Another dagger in GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I'm glad to see someone has a brain in their skull as regards the "umbrella effect" of losing/having a hostile takeover of GM by TOYota.

GM is the last thing TOYOTA will ever need.
Unions, stupid management and horrible cars killed GM.
There will be no GM in a couple of years, at least not in its current form.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

GM is the last thing TOYOTA will ever need.
Unions, stupid management and horrible cars killed GM.
There will be no GM in a couple of years, at least not in its current form.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, I guess they will only be another "notch on Toyota's gun stock" or should that be "another stars and stripes painted on their Zero's fucilage" (yeah, I know Mitsush!tsu made those) to most in this country.
frown.gif

I own what is generally regarded as one of the worst of those supposedly "horrid" cars, the supposed "epitome" of unreliability/poor design/blah, blah, blah, and a performance model on top of that. Most Camry drivers would think that this thing would fall to pieces pulling out of the dealer lot for the first time!
lol.gif
It's funny, I beat the sh!t out of this thing, race it everywhere, daily drive it in all conditions, etc., NOT ONCE in 90K miles has it EVER let me down, not started, or run poorly!! It even gets 30+ mpg on the highway (how many other 12.5 second 1/4 mile cars can make that claim??)! I guess it must be blind, dumb, sh!t luck, huh?
rolleyes.gif

I've owned GM in the past, but none now. My biggest gripe w/ GM is the lack of response to problems - and I am referring to the infamous intake gasket problems that plagued 3.1, 3.4, 3.8, etc. engines for year after year after year! How on earth can this be possible?? THAT type of issue is why I avoid GM products currently.

Years ago (probably around 98), I bought a new Chevy Venture with my hard earned money and got a rude awakening. The intake gasket went bad in less than 2.5 years, mileage at 36,xxx miles (slightly over warranty of 36k). It was religiously maintained (oil change every 3k). But GM wouldn't stand behind their product (even the service manager noted that it was not a maintenance item!). But the regional manager refused to give any consideration (I would be happy if they chipped in half). So I traded it in soon and GM lost a customer forever. Not only that, any one I know or associate with, I've talked them out of buying GM (successfully, multiple times no less). All cars have problems, just couldn't stand a company that does not stand behind their products or owning up to a defect they know about.

This kind of customer experience is what drives GM out of business (feels bad for their workers).

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
dd,

what kind of car is it?

Why ****, it's the ultimate "mulletmobile" (gotta love those ricey metro hacks and their stereotypes!), a 2000 Z28, no options car. Yes, I know where it is screwed together, but it is still an American company!
patriot.gif

BTW, I spent anything off of the showroom floor from Japan beat it's performance for that price!

Mods, maybe this should be locked down? I just noticed at the top where it says, no politics, etc. This thread is turning, (or will) turn political/trade soon, so it's up to you. Sorry if I helped push it in this direction.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dailydriver:

quote:

dd,

what kind of car is it?

Why ****, it's the ultimate "mulletmobile" (gotta love those ricey metro hacks and their stereotypes!), a 2000 Z28, no options car. Yes, I know where it is screwed together, but it is still an American company!
patriot.gif
canada.gif

BTW, I spent anything off of the showroom floor from Japan beat it's performance for that price!

quote:

Originally posted by dailydriver:

quote:

dd,

what kind of car is it?

patriot.gif

"Mulletmobile" LOL
lol.gif
This pops to mind

-

An american classic!

Competition (another word for evolution) is good for business (the "species"). A company that fails to sucessfully compete will ultimately tank (survival of the fittest). The biggest "company" in the world, the Soviet Union (300,000,000 "employees" assigned free health care, annual vacations at spas, guaranteed jobs making products of questionable reliability that fellow citizens didn't want, and subsidized food and housing), with all its management (party bosses) problems, couldn't sucessfully compete in the end and collapsed under its own weight. Russia still has serious problems, but it's also shown surprising resiliency at coping with them once representative democracy, if only in hobbled form, was given a chance. GM's likely in for a hard landing, but if that's what it takes to break the yoke of the UAW, let it happen ("the chickens have come home to roost").

[ March 17, 2006, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

The fact that their bond rating has fallen to junk bond status means that debt will cost GM signficantly more in the future. I like a lot of the GM vehicles and drive a Tahoe....but they need to turn things around in a hurry. Toyota and Honda are not invincible, but they make a good product.

The good news is that despite all of the bad things that happen...GM is still the largest automaker in the world (2 out of 5 cars sold in the US are GMs). The bad news is that they can't make any money selling them!!!

"GM is still the largest automaker in the world (2 out of 5 cars sold in the US are GMs)."

Isn't it closer to 1 out of 5 (26%)? Toyota passed Ford last year I think, and will inevitably pass GM worldwide as well. They are also moving some initial manufacturing to China. Outside of Northern Europe, rest of world prefers Toyotas.

GM biggest problem goes back 50 years and in my opinion it is the overpaid "WHATS GOOD FOR GM IS GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY" attitude. CEOs,CFOs and the high priced board members with their 1940 busniess ideas are what is wrong the company. Top management are the ones who bent over for the unions and now we must all pay the price. They need new management from the top down to the line managers and bankrupsy procedings to give them any chance to compete in todays busniess world. I'm not sure even the Penske organization could turn the mess arount that GM management has created. JMO

I've read that between 1 in 7 and 1 in 9 US jobs are tied to GM directly or indirectly.

Lots of small town jobs are dependent on a local factory that supplies GM with various parts. If GM goes bankrupt, the contracts they wrote with those suppliers are null and void. If the factory shuts down, the town goes under. And everyone will lose their jobs. Not just at the factory, but those who work at the WalMart, the Pamida, the McDonalds, the tavern that serves the factory workers..... it's all gone.

GM Haters: Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it. Pick out your shopping carts now for best selection.

Into stealership for warranty work.

A couple weeks later a survey sent from corporate GM asking about satisfaction with treatment from dealer.

A few days later a post cars insisting I return the survey.

1. I spent thousands of dollars for a vehicle and GM demands I fill out a survey.

2. Nothing to urge me to do the survey such as being entered into a drawing for a hundred bucks or anything to make the effort worth my while.

3. I do not really care how I am treated at the dealership.... the survey asked about warm fuzzy stuff, NOT if the repairs had cured the problem, etc. The folks fixing my vehicle can be rough gruff tough guys, I just want them to truly care about doing repairs properly.

4. For years Toyota has scored quite low on various ratings/surveys in regards to customer satisfaction towards dealerships. Yet, Toyota just keeps on akin to that battery rabbit.... they just keep on selling and selling and selling.....

5. GMC apparently is more concerned with warm fuzzy feel-good stuff and is ignoring what is truly important when I and others go in for repairs/warranty work/etc., that the vehicle is fixed properly and is made to provide reliable service for a suitable duration.

6. Huge bureaucracies stuck in what appears to be a time warp and unresponsive to consumer wants and desires. Instead, as indicated by the demanding post card, GMC wants me to please them, to do their bidding. Bah!!!!!!!!

7. A gentle nudge within my cranium informs me that I should have followed my first instinct... go for a Toyota and leave that Chevy pick-up alone.

8. Due to depreciation I need to hang on to the Chevy for several years. But, when it's time to replace.................. well.... Bye GMC. Your attitude as conveyed via your survey and post card tells me to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back