Amsoil XL 7500 Group III or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Amsoil XL-7500 is now a group III oil. If you compare the new specs to the old specs for the group IV XL-7500 the new specs look better. That does not necessarily mean the new group III oil is better than the old group IV version. Since they must be spending a lot less for the base oil they are willing to spend a little more for additives so the end result should be an oil that is about as good as the previous oil while costing significantly less to produce. One of the problems with group III oil is that the quality varies a lot from one refinery to another depending on the feed stock they use and the process that they use to produce the finished product. Amsoil claims they are using the finest quality group III oil they can get. If that is true then the performance of the base oil should be very close to that of a PAO. If the oil is very well formulated it might be possible to match the quality of some PAO based oils but it is not likely to perform better in my opinion. One thing in their favor is that they never tried to hid the fact and they even made an official announcement about the change. All of Amsoils other oils are still a group IV/V blend.

Dr. Sin nailed it. Thanks sincity. I'll take it a step further and say few things:

a) Amsoil HQ didn't set a low enough price to make it logical for the dealers to sell it. The PAO base oils (ATM/ASL/AMO) are so close in cost ($0.60 difference/QT) that I don't "push"
blush.gif
it. The whole marketed for quikielube place thing starts spinning at this point.

b) due mainly to a) above there has been essentially zero UAO's on the XL line. I feel like running some, just to get a UOL.

I concur. When Amsoil changed the base stock they should have really lowered the price (1t least $1/quart) if they wanted to push it to individuals. What they did was pass on a small savings and kept the big stuff at home. As noted, the price differential between the synthetic oils they sell is so small that one would probalby not bother with the XL line.

Best group III base stock money can buy? Must be from the new Petro Canada refinery, or those other guys in Baton Rouge La.
I wonder how Amsoil's group III products stack up against other III engine oils like Shell's Rotella, Chevron's 5W40 Delo, Pet-Can's Duron 5W40 and others?
The last time I bought Pet-Can's 5W40 duron, I paid just over $4.00 C$ per litre, or $2.80 USD/US quart. Chevron's Delo 5W40 is about 50 cents cheaper from the bulk dealer (case lots, pails, barrels or drums).
How much does the Amsoil product cost, is it CI-4/SL API certified, and if it costs more, is the price justifiable?

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I concur. When Amsoil changed the base stock they should have really lowered the price (1t least $1/quart) if they wanted to push it to individuals.

It's really not to be pushed to Individuals, if you have a change to talk to a customer and give the the benifits, frankly the ASL/ATM is a better deal.

The only time I mention the XL7500 is if they are Agents for the API
lol.gif
or if the must have the 5w20 for Ford or Honda Applications. Even in that case I'll still try to push the 0w30 or the 5w30 ASL.

Now for accounts that put Amsoil on the Shelf or Quick lube, the XL is an easy sell. For one, it say's 7500 miles right on the Front customer really like the convenience of going longer with their oil changes so they would choose this over other group III syns and even Mobil 1 in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back