Another crazy scheme, please debunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am looking at buying an LS1, and instead of looking at car reviews, I am reading about what filter would be the right size for it.

I found out they have an internal bypass valve.

So, my random and unfounded question is this.

I have a permacool sandwich adapter that will convert anything to ¾ by 16, and run my MG filter.

So, here is my question. Is there any reason that a hydraulic filter could not be run, FCI aside, if I can find HYD filter with a ADBV?

quote:

Originally posted by Shaman:
So I am looking at buying an LS1, and instead of looking at car reviews, I am reading about what filter would be the right size for it.

I found out they have an internal bypass valve.

So, my random and unfounded question is this.

I have a permacool sandwich adapter that will convert anything to ¾ by 16, and run my MG filter.

So, here is my question. Is there any reason that a hydraulic filter could not be run, FCI aside, if I can find HYD filter with a ADBV?

As long as it filters fine enough and has low enough restriction that the bypass valve stays closed the vast majority of the time, you could use your collection of old socks in a Frantz housing.

The ADBV valve is probably the biggest problem. Since the filter is mounted open end up, that's not as bad as it could be.

I was really lost in this thread for a moment or three.

(now I may be having one of my "episodes"
shocked.gif
cue eerie music)

Your getting a LSI ..and figured out that it has an in block bypass. You then want to use your Permacool to put a 3/4-16 hydraulic filter of very fine filtration ...and you don't care about how often it needs to be changed. You're figuring that your MG will keep everything tiddy enough to make the hydraulic filter last long enough

Is that about it?

The only thing that I think will limit you is the availabilty in that thread. Wix 51410 is a hydraulic filter. It has no bypass and no ADBV ..but only has a 25um nominal rating. If you cross that to a Donaldson ..you get your basic lube spin-on with ADBV and bypass valve.

What might be a very cheap alternative is to get a hydraulic mount from Northertool and it has it's own 25lb bypass and uses the 1-12 threads that are popular in hydraulic filters. It's like $14+ which included the filter and the head.

The only problem, as XS650 says, is that there aren't any that I've run across with an ADBV. This can be solved with a ball-check ..but if mounting is high enough, it will just drain forward. You will keep the line full though.

Conditions and restrictions aside, you can get something like a Donaldson P179089 that has a 2um nominal and a 10um absolute.

B - Thread Size (Inches): 1-12
C - Length (Inches): 7.87
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.81
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.42
Product Type Description: HYDRAULIC SPIN-ON
Primary Application: Donaldson LPS04 SPIN-ON
Media Type: Synthetic
Efficiency Beta 2 (Micron): 2
Efficiency Beta 20 (Micron): 7
Efficiency Beta 75 (Micron): 10
Application Note: 10 MICRON ABS. SYNTHETIC MEDIA

I did find some 3/4-16 hydraulic filters in Donaldson ..but their beta numbers were not impressive. They appear to be rebadged lube filters. No finer um ratings ..at least nothing that you couldn't get with a M1 or PureOne
dunno.gif

I forgot about the northern tool filters being 1" threads. That is what I'm afraid of. I cannot access the northerntool website because I am at work, but I will try to do some more research. I may just do a dual remote, but I want to use the motorguard, and plumbing in the motorguard on a remote filter would be kinda interesting. I guess when I figure out what kind of room there between the sandwich adapter and the bottom of the pan, I will see what i can play with.

Thanks for debunking. I will try to find some better info on the hydraulic stuff and see if a remote setup would be worthwhile, or if I can just run the filter at the mount and then the motorguard wherever i put it. Time to find the bypass settings of the fbody filters.

Okay ..you were not talking of a remote. (like I said, I was lost ..and having an "episode"
shocked.gif
).

Yes, I missed the "sandwich" part of the permacool.

I think that you're out of luck for a fine hydraulic in a 3/4-16 thread.

Then again ...

P550426

HYDRAULIC SPIN-ON
Element assy, Zinga, 10 micron nominal cellulose, 3.4'' long

Hydraulic Filters Product Attributes
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4-16
C - Length (Inches): 3.39
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.75
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.37
Primary Application: ZINGA BE10-18
Substitution: similar to P550335 except
Substitution 2: .153 media, 18 psi byp., no
Substitution 3: anti drain valve

Same thing w/o a bypass valve.

P550464

HYDRAULIC SPIN-ON

Hydraulic Filters Product Attributes
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4-16
C - Length (Inches): 3.39
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.75
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.37
Primary Application: ZINGA BE10-0, GALBREATH 1674
Substitution: SAME AS P550426 EXCEPT NO
Substitution 2: BYPASS VALVE

quote:

Originally posted by Shaman:
... So, here is my question. Is there any reason that a hydraulic filter could not be run, FCI aside, if I can find HYD filter with a ADBV?

That would be a definate NO NO.

Hydraulic filters are not designed to withstand the riggors of life on an internal combustion engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back