Another detail - Polish & Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I did another freebie detail for the friends who let me use their garage. Maybe I need to stop...

This is the same FX35 that you have seen some previous wash/wax write-ups about.

What's different about this detail is that the car got a one-step paint correction. Until now, the paint had never been polished – so you can imagine that it did not take much effort to make a noticeable improvement.

You should note that this particular FX35 has the infamous Nissan Scratchshield clearcoat. This clear coat is advertised to be self-healing and can sometimes be difficult to correct.

These owners just wanted a clean and shiny car – they do not care about swirls, waterspots or haze. Given this info, I decided to not focus on swirl removal...but instead, maximize the gloss by removing the light hazing, marring and water spots. As you can see below, I think I accomplished that goal fairly well.

Here's what I did.

Prep:

Wash – Meguiars D110 + Microfiber Madness Incredisponge
Wheels – Wheel Woolies Large + Meguiars D140.
Chemical Decontamination – Iron-X Spray
Clay – Nanoskin Wash Mitt, medium grade

Paint Correction:

Polishers – Rupes Bigfoot LHR21ES and Rupes LHR75E Mini (3” polisher for pillars, liftgate, mirrors)
Pads – Rupes Yellow Polishing Foam Pads, 7” and 3”
Product – HD Polish

Protection:

Paint – Collinite 915, applied using a damp foam applicator
Wheels – Wiped down with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer
Tires – Optimum Opti-Bond
Trim – Blackwow Pro, this is a new product that was recently released.

The total time spent was 7 hours over the course of two nights. 1.5 hour for the prep, 0.5 hour to find a suitable product for the polishing step (I also tested Menzerna SF4000 and HD Speed), 2.5 hour for the polishing step, 0.75 hr to apply the wax and the remaining 1.75 hr to clean-up the polishing dust, prep/restore the trim, wipe-down the wheels, clean door jambs and glass, and put away the supplies. And I thought I was working super fast...

Here are the pictures:

DSC_0154 by thecritic89, on Flickr

This is a better look at the trim and the overall gloss. I'm really liking the natural look that Blackwow Pro gives to the trim:

DSC_0157 by thecritic89, on Flickr

DSC_0156 by thecritic89, on Flickr

DSC_0150 by thecritic89, on Flickr

Last picture:

DSC_0155 by thecritic89, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Correction - D110 (Hyperwash) was also used for the wheels, not D140.

Better than the Showroom Floor!!

thumbsup2.gif

When you do a detail job over a period of two days and the car is parked in the garage overnight do you wash it the next day again and continue with your detail? The reason I ask is several years ago I read a book written by a guy who did Concours d'Elegance quality detailing and he stated re-washing the car was a good idea if it sat overnight to remove dust which could cause scratches. The book was probably written about 30 years ago, but did have some useful information. Thanks! Keep up the great work!

NICE. Good work.

Only disagreement - no junk on tires. I am a stickler for clean, no coatings on tires. Naked, au natural, nothing. Now they don't look bad to most, but to me they look slimey fake. Long live the untreated tire movement!

Nice work, bud!

thanks for sharing.

I wish I have that kind of patience that you do RE: doing washing, polishing and waxing. In fact: I could barely come out with the time needed to maintain 2 cars these days (F/T working parents with 2 boyz).

Plse take care.

Q.

Your friends have got an excellent friend! You are one of the few people who considers 7 hours detailing work as "simple polish and wax job"! I got tired just reading about your efforts :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Your friends have got an excellent friend! You are one of the few people who considers 7 hours detailing work as "simple polish and wax job"! I got tired just reading about your efforts :)

LOL! I feel the same way. I think it's an age thing. When I was his age, I wouldn't mind spending a whole weekend on cleaning the car. Nowadays, it's hard to get motivated to even wash it once a year.

The most patience I have is to work one quarter panel at a time to do the best paint correction that I could do. Then I tell myself that if I really wanted, I could do the whole vehicle but invariably something else comes up.

Thanks guys.

I am 10 hr into a 350z tonight, will post a write-up on that tomorrow.

Look almost better than new, great job! Might want to consider treating the wheel wells with something in the future to finish things off.

The vehicle looks grand!

So, I assume no taping? (Not that you would have needed too since it was a polish)

How fast were you working Polish, if you don't mind...

7 hours is a solid time for that process. Good work!

How do you like 915?

Have you used Opti-Seal yet?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: genynnc
The vehicle looks grand!

So, I assume no taping? (Not that you would have needed too since it was a polish)

How fast were you working Polish, if you don't mind...

7 hours is a solid time for that process. Good work!

How do you like 915?

Have you used Opti-Seal yet?

No taping on this one. The trim is slightly recessed, so the pad doesn't really contact the trim unless you tilted it.

I was going fairly slow, and with light pressure at all times. I used speed 3.5 and did four passes (up/down/up/down). I am finding that the Rupes cuts and finishes fairly well at speeds 3-4, and the product will not dry out at those speeds. If you bump it up to speed 5 or 6, while the cut is a bit better, most products will have a much shorter work time and tend to be more difficult to remove.

The 915 is actually great. I have to thank qwertydude for trading with me. I tried it a few years ago and had a lot of trouble removing it. As it turns out, the stuff goes on much quicker and removes easily if you keep the applicator damp.

I have not tried Opti-Seal yet, and do not have any plans to. What's a good use for it?

Originally Posted By: Picky1
Look almost better than new, great job! Might want to consider treating the wheel wells with something in the future to finish things off.

I would, but I think this owner would flip if I used any dressing near the wheel wells.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When you do a detail job over a period of two days and the car is parked in the garage overnight do you wash it the next day again and continue with your detail? The reason I ask is several years ago I read a book written by a guy who did Concours d'Elegance quality detailing and he stated re-washing the car was a good idea if it sat overnight to remove dust which could cause scratches. The book was probably written about 30 years ago, but did have some useful information. Thanks! Keep up the great work!

It depends. If it was parked indoors, no. But since this car was left outside after the prep and test spots were done, it was re-washed the following day.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Nice work +1

But get you a small, long brush to be used in the wheel well area. Makes a big difference.

I need to do that. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
No taping on this one. The trim is slightly recessed, so the pad doesn't really contact the trim unless you tilted it.

I was going fairly slow, and with light pressure at all times. I used speed 3.5 and did four passes (up/down/up/down). I am finding that the Rupes cuts and finishes fairly well at speeds 3-4, and the product will not dry out at those speeds. If you bump it up to speed 5 or 6, while the cut is a bit better, most products will have a much shorter work time and tend to be more difficult to remove.

The 915 is actually great. I have to thank qwertydude for trading with me. I tried it a few years ago and had a lot of trouble removing it. As it turns out, the stuff goes on much quicker and removes easily if you keep the applicator damp.

I have not tried Opti-Seal yet, and do not have any plans to. What's a good use for it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Opti-Seal... is kind of like CarPro's Hydro20. I can't really use that product in the winter because of all the rain we get... so I just used Opti-Seal year round for wash/wax customers.

Quick application and lasts 2.5- 3 months.

Very economical... 2 sprays per panel maybe. One bottle will easily last 35 mid-size cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back