An oil change OCD story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many of us BITOG'ers, I am OCD about maintenance on my vehicle's and like to use the best fluids available. My daughter bought herself a 2012 Elantra last summer and i have more than graciously been performing oil changes on it. Yesterday she took her car back to the dealership to have the rear windshield wiper replaced and she walked out $60 poorer. They told her she needed to have the oil changed. I have yet to look at the bill but no doubt it will be dealer bulk oil and a Hyundai oil filter. I had a shiny new jug of QSUD 5w20 waiting here along with a PureONE filter. I won't be able to sleep for the next 4 months. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

A glass of wine before retiring...?

You could call the dealer and find out what oil they used, if that would give you peace of mind...one way or another.

Last edited:
Use this situation as a teaching tool / learning experience for both you and your daughter.

Can't do much now except learn from the past.

Hyundai dealers in my area use Quaker State dino so hopefully that's what they used in your daughter's case. I wouldn't worry about it but that glass of wine could help as well.

Last edited:
Bring the car back to the dealer and demand that they change the oil out for some Sustina...the one with the gold flakes in it. Tell them you're concerned the engine was used to having synth and will now become constipated if they used dino. Also, the junk OEM filter they used will clog up within the first hundred miles and starve the engine. You're hopelessly screwed. Sell the car now before it disintegrates.

OK, OK, I'm a wiseguy...seriously, relax dude. Drink the whole bottle if you need to.

Same thing happened to my daughter's car. Went in for state inspection and needed brakes. Since it had been 5,000 miles since it was last there, they changed the oil and filter. Couldn't get too upset over a $20 Kendall semi-syn oil change. I had a jug of PP and filter waiting for a nice warm day. Just held it for the next change.
I would have been upset if I changed it 2 weeks before inspection and they dumped it. THAT would have made me lose sleep.

They wouldn't put anything in the car to harm it, it's under warranty, I suspect anything they use is SN approved and meets the latest requirements, just call them to find out what oil they used. I wouldn't dump it, that is just a waste of good oil.

I used to take our old Hyundai Accent and Kia Optima to the dealer for service and they always used OEM Hyundai filter and Kendall Syn-Blend. Pretty good combo I think. I doubt they put junk oil in there. It should be fine
smile.gif

I was given "free" oil changes & state inspections for three years when I bought my '07 Grand Marquis, I've driven by that dealership twice maybe three times in the last five years...

When talking dealership, FREE stuff will cost you money...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
I was given "free" oil changes & state inspections for three years when I bought my '07 Grand Marquis, I've driven by that dealership twice maybe three times in the last five years...

+1 Can can get $8 oil changes, and free NYS inspections for life for my 08 Liberty. No thanks!

Hyundai OEM filters are actually really good so you can wipe that off your list of worries. And I doubt their bulk oil would harm anything.

FYI...I also just sent you a PM about something completely unrelated.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

My Mazda dealer gave me free oil changes for as long as I own the car. No complaints here...

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Hyundai dealers in my area use Quaker State dino so hopefully that's what they used in your daughter's case. I wouldn't worry about it but that glass of wine could help as well.

Or a box...

well sleep good for two reasons first the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty second the oil filter they used flows better in my opinion than the p1 and the oil meets sn gf-5 im sure so sleep easy.
Hyundai makes a good car and good filters really good filters

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Use this situation as a teaching tool / learning experience for both you and your daughter.

Can't do much now except learn from the past.

thumbsup2.gif
Exactly. Great learning opportunity.

To the original poster, do not worry! Was it nearing the time for the oil change? If it was, the $60 was NOT a total waste. A OEM Hyundai filter is *VERY* good, so there is a few bucks, and a few quarts of oil is a few bucks too.

While you enjoy the oil changes I'm sure, the car will be more than fine. Hopefully it was getting near the time for the change. I hope you and your daughter do not feel the *LEAST* bit bad. Sure, next time probably do it yourself, but no worries since you enjoy it and it's cheaper.

At Most you probably lost $30, and she did get her warranty work fixed I hope. Plus, perhaps if she has more warranty work (hopefully not but if she does), she will have a bit more of a relationship with the dealer, that can always be helpful!

The oil change was fine products I'm sure, the only bummer is that it cost slightly more than you could have done it. Nothing to be upset about one time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back