Another dagger in GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Anyone shorted GM stock yet?

Thought about it. There only seems to be two ways to go IMHO, and one will make you money
smile.gif

"nothing in it's price range would have lasted as long or have been as reliable"

...or driven as crappy, or been as unsafe, or had the paint peel away, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Edmunds.com:

1993 Cavalier Sedan - Trade Value $246
RS Model adds $2

Consumer rating 6.7

1993 Honda Civic Sedan - Trade Value $1296

Consumer Rating 9.1

Let's talk more about those power seats...they really make the car...and add a whopping $2 to the value.
frown.gif

Hi

I drive a ton of miles each year in my work, with some of it in pretty rough conditions which almost begs for a 4x4 pickup.

I am not anti import, infact, some of the styling is quite nice, but I am just not sure the imports can take the pounding my domestic has had.

A co worker from one cubicle over, has a 2001 Camry with 88k miles on the clock. Although the car runs and has the same routes I have, it does seem to be an old car in that it has a lot of squeaks and rattles. Corrosion is begining on the drivers door as well.

My domestic "H" body has 210,000 miles on it, and not a squeak,rattle or any corrosion of the type that infects the Toy.

She likes her camry, but I doubt she can put another 130,000 as its a bit rough already.

I wont put down people who buy imports, but in this severe use category that i find myself in, I just dont think the "imports" can take it.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
"nothing in it's price range would have lasted as long or have been as reliable"

...or driven as crappy, or been as unsafe, or had the paint peel away, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Edmunds.com:

1993 Cavalier Sedan - Trade Value $246
RS Model adds $2

Consumer rating 6.7

1993 Honda Civic Sedan - Trade Value $1296

Consumer Rating 9.1

Let's talk more about those power seats...they really make the car...and add a whopping $2 to the value.
frown.gif

Considering realistically the 1993 Cavalier was at least 2K cheaper to begin with, then you'd be better off with the Cavalier. Also, no timing belt to replace. I had a '93 before my 2002 and sold it with over 150K on it with no major problems at all. In fact the total parts I put on the car would have been cheaper than one timing belt/water pump job on the Civic. Also no paint ever peeled on mine. It was a very good car. Didn't drive "crappy" either. Again, no good reason for me to even consider an import.

1983, 1993, 2003...The Car That Time Forgot.

Edmunds:

The Cavalier RS comes with a droning 2.2-liter inline four-cylinder engine good for 120 horsepower. When mated to a five-speed manual transmission, this engine provides good low-end torque for launching from stoplights, but wheezes weakly in upper rev ranges. Pitch the RS into a corner too hard, and the tail breaks loose because the body of the Cavalier immediately keels over and gives up. Emergency lane changes feel uncontrolled and almost dangerous. Otherwise, the Cavalier makes a good econo-coupe. The ride is very good on the highway, and panic braking was outstanding for a GM product, with little fade and a short distance from speed to stop. Lots of acrid smoke came from the wheelwells, though. Steering gear could use better feel and more resistance, but is acceptable in current form. The clutch is effortlessly light, but is difficult to modulate without practice. Overall, the Cavalier RS ranks average on the fun-to-drive scale, because hard work is not rewarded.

Cruise controls mounted on the left stalk are actually easy to use thanks to larger actuation switches and improved markings over those found in other GM cars. Truly amazing. We knew somebody at GM could design a proper control stalk. It might not look like much in terms of materials, but the Cavalier's interior is ergonomically-correct in most respects.
Our test car was poorly assembled. Inside, the dashboard creaked, rattled, buzzed, clicked, ticked, and squeaked for the duration of our test. The trunk, doors, and hood fit poorly with uneven gaps. The headlight assemblies did not fit uniformly. Dirty car wash water had blown past a bad door seal at the car wash, coating the plastic interior trim near the bottom of the door with whitish fluid. Noise isolation was another problem in the Cavalier RS, with very intrusive tire roar and engine racket loud enough to make one question whether a firewall was installed to separate the engine compartment from the passenger cabin. We highly recommend upgrading the stereo system, or the cacophony created by the Cavalier will drive you insane.

But whaddaya want for $15,000, huh? We'll tell you what we want. >>>We want somebody from Chevrolet to explain to us why we should buy the mediocre but well-equipped Cavalier RS over the excellent but gimmick-free Honda Civic HX Coupe.
[ March 19, 2006, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Auto-Union ]

None of the US car makers are great crowd will answer the two questions:

Which would you rather work for, GM or Toyota of you had a family to feed and a mortgage to pay?
Which stock would you own if it were your retirement in jeopardy?

I know the answers for me, and Toyota probably employs more Americans now than GM does.

It's sad guys - I don't like the way things are, but they are as bad as we've been saying, and as long as there are apologists and people blindly supporting these companies, they will ultimately fail.

Scott

Hi

I need a car to be dependable. Thats why I buy what I buy, not because I am blindly supporting one over another, but because of what I have seen these cars do.

A car, old at 88k mi doesnt inspire confidence.

Auto-Union Get a grip. If that obviously biased Edmunds review were factual then my old Cavalier should have long ago bit the dust and/or killed most of it's occupants. It's trade in value matters not to me, it's not for sale. Cost of ownership, economy and longevity do matter to me. ScottB Wrote "Wow, Rickey. You're "...profession demands enlightenment and education on a constant ever increasing basis" and you post that crap?" Sir don't you think that your comment("post that crap") was a little beneath the good natured character of this board?
frown.gif
Oh and none of my paint has fallen off either. Rickey.

GM, (and Ford, and certainly Chrysler before its buyout) have relied on their respective truck divisions to keep the companies afloat. Otherwise, GM and Ford would have already gone down. Now that Toyota and Nissan, and Honda, are taking market share in light trucks, the last wall of protection is under siege. So, why, if the GM trucks have been so well built and designed (and IMO they are fine), is Toyota and Nissan making headway in this area as well? It positively is NOT because of any price advantage offered by Toyota and Nissan. Those pickup trucks and minivans sell at a premium to the domestics. Has to be a reason...

In the truck arena Toyota is readying its biggest blow to date to the Big Three cash cows.

Say hello to the new '07 Tundra.

-

-

[ March 19, 2006, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

Rick(e)y, if you don't see the qualities in your car that the Edmunds article and others here have pointed out, you really aren't looking at it too critically. A model GM customer.

When answering those questions, should the fact that job security at almost any company is no guarantee (.com bombs, anyone?) be ignored along with the fact that people investing for their retirement have long been advised to have a diversified portfolio?

(I'd be very surprised if, between all of the the mutual funds in my 401K, I didn't have money in both GM and Toyota stock).

Auto-Union wrote "Holding up a Cavalier as the pinacle of automotive manufacture is frankly, a joke." Well Ha Ha my joke has outlasted my neighbors '01 camry by at least 100k miles. It's engine will recriprocate no more without a rebuild. Sludged up beyond all belief I suppose. Yes it WAS smoking. "Oh what a feeling!" I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of miles have been logged up on the beaterz.com car you posted? At least it's still saleable. Regards, Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back