Another AGM battery brand is now made in Germany....Interstate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a recovering German car addict....

A lot of Made In Germany stuff isn't what it once was. There are into recycled materials of which don't necessarily have the best long term reliability. This was for many interior parts, the German made stuff would delaminate or become sticky with time. The Mexican made stuff would hold up for years.

It pains me to say it, but country of origin sometimes is counter intuitive.

I always look for USA, Germany, Japan, Italy, etc on a product I want quality in. But sometimes there is more to the story.

When I used to sell batteries thru AAA, I know I learned that VARTA made all the DIN battery sizes; the plants in Canby, Oregon and Tennesse (I think Johnson City?) made mostly BCI sizes with a few exceptions like Group 65 batteries because there is an equivalent DIN size. However, I’m pretty sure there is no AGM capacity in the US with Clarios, but could be wrong there.
The JIS S46B24L size used in the 2002-2015 Prius and the RAV4 Hybrid are from Delkor for Clarios to supply to their clients, unless they’re getting them from Deka(O’Reilly) or the EFB version from GS Yuasa in Japan(Interstate). The AGM 24F/35/65 I’ve seen at Costco don’t say Made in Mexico or Germany/Spain on them.

The JIS S46B24L size used in the 2002-2015 Prius and the RAV4 Hybrid are from Delkor for Clarios to supply to their clients, unless they’re getting them from Deka(O’Reilly) or the EFB version from GS Yuasa in Japan(Interstate). The AGM 24F/35/65 I’ve seen at Costco don’t say Made in Mexico or Germany/Spain on them.
Interesting; I have a contact who works at the Clarios Plant in Canby, OR. I shall ask him.

Delkor is another interesting operation as that was started under Delco Remy when GM started investing in Daewoo and Isuzu. I think they also have an Australian plant that originally supplied to Holden.

Interesting; I have a contact who works at the Clarios Plant in Canby, OR. I shall ask him.

Delkor is another interesting operation as that was started under Delco Remy when GM started investing in Daewoo and Isuzu. I think they also have an Australian plant that originally supplied to Holden.
I’m seeing lots of Delkor in the US with the ACDelco label. I thought Hyundai and Kias came with them under the Solite label - turns out Hyundai has a subsidiary that makes batteries and alloy wheels. And Walmart EverStarts on the west coast is primarily Korean now - Hyundai Songwoo is one of the vendors, alongside Hankook Atlas(who is Tesla’s main SLA 12V supplier), and DN Automotive Korea BTS, formerly known as Dong-An Tire and Rubber - I bolded letters, since the Walmart S/Ns start as AAAxxxxxxxx. We all know in the Walmart universe that JCI = Clarios and EPM = Deka.

Made in Germany much better than made in China.

I bought Varta alkaline batteries at Ikea and they were labelled as made in Germany. Might have been 2003? I have never, ever seen batteries leak that badly and that fast. Then there are Renata silver oxide batteries made in Switzerland. I've heard of some watch repair people who absolutely refuse to use them.

renataNO.jpg

I've been using Renata in a couple sizes, 399 and 357 in silver oxide for at least a couple years now, no issue or leaking...so far. Fingers crossed. Nothing super valuable...calculators, Seiko alarm clock and Mitutoyo digital caliper.

The AGM 24F/35/65 I’ve seen at Costco don’t say Made in Mexico or Germany/Spain on them.
I think that is because it is (so far) only the Euro sized batteries (H5, H6, H7, H8) that Costco/Interstate has with the "made in Germany" labels. I saw both H8 and H7 with the "made in Germany" labels at a Costco last night. Its possible Varta does not make AGM other than the Euro sized ones.

The other sizes may continue to be made domestically.

Last edited:
I've been using Renata in a couple sizes, 399 and 357 in silver oxide for at least a couple years now, no issue or leaking...so far. Fingers crossed. Nothing super valuable...calculators, Seiko alarm clock and Mitutoyo digital caliper.
I try to use Panasonic or Sony/Murata for the CR cells - AmazonBasics and Energizer are the same thing.

Oh wait, wrong convo.

Seizaken. Maxell, MuRata (bought Sony’s button cell business), or Energizer as a second choice. This is really corny though.

manga_en.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back