10w30

I have 2 generators, 1 lawn mower, 1 pressure washer and a lawntractor that runs 10w30.

So I have a stash of 10w30 on hand.. way more than I would have preferred to stock, 7 jugs of it, not including the 1.5 jug of M1 in the shed for the lawntractor … but I was Johnny-on-the-Spot at my local WM on some PP clearance markdowns and just couldn’t resist.. even wifley was impressed with the savings. LOL

., but still, it will be a decade before I use it all up..

I need to Frankenbrew.. and help pass it along..

I have 3 Hondas… all take 0/5w20… my TL handles 5w30 – no issues.. was thinking of using 1 qt/lt of 10w and fill the rest with the 20 wt for all 3 cars..

Comments? Suggestions?

Cheers

J.

Personally, I'd use the 10w30 in any of the engines. I've been running 10w40 API category SL in my '16 Nissan that spec's 5w30 API category SN. I've been using it ever since I bought the car in Feb. 2019 with no issues. I've been running 10w40 conventional in all the cars I've owned since the early '90's that spec'd 5w20/5w30. One of those engines had 518K miles on it when I retired the car. A couple of my current engines are in access of 200K miles. Although I've done it few times when I was running out of one brand and switching to another I don't particularly like mixing weights/brands. Mixing them probably doesn't hurt anything I just prefer to use the same oil throughout an OCI if possible. If I only have 1 or 2 quarts of one brand left I'll mix it with something else and use it in one of the older cars instead of letting it go to waste.

Personally, I'd use the 10w30 in any of the engines. I've been running 10w40 API category SL in my '16 Nissan that spec's 5w30 API category SN. I've been using it ever since I bought the car in Feb. 2019 with no issues. I've been running 10w40 conventional in all the cars I've owned since the early '90's that spec'd 5w20/5w30. One of those engines had 518K miles on it when I retired the car. A couple of my current engines are in access of 200K miles. Although I've done it few times when I was running out of one brand and switching to another I don't particularly like mixing weights/brands. Mixing them probably doesn't hurt anything I just prefer to use the same oil throughout an OCI if possible. If I only have 1 or 2 quarts of one brand left I'll mix it with something else and use it in one of the older cars instead of letting it go to waste.
That's fine in Kentucky, but in Ottawa, 10W40 conventional is probably a little thick, but PP 10W30 should be fine, I have this odd suspicion that it just barely fails 5W, the MRV viscosity at -30C is only like 8000cP, the limit is like 60,000cP, the CCS -25 is like 4000cP which is a good deal under the 6600cP? limit, I'm guessing that at 5W temps it's just a hair thicker than the maximum limits allowed for 5W, which is probably fine in Ottawa.

Mowers and pressure washer are summer usage. Generator is year round.
Agreed... The gen at the lake wont see usage until spring. The gen at the house is stored indoors, as I need all my garage space for the winter, so if i need it, its in a good position.

That's fine in Kentucky, but in Ottawa, 10W40 conventional is probably a little thick, but PP 10W30 should be fine, I have this odd suspicion that it just barely fails 5W, the MRV viscosity at -30C is only like 8000cP, the limit is like 60,000cP, the CCS -25 is like 4000cP which is a good deal under the 6600cP? limit, I'm guessing that at 5W temps it's just a hair thicker than the maximum limits allowed for 5W, which is probably fine in Ottawa.
Thanks ..so if I understand correctly.. straight 10-30 would be adequate in any of my Hondas..?? maybe moreso in summer, rather than winter, although, both Acuras are garaged for the winter, the Civic spends most of its time in ouside.

Back