An oil change story - Engine Restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last week I changed the oil in our 1.8L 2003 Vibe. It has 98k miles. I have used Valvoline DuraBlend until about 80k then switched to MaxLife (5W30).

I noticed it was running a little rough over the past 10k or so. Not terribly rough, but slightly. Every three or four oil changes I'll put in a bottle of "sludge cleaner" (for lack of a better term) since we've had the car (Oct. 2005). I have in the past used a Gold Eagle product I bought from a local repair shop in WI, but can't get it here in KY so I've been using the NAPA Engine Cleaner product recently.

So for this oil change I used the NAPA product, and also used Engine Restore (little silver cylinder can - can find it at Walmart and any auto parts store). It says it restores compression, especially for engines over 50k miles. When I started the vehicle it was almost immediatly smoother. When I drove it, acceleration was better and more immediate. Anyone else have any thoughts on this product?

Nope. Why mess with the oil's formulation? If you want good additives in your oil just get a good high quality full synthetic.

Yeah, I've used it with good results. There have been a number of threads that deal with this product but they're all in Oil Additives section. Look there first.

I have used Restore. In fact, its the only additive I will use at times, since in general I don't believe in additives. My reasoning is that it doesn't "add" to oil performance, its designed to fill the micro scratches in the cylinder walls, and increase compression. About 10 years ago, Restore even gave out a compression gauge to prove their products ability.

I won't use it until 150,000 miles, or so. My engines stay tight at least for that long. Good product, IMHO. Just wouldn't recommend using it until you really need it. At 50K, I would assume you engine is still quite tight...

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Nope. Why mess with the oil's formulation? If you want good additives in your oil just get a good high quality full synthetic.

Restore is not an "additive" to boost lubrication or anything along those lines the way you are thinking. Restore is a product you add to your oil that is supposed to "restore" compression. Has stuff in it( looks like fleks of brass )that melts as the engine heats up that is supposed to fill in scratches/gouges/ grooves, etc... in the cylinder wall caused by wear. It claims to "restore" the engine's compression level to normal operating condition helping to "restore" power and fuel economy and reduce oil consumption. Will not block oil passages or anything.

I have used it with mixed results. It actually does work somewhat but only in engines with MINOR wear and tear of the cylinder walls. Have major wear or busted rings and it isn't going to do a darn thing. I have seen it actually return results as advertised but I have also seen it do nada. Again, it depends on how bad the engine is.

You can't by a rebuild kit in a can though and many people think that is what this is. It isn't that expensive so if you have an older car that has lost a step and is burning a little oil it won't hurt to try it. Complete waste of time and money if used in a new car.

Here is more info if anyone is interested...

http://www.restoreusa.com/Engine_Restorer.html

EDIT - sorry to basically repeat what others said above. They posted as I was typing and getting the link so I didn't see their responses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have used Restore. In fact, its the only additive I will use at times, since in general I don't believe in additives. My reasoning is that it doesn't "add" to oil performance, its designed to fill the micro scratches in the cylinder walls, and increase compression.

Those are my thoughts too regarding oil addatives. I don't see the point in addatives that supposedly provide better wear protection - that is the oil's job and most are decent or better at that. I got good results with the Restore almost immediately last week using it at 98k miles.

I had a mechanic friend many years ago who swore Restore was great. He had an old beater he added it too and the results were almost instant, the car just ran better. I would say in a car that has some wear issues the product might just do the trick. In a car with no problems its a waste of money. With that said it is one of the very few products capable of delivering almost instant results, in a pour in liquid form.

I have used Restore when trying to unstick a ring and/or lazy lifters. (Before I knew about ARX)

I agree that additives shouldn't be needed ever, but you sometimes get an abused engine and these sorts of additives buy you a bit of time until you can properly fix it. Or help you fix a problem without having to R&R the engine.
thumbsup2.gif

As regular maintenance they are a waste and the extra cash you spend on this stuff would be better spent in a higher quality oil with a stout additive package!
wink.gif

Last edited:
At 98K, if it's running rough, I'd be looking at tune up items like plugs, wires, fuel filter etc. before dumping that snake oil crud in my car.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
At 98K, if it's running rough, I'd be looking at tune up items like plugs, wires, fuel filter etc. before dumping that snake oil crud in my car.

That's why I called most OTC additives : "10 min gratification-in-a-can", for many folks would rather spend 10 bux and put in one of those in their out-of-tune vehicles than spending a hundred bux getting it fixed right.

LOL.gif

Q.

I used it on some beaters I had. They did run smoother, seemed to have more power and used less oil.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
... before dumping that snake oil crud in my car.

That "snake oil" even offered a compression gauge, to let the user see the difference for his self... I think this is a case of guilt just by association, since many adds ARE junk.

Last edited:
A friend had a '68 Impala with a tired 327 and used Restore. He said it did improve the engine's compression. Eventually he tore it down for a rebuild and said you could see where the brass colored material from the Restore had been deposited in the cylinder wall scratches.

I used it on an old John Deere 112 with a Kohler 10 horse once. It did seem to reduce oil burning and smoking.

I would probably not use it in an engine unless I knew it was at the end of its wear cycle before a rebuild though. Just my two cents...

Andrew S.

My experience: the stuff makes a 250k tired and smoke cloud engine transform into a 150k tired trace of smoke engine. We used it in a 400ci ford LTD 4-door, and an old mercury monarch. I'd not use the stuff on a more modern engine with overhead cams and pump up valve assemblies.

You had better not need Restore in a modern engine with only 98k on it. Plain good oil is best.
If it is worn out and smoking, you can try it. Like mentioned, it gets mixed results, but can help. I think the sealing is mostly for valve faces and rings/piston, not on the cylinder walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back