Another 2003 Nissan Xterra 3.3 oil thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first got this rig, I tried the recced PYB 5w30 and found it sherred down and caused engine noise at less than 3k miles. 10W40 lasted a little longer and no noticeable engine tick at startup until 4k. Delo 15w40 lasted almost 4.5k miles.

These motors are very hard on oil. A sub 3.5 qt sump and a tiny filter. There are a few Mobil1 analyses on here showing completely worn out oil at less than 5500 miles.

We recently took a cross country road trip. Before the trip I filled up with delo synthetic 5w40 and a fram ultra filter. We did a lot of hwy, a lot of offroading, and climbed to over 13k feet.

At the 4k mile mark, the engine noise started. Just an ever so slight rattle noise that signals the oil taking a beating. Unfortunately, I wasn't in an area to change for another 500 miles.

Tried to pay for a simple drain and fill as I didn't wanna remove the skid plates or ditch the fram ultra after only 4k miles. I also couldnt get delo 5w40 and instead could only find rotella 15w40 synthetic.

Drain, filled, and drove the 4k miles onward/home.

My question is:

Delo 15w40 is the cheapest oil at about 8.99 a gallon. I like the idea of an expensive filter, but with oil not lasting past 4k, it needs to go to two drain and fills to make sense.

Is there any harm is doing a drain and fill of 15w40 delo every 3300 miles and swapping out the fram ultra every 10k?

The engine is clean as a whistle from doing 5w30 changes every 3k. I'd just like to save a little money if I can... All while getting a cleaner better protected engine.

I don't understand how some motors beat up a great oil l like Pennzoil and some leave it with little wear at 12,000 miles. What makes an engine hard on oil? My prior Nissan Sentra had a barely 3qt capacity and 250,000 on lax and cheap oil and it was still whisper quiet and no oil usage when I traded it in.

Your nissan sentra wasn't a 170hp v6 toting a 4600lb 4x4 around?

My little Suzuki 1.6 held 5qts of oil... But 4400 rpm on the hwy and 6400 rpm shift points meant even the best synthetic didn't last 5k.

Application. Application. Application.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I still don't understand why they used such small oil capacities on those.

If this is a common issue has anybody made an aftermarket larger oil pan?

Try Delo 15w30 (Yes, 15w30). You can find it at truck stops. I doubt you will find anything more shear stable other than a straight oil.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Try Delo 15w30 (Yes, 15w30). You can find it at truck stops. I doubt you will find anything more shear stable other than a straight oil.

As long as they aren't starting it when it's -20 out, SAE30 would work. Especially with hard use. You can get SAE30 for $2.50 a quart at Walmart. SM rated.

As long as they aren't starting it when it's -20 out, SAE30 would work. Especially with hard use. You can get SAE30 for $2.50 a quart at Walmart. SM rated.
why SM rated?

Originally Posted By: ccap41
I still don't understand why they used such small oil capacities on those.

If this is a common issue has anybody made an aftermarket larger oil pan?

The oil pan already comes down a little too low for my tastes.

These are 300k motors all day long. But they also appear to be one of the few requiring that old 3k mile oil change...

Did the rotella 15w-40 fix the tick? did you chose not to contiune to use it?

Can't remember if these two oils were mentioned,PYB and/or VWB 10W40. These two oils have a good reputation for quieting down and smoothing out noisy engines.

Originally Posted By: zach1900

why SM rated?

That's what it was on the bottle, I believe.

Another two thoughts.. Rotella T5 that is API SM certified too. Very strong additive package, semi synthetic, and a bit higher HTHS and higher operating viscosity. Or Rotella T6 full synthetic.. Or maybe Mobil Delvac 5w-40 as well which is full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

A V6 making only 170hp?

My 1990's Maxima 3.0 V6 made 200 HP if I recall. That car was literally bullet proof in every regard.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

A V6 making only 170hp?

1st gen Xterra/Frontiers used a 3.3l v6 rated at 170 hp and I believe 200 ft lbs of torque. In '05 they stared using the VQ40 V6 rated at 261 hp and 281 TQ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back