An emerging discount wave on new vehicles ?

I could use a new F150, as my $38K Lariat 4x4 V8 is now 14.

I'm seeing discounts of $2K to $4K. That's a bit of a change, but the result is still a $70K+ price tag. That won't work.

CPI calculator comes up with $57K.

Also of note, I've not had a raise in 12 years.

I have never thought of a vehicle that is worth even close to the sticker price. a few years ago I was thinking of buying a Hellcat Challenger and at the time the dealers wanted up to $20,000.00 over list price I do not need a car that bad.

Understood.

Some folks want that Hellcat Challenger and willing to overpay $20K.

I saw a dealer adding $5K to all Mustangs, even the base 4 cylinder EcoBoost had this markup.

The problem I see is lack of inventory and selection, it's going to keep the used market inflated for longer. I sent my truck in to get a re-flash and the sales dept wanted to buy it. My friend sold his 2019 911 turbo back to the dealer and he got almost 40,000 more than what he paid for it in 2019.

Depends on the vehicle you are looking for, and where you are at.
The state of the economy is catching up.
As an example, Ford running 0.9 for up to 60 months plus 2K rebates on F150's.

Even though all that is cooked into the price, that doesn't happen if they are gliding out the door with ease.
Ford has a ton of leftover 2022 F-150 trucks on the lots. They were sitting in parking lots near the factories for months waiting for the chips they needed before they could be shipped out. I wouldn’t touch one since of these trucks.

The island above is where they unload new cars from Asia. It’s on the Fraser River at New Westminster, BC, not far from Vancouver. The cars have been unloading at a much higher pace than the last two years.

6C312A42-53E4-481F-8770-D4B261C202FB.jpeg

Ford has a ton of leftover 2022 F-150 trucks on the lots. They were sitting in parking lots near the factories for months waiting for the chips they needed before they could be shipped out. I wouldn’t touch one since of these trucks.

Depends how hot the fire sale is.

Fortunately I am eligible for the GM employee discount through family members. Between that and rebates I knocked over 5k off the sticker on a 2023 Equinox.

Yeah “lot rot” is a real thing.

The only good thing I can say about all these mark ups, is, it makes my fleet of used, paid for, cars look awfully attractive.
My plan is to keep them well-maintained and drive the Tundra, RX 350 and Soul into the ground.

Back