AMSOIL's comparative testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil has littered the web sphere with their comparative testing of various oils. They have kept up the game updating charts. I have a few concerns/questions assuming the tests were performed correctly and without twists in the results:

(1) they always test 10w30, not 5w30 which is most popular now, we at least I care about 5w30 performance, i can not translate 10w30 comparative test results to 5w30 as is (or should I?)

(2) at least for the recent testing, they included synthetics like PP, Valvoline Synpower, but when it comes to Castrol, they only do it with GTX. Why do you think they'd include at least Castrol Syntec, (or for 2009 testing, Castrol Edge)

Any thoughts/comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Only a comment: I am thoroughly impressed with the Valvoline Synpower results. It Rivals Amzoil pretty close, and even matches Amzoil in the "wear test". This info coming from Amzoil, instead of an advertising claim from Valvoline itself makes it very believable. Synpower looks like really, really good stuff.

1. 10W-30 is still the most poular consumer grade of oil bought, AFAIK.

2. I've wondered this too - Castrol GTX does very, very well in the NOAK test. i don't know why Amsoil would show that a dino oil, that is probably less than half the cost of Amsoil, is almost as good as their oil...sounds counter-productive....

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Only a comment: I am thoroughly impressed with the Valvoline Synpower results. It Rivals Amzoil pretty close, and even matches Amzoil in the "wear test". This info coming from Amzoil, instead of an advertising claim from Valvoline itself makes it very believable. Synpower looks like really, really good stuff.
I have almost been thinking of switching to this for the summer and then back to Amsoil for the winter.

This would let me do more frequent OCI's because of the decreased cost
thumbsup2.gif

I can try to see if the Synpower will cause lifter tick in the winter like others do, but I'm guessing it will because it's pour point in the cold is far from Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I can try to see if the Synpower will cause lifter tick in the winter like others do, but I'm guessing it will because it's pour point in the cold is far from Amsoil.

And conversely, that means it might be EXACTLY right for us in sweltering South TX! 100-103 all week, 95%+ humidity...and its only June...arrrggggh.
mad.gif

StevieC, hush your mouth. In order for you to see 90F it has to come through here first. I left Texas in 1989 to get away from that darn heat. We will be back in the 70's next week and I can't wait.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
StevieC, hush your mouth. In order for you to see 90F it has to come through here first. I left Texas in 1989 to get away from that darn heat. We will be back in the 70's next week and I can't wait.
Sorry Everyone mean't to say 80's... Not 90oF

Just saw the typo... Me and my big fat fingers!
LOL.gif

That's what I like about where I live, it doesn't get too hot or too cold. Should be around 75F today, just right
thumbsup2.gif

Stevie, what is an HQ filter? I see it in your sig line. Maybe a brand, or maybe you mean High Quality?
21.gif

Family & I will be flying into Buffalo NY a month from today. Stay 4 days on the Canadian side of the Falls, then off to Mount Washington (in NH) for two, then down to Penn for 4 days, then back to Hellfire, TX on August 6!

Last edited:
I'd go chk some SynPower UOAs - from what I've seen so far, I would have no confidence in it beyond an OEM OCI. But I haven't done any kind of comprehensive look at its UOA, so I should probably hush my mouth, but that's just where I'm at now in my view of SynPower.

And as we all know, there's much more to consider than those few metrics provided by Amsoil.

Synpower is a good oil now. Wasn't always but they have improved it quite a bit. IMO.

TFOUT/4ball test I would just ignore.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

That's what I like about where I live, it doesn't get too hot or too cold. Should be around 75F today, just right
thumbsup2.gif

Stevie, what is an HQ filter? I see it in your sig line. Maybe a brand, or maybe you mean High Quality?
21.gif

HQ = High Quality. (Stupid 150 Character limit!)
LOL.gif

Family & I will be flying into Buffalo NY a month from today. Stay 4 days on the Canadian side of the Falls, then off to Mount Washington (in NH) for two, then down to Penn for 4 days, then back to Hellfire, TX on August 6!
You will enjoy it... There is another thread on here where I posted pictures for another guy. Check it out...

Just looked at several UOAs of SynPower - I recant my previous post - it looks good - but given the TBNs, it would still be a sub-10k oil for me (and thus, it's not an oil for me :).

You will enjoy it... There is another thread on here where I posted pictures for another guy. Check it out...

What thread? I'll take a look, thanks.

Valvoline aside, I'd really like to have your thoughts on Amsoil picking GTX rather than Syntec or Edge. I know there are Amsoil folks at this forum, any insider info to share? What's the glory to have for Amsoil beating GTX? Syntec/Edge is either too good (better than Amsoil) or much worse to pick a battle on. But logically thinking, Syntec.Edge outght be better than GTX, so given that GTX is selected, there's more likely than not Syntec/Edge (esp. Edge) would be on-par with or better than Amsoil. Given Amsoil's marketing push, if they can show that Amsoil beats Edge, I think they would.

Could it be that Edge is a fairly new product, and it doesn't have much of a market share, so why even bother mentioning it?

What thread? I'll take a look, thanks.
Sent you a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back