annoying squeaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
From last winter, I noticed some squeaks from the front of the car esp. when I make a turn. I thought it could be the salt and the squeaks were not very noticeable.

Recently, the squeaks are becoming more and more noticeable and now, sometimes, I can even hear some squeaks while driving forward. The squeaks do not happen every time but they happen more and more frequently these days. And like I said, they happen more frequently when I turn the wheel slowly and at low speed, say when I turn into a parking spot.

Could it be the power steering system? I checked the fluid level and it was good. Thanks for any advice!

PS: my car is a chevy malibu 2003 w/ about 106, 000 KM (66, 000 miles).

If you push down on the front bumper repeatedly does it do it or is it only when you are steering with/without the brake on?

Only when I steer it.

I'd say the squeaks happen more frequently after brake is applied. Today, when I drove back home on highway at about 70 KM/h (55 mph), I could hear some little squeaks while I was going straight without brake. When I apply brake, then no squeaks. When I turn the wheel, then 80% of the chance, I'll hear the squeaks at low speed.

btw, I had changed the brake pads about 5000 KM (3000 miles) ago and the pads were worn out. I thought the squeaks could be caused by worn pads but it seems the problem is worse than I initially thought.

Check inside the Shock Towers, I believe their is a bearing of some sorts that dries out and causes this... I'm not sure how you get at it though.
thumbsup2.gif

You could pop the hood, have someone steer and move the vehicle slowly and you could listen to see where it is coming from. This would give you a better idea where to start...

You could also have a mechanic take a test drive with you and see if they can pinpoint it.
wink.gif

Another thing I forgot to mention: the squeaks can only be heard with the windows down. If the windows are closed, then I can hardly hear any squeaks.

@mechtech2: why could a loose drive belt cause such squeaks when turning? Please bear with me as I'm still new to car maintenance. Thanks!
55.gif

You could do the quick fix, and just turn-up the radio until it gets worse... Then attack the problem when you can determine where it's really coming from.
grin2.gif

There is a load on the power steering when turning force is needed.
This extra load can cause a squeal/squeak. And it is common for a loose belt to do this.
Check out the easy stuff first.
Another possibility is coolant on the belt - it will squak and squeal.
Coolant can be from a bad hose, radiator, or water pump.

Today, I pulled off the wheels and noticed something leaking pretty bad... This is from the driver side front wheel. See the photos attached.

IMG00002-20090606-1737.jpg

IMG00003-20090606-1737.jpg

That's your steering rack.
A seal is bad, and maybe the bushing has slop.

Is it the noise that you talked about? Could be, or could be indirectly by making the pump work harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back