Comparing Dino to Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Big Red:
I am a dino user "Pennzoil" 5w30 and 10w30 in my 1995 Nissan 4x4 V6. Is the Quakerstate Peak Performance worth looking at or using instead of Pennzoil? Your feedback is welcome.
Thanks
dunno.gif

On paper Pennzoil is the superior oil . Better basestock and VI modifiers .

quote:

I'd be willing to bet that Amsoil actually does include other synthetics in these tests, but only publishes the results of the oils that do worse than Amsoil.

Amsoil it seems has chosen the extended drain route over performance route or did the best they can at combining the two. It's clear from what I've read that Redline, Synrgyn, Neo are all better racing/high performance oils then Amsoil. I don't think anyone really will dispute that. If you look at Amsoil's oils they are excellent but very similar to Mobil 1. I think Mobil 1 is Amsoil's road block to dominance. Mobil's oils plus the new R oil really puts them in a great position. For a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $23, that is tough to beat!

High performance applications degrade lubricants through the same mechanisms of oxidation, nitration, shearing and fuel/water contamination as extended drain use, only they do it at an accelerated rate. In other words, your formulation approach will be very similiar in both cases.

Redline is actually a pretty decent long drain oil, primarily because it's formulated for high performance applications. By the same token, you can't make an extended drain oil like Amsoil that is not also a high performance oil by default.

2KMBMW, Last time I saw it was either some place on this site or someone here pointed me to a link. I remember that it was bad it was between 9% and 11%. I remember thinking to to myself that it was even worse then M1 5W30.

Castrol's bait and switch left a long lasting nasty taste in my mouth. All I used for a long time was Castrol product when ever I could get them. I even paid a premium for them in some cases. I noticed that my Castrol Syntec 5W50 was a different color and smelled different one day. I did not think nothing of it. THen about 6 months latter I found out that the $4.97 a quart 5W50 Syntec I was useing was not even a synthetic! So yes I am very biased against Castrol. This still does not change the fact tthough taht M1 bested them in 4 out of 7 tests!

Here in the USA out prices are reversed compared to yours in Canada. M1 is almost a Dollar Cheaper. I just recent the fact that they lie about what their product is and mis price it based on the products contents.

If some promises to sell me a CHoclate Trouffle and sells me a dog turd instead I am going to be a little upset. THe fact they are both brown and have nutritional value will not change the after taste in my mouth!

If I am being charged for synthetic I expect to recive a good group IV/V oil. You can get other group II+ oils for far less and maybe some other group III oils for less as well.

P.S. If you are happy with the price and performance I am happy for you.

quote:

If some promises to sell me a CHoclate Trouffle and sells me a dog turd instead I am going to be a little upset. THe fact they are both brown and have nutritional value will not change the after taste in my mouth!

JohnBrowning, you are just killing me! That is too funny.
lol.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I think Mobil 1 is Amsoil's road block to dominance. Mobil's oils plus the new R oil really puts them in a great position. For a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $23, that is tough to beat!
I think Amsoil's marketing stategy is also holding them back. They would surely sell a lot more oil if it were available on the shelves of most automotive stores. That, along with a bit of national advertising would do wonders for their sales I would think.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Amsoil is showing up in more and more places though like M/C shops and Tuner Stores .So has Redline .

Amsoil is now sold in Canadian Tires stores up here, which is an absolutely huge chain of stores. Some people have spotted Redline in some of these stores too.

harrydog,

I strongly disagree ....

The Amsoil extended concept is best explained through the use of experienced, knowledgable dealers. They are never going to be able to compete on price with Mobil 1, so their market niche will always be to sell the best - cost is no object - lubricants available. Redline is not a serious player when it come to street oils, due to their lack of any dealer network. In fact, I'd bet Amsoil sells more engine oil in 1-2 months in North America than Redline does in a year....

It would be dumb for Amsoil to cheaper their formulations so that they could be sold for $4.00/qt at Walmart. Their current market scheme has been very effective and is the reason why Amsoil is the largest independent maker of synthetic lubes on the market.

Selling an ultra premium synthetic oil at $6.00-$8.00/qt is not simply a matter of having it available on the shelf. You need to go over the benefits in some detail - trust me I know!

Ted

OK JohnBrowning. You made me change my mind.
I returned the Castrol Syntec. I thought about
the dog turd all night.
lol.gif
Now what? Should
I go with the BMW Synthetic 5w30 A-3 oil which
is made by Castrol?
confused.gif
Would a 10w30
Mobil 1 be better than a 5w30?
dunno.gif

Yeah, many of us old guys can't ever forget the Exxon Valdez either or Quaker State's wonderful formulations in the 1960's, but we just have to get over it and judge each product on it's own merits.

This site will let us know when someone cheapens a formulation.

John we need to get over this fake-synthetic rap. The bottom line is...it's simply a new/different way to make synthetic.

Similar arguments were made in the past re: pushrod vs. OHC, carburators vs. FInjection, real sugar vs. sweetener, etc., etc.. As technology moves ahead, you'll see different ways to make similarly grouped products. The ruling was made and we need to recognize it. In either case, if you've used Syntec 5-50 (even recently) you'll probably concur that it's a comparable product to anything M-1 makes anyway. It's not all that bad...

Sin City, I concur...they must have changed the website or something because I don't remember the 5-30 being categorized along with the 10-30 as being A3....in either case, I don't think they are, just that they "pass" A3 engine protection standards. Whereas the 5-50 IS A3-rated. Don't know how they can legally post this as it is an assumption on their part rather than actually submitting the oil for testing. It obviously must not pass or else they would label it otherwise...the Amsoil stats bear this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back