An emerging discount wave on new vehicles ?

I cant see how it will happen here either. Lots are still empty from pre-covid when you could go to these super dealers and literally walk through 100s of new cars. They are still selling them as fast as they can get them on the lots.
Then again, the Carolinas and south are where all the people are fleeing too ;)

Not here. Last walk through the showrooms of Toyota, and Mercedes, this last week, they still the 10% “market adjustment” sticker adding to the MSRP.
And they're on the lot, not sold.

You need to look in the trade rags to see number of days worth of unsold stock to see the trends that drive discounting.

Dpends on the local market. Dealers are in the for profit business of selling vehicles. If a dealer can't move product, something has to give. And verse visa. Or whatever.

And they're on the lot, not sold.

You need to look in the trade rags to see number of days worth of unsold stock to see the trends that drive discounting.
I’ve got a good friend (from whom I got the Volvo XC90) who has bought a new Mercedes and shopped a new Tundra. He wanted something not on the lot.

The Mercedes will take four months to be delivered. Toyota isn’t much better.

These two dealers are selling what they’ve got - there isn’t much on their lots, so they’re still getting that “adjustment”.

Depends entirely on the vehicle and local conditions. Two or three dealers that I have purchased from in the past have been providing lower prices than they had in the last year plus... (Where market discounts were non existent or marked up from MSRP, they now are actually offering discounts on some models and configurations (but not all)...) Still nowhere near the lot inventory they once had, but improving...

WSJ cited data from multiple auto data providers that show the market shift and what appears to be an emerging discount wave on new vehicles
In aggregate that may be true. Automakers were fortunate to be able to regain pricing power due to post-pandemic demand combined with supply issues which drove down inventory. Now that these post-pandemic buyers are locked into average loan terms of around 67 months combined with a softening economy, dealers are going to face a smaller pool of buyers while taking on less used inventory.

Perhaps in a year or so prices may soften on existing inventory with automakers rather than the dealers taking the hit.

Not here. Last walk through the showrooms of Toyota, and Mercedes, this last week, they still the 10% “market adjustment” sticker adding to the MSRP.
2 brands that have had more supply chain issues than most.
But if you really want a MB or Toy, be prepared to wait and pay for the privilege.
But, there is a better supply with most other manufacturers.

Depends on the vehicle you are looking for, and where you are at.
The state of the economy is catching up.
As an example, Ford running 0.9 for up to 60 months plus 2K rebates on F150's.

Even though all that is cooked into the price, that doesn't happen if they are gliding out the door with ease.

Folks....it's not about if the lots or empty or not or whether they claim they are asking $10k above MSRP.

It's about whether or not they are selling cars. I'm sure the folks who are working at the dealerships who are depending on selling cars to put groceries on the table are wanting the owners of the dealers to wake up and join 2023.

Nobody is paying MSRP or above anymore. The lending institutions won't even finance that crap anymore. You had better have a relationship with a bank to even get 100% financing today, and you will be paying near 6% at best.

driving through Florida a couple of weeks ago, dealer's lots looked full. Can't really judge sales from that, but there seemed to be inventory on the ground.

Toyota's Dealers lots are virtually empty everywhere I have traveled. Can't discount something they don't have. Maybe if you are looking for a Nissan Titan, which they hardly sell-and has be rumored to be on it's death bed (and sales bear this out) you might get a deal.

I have never thought of a vehicle that is worth even close to the sticker price. a few years ago I was thinking of buying a Hellcat Challenger and at the time the dealers wanted up to $20,000.00 over list price I do not need a car that bad.

I have never thought of a vehicle that is worth even close to the sticker price. a few years ago I was thinking of buying a Hellcat Challenger and at the time the dealers wanted up to $20,000.00 over list price I do not need a car that bad.
The only good thing I can say about all these mark ups, is, it makes my fleet of used, paid for, cars look awfully attractive.

The only good thing I can say about all these mark ups, is, it makes my fleet of used, paid for, cars look awfully attractive.
Yep, makes me glad I pay off any debt I have early rather than waiting. If you own it you have less to worry about when bad stuff happens with the economy. I'd hate to have to go try to buy a new truck like my current one, it would be $70-80K and even with my great credit it would still be 5.5-6.5% interest depending on the length of the loan.

Back