Another battery bites the dust...

My Accord has been slow to start for the past 3 days. The last 2 times this happened the battery quit a day or so after these symptoms showed up. I purchase the Everstart Maxx batteries from Walmart for my Accord. The first lasted 2 years which was replaced for free under warranty from WM, the second lasted 2 years which was replaced today (prorated). So this is my third battery in a matter of 4 or so years. This battery has the full 3 year warranty. With any luck it will fail before 3 years and I'll get another free one. I attribute it to my short trips. So far I have put under 1700 miles on the car since January. We live very close to work.
Yup, short trips and warm climate = battery killer.
I guess you could do one of two things, replace every 2 years since its free to do or replace every 4-5 years by constantly putting a maintenance charger on it. Your vehicle is considered severe use due to the low mileage.

Yup, short trips and warm climate = battery killer.
I guess you could do one of two things, replace every 2 years since its free to do or replace every 4-5 years by constantly putting a maintenance charger on it. Your vehicle is considered severe use due to the low mileage.
Free to do so for just the first battery. The 2nd battery they give you gets pro-rated. I guess I believe they don’t test the battery when you bring it back so it’s probable a person can pull off that unethical trick.

By the way, what’s the difference between a person returning a good battery for a replacement and a person who returns jugs of used motor oil to Walmart? I’ve seen this battery strategy discussed at Bitog before. :)

Last edited:
Free to do so for just the first battery. The 2nd battery they give you gets pro-rated. I guess I believe they don’t test the battery when you bring it back so it’s probable a person can pull off that unethical trick.

By the way, what’s the difference between a person returning a good battery for a replacement and a person who returns jugs of used motor oil to Walmart? I’ve seen this battery strategy discussed at Bitog before. :)
Ah ... well, the times we got free replacements they tested the battery, each time it was a bad cell.
I dont believe someone would get a used battery anymore then any other place. same with motor oil.
The internet amplifies the bad things that rarely happen for the volume sold.

Free to just the second battery? I wasnt aware of that, I guess that is still much better then none at all and/or the same as other retail stores who offer free 3 year replacements..

Before we trash the Walmart Everstart MAXX lets see if the OP can determine the manufacturer of the battery that failed.

Well given that they’re getting offshore to Mexico, it’s not leaving us with many options, Is it?

I have my doubts that it’s the fault of the maxx/WM. I’m pretty sure they were the same batteries that NAPA (for example) sold.

I wouldn’t doubt that the offshoring was due to getting the WM contract and being forced to extract cost out of everything, no matter the ramifications.

From the ramblings from a few threads we know that Walmart is getting batteries from both the USA and from Mexico. This is evident from the Made in ........ sticker. Also it’s evident that both Clarios and East Penn are suppliers and possible others. Its further evident that some of the batteries are flat top maintenance free and some have removable caps requiring checking of the fluid level, and that feature is not necessarily manufacturer specific.

My Accord has been slow to start for the past 3 days. The last 2 times this happened the battery quit a day or so after these symptoms showed up. I purchase the Everstart Maxx batteries from Walmart for my Accord. The first lasted 2 years which was replaced for free under warranty from WM, the second lasted 2 years which was replaced today (prorated). So this is my third battery in a matter of 4 or so years. This battery has the full 3 year warranty. With any luck it will fail before 3 years and I'll get another free one. I attribute it to my short trips. So far I have put under 1700 miles on the car since January. We live very close to work.
Living in Texas, I only get 3 years out of the Mickey Mouse 51R battery in my wife's CR-V, regardless of brand or CCA rating. I would install a bigger battery, but there isn't any room to do so.
On Walmart's Everstart Maxx batteries, only pay attention to the free replacement part of the warranty. The pro-rated part is worthless IMO. It is a scam. Look closely at the terms. When you pay to replace a battery under the pro-rated part of the warranty (say, year 4 of the 5 year warranty), you will end-up paying nearly the full retail price, but the replacement battery basically has no warranty. The warranty is only good from the sale date of the ORIGINAL battery that you purchased and you get NO free replacement period (having to pay the pro-rated part, you already went through that this past time).

Living in Texas, I only get 3 years out of the Mickey Mouse 51R battery in my wife's CR-V, regardless of brand or CCA rating. I would install a bigger battery, but there isn't any room to do so.
On Walmart's Everstart Maxx batteries, only pay attention to the free replacement part of the warranty. The pro-rated part is worthless IMO. It is a scam. Look closely at the terms. When you pay to replace a battery under the pro-rated part of the warranty (say, year 4 of the 5 year warranty), you will end-up paying nearly the full retail price, but the replacement battery basically has no warranty. The warranty is only good from the sale date of the ORIGINAL battery that you purchased and you get NO free replacement period (having to pay the pro-rated part, you already went through that this past time).

Glad I purchased a Duracell from Batteries and Bulbs about a month ago.

a simple charger WILL prolong any batterys life + save the PITA of frequent replacements!!

When I owned an 8th gen Accord I installed the battery from the V6 model. Might have been the 24F. That’s the size my 9th gen Accord V6 came with and the East Penn/Deka brand has outlasted the Johnson Control batteries. I’m on my 3rd battery with this car.

Back