AMSOIL's comparative testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Agree with demarpaint, GTX has a big following (I was a user in the '80s), Syntec not so much, and Edge just came from the refinary.

I don't know.....take for granted that GTX is the biggest market share for Castrol, for which Amsoil is after, but is Synpower Valveline's largest selling product? Is PP Pennzoil's largest? Amsoil did not say on what principle the competing oils were selected.

As an Amsoil guy, I would like to see them test ALL the off the shelf Dino/Syns in all the viscosity's available versus their own product instead of just selecting a few.

Not that I don't trust them... No doubt they are exceptional, but by how much versus the competition would be nice to know!

The tests are expensive to conduct so they can't test every oil out there. I am always amazed, however, at how there is no public refutation of the results by any of their competitors. I don't care WHO pays for this type of testing when it's placed all over the world and no one says anything it must be pretty close to accurate benchmarking for the selected variables tested. The TFOUT test is a total crock though due to the base oils being different and those results should be removed.

Originally Posted By: pickled
The tests are expensive to conduct so they can't test every oil out there.

Actually those tests are fast cheap bench tests, likely conducted in house. A well equiped lab with two available technicians should be able to fully test a dozen oils within two weeks. Not knocking Amsoil - at least they publish comparative tests - just clarifying.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The tests are expensive to conduct so they can't test every oil out there.

Actually those tests are fast cheap bench tests, likely conducted in house. A well equiped lab with two available technicians should be able to fully test a dozen oils within two weeks. Not knocking Amsoil - at least they publish comparative tests - just clarifying.

Tom NJ

I was just about to say!
wink.gif

Only comment that I have to add is that I'm assuming there was more than n=1 samples per brand pulled for testing. If not then I would totally discredit the results. If the bar charts don't represent a mean that would not be good!!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Only a comment: I am thoroughly impressed with the Valvoline Synpower results. It Rivals Amzoil pretty close, and even matches Amzoil in the "wear test". This info coming from Amzoil, instead of an advertising claim from Valvoline itself makes it very believable. Synpower looks like really, really good stuff.
Amsoil costs more so it has to be better.

Test my product so it looks better. I am not knocking Amsoil . I can get my vehicles to outlast my ownership by far using any proper speced dino oil. I have used syn oils before syn oils were thought of to be the best and at the time they may have been but todays dino oils are great.[unless syn is required]

when I was looking at my 4 balls prior to a wear test.

Well, aren't we a freak of nature. Twice the balls, twice the pain though...

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Most of Amsoils tests and literature are geared for people who do not know about what they are reading.

And Castrol's ads are for PhD's!!!!
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Quote:
What's the glory to have for Amsoil beating GTX?

Maybe it's still the most popular of those who are thinking with their dipstick ..Jimmie.

After all, 90% of all wear occurs at start up ..that's what the GTX commercial says ..and GTX has proven to be superior in terms of thermal breakdown (what else?).

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Most of Amsoils tests and literature are geared for people who do not know about what they are reading.

And Castrol's ads are for PhD's!!!!
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

You're not thinking with your dipstick, Pablo.
smirk2.gif
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

gtx beats noack wise sso asm xl check product info web page amsoil.so we must assume gtx 10w30 is really a good deal/or i just am thinking too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back