amsoil xl 5w20, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I just did the first (for us) oil change on my wifes 06 mazda 3.

I was going to go with mobil 5w20 but it was going to cost an arm and a leg. I could have bought it by the jug at walmart but.........didnt want to
wink.gif

the guy at the parts store hooked me up with amsoil xl series 5w20 for $8 canadian a quart, which is a wicked deal for up here. any thoughts on the stuff?

Its not the guarenteed for 10 years and 300,000 mile OCI stuff, but its API rated, and says good for 6 months.

thanks.

Very good oil like most Amsoil oils. $8qt is way too expensive though.

Thanks guys,

beleive it or not, thats the going rate for mainstream synthetics around here!!!

Mobil 1 5w20 and syntec are both 9.49-9.99/ quart. the less expensive stuff like quaker state Q is closer to 8,99 or so.

I figure $45 an oil change every 6 months isnt too bad at all, considering we see some cold temps in the winter, and this stuff should fair well from what I can tell from the numbers.

Last edited:
I would think Mobil 1 is a better oil than the Amsoil XL series, however once you go above the XL series, amsoil would be better than the Mobil 1.

what makes you think that?. Just curious, I'm not arguing, because I have NO idea which is better.

any thoughts?

It's API rated because they lower the zinc content. Still a VERY fine oil. Personally I prefer the higher zinc content but would choose the Amsoil over M1 notwithstanding.

Just switched my Mazda 5(same engine as the 3 GT) to Amsoil XL 5W20. May switch that to the 0w20 next time around depending on price. I am following the severe factory service (4months/8000k) schedule, so synthetic might be a bit overkill depending on how much I drive in 4 months.

First thing I've noticed is how much quieter the engine is when started cold in the morning. Engine used to be a bit noisy until it warmed up, now it's as quiet as my honda. In my honda, the difference was not so dramatic.

I'm sure if I switch to 0w20 and have the dealership do it, I won't even mention the 0w20 to the service writer as they will say something silly.

I had to pay $10+ Canadian at a local store for XL Amsoil. Under the Amsoil PC program, it should be more in line for what you paid.

Was running Amsoil 0w-20 in an 07 Mazda 3 with the 2.3L. Now using M1 5w20 and it's just as quiet and smooth. Not sure how people are hearing noise differences among oils. Has to be in your head, in most cases.

Originally Posted By: ScottG
I had to pay $10+ Canadian at a local store for XL Amsoil. Under the Amsoil PC program, it should be more in line for what you paid.

yeah, that seems to be the going rate.

I think its usually 10.99/litre at the local Partsource.

Originally Posted By: buster
Was running Amsoil 0w-20 in an 07 Mazda 3 with the 2.3L. Now using M1 5w20 and it's just as quiet and smooth. Not sure how people are hearing noise differences among oils. Has to be in your head, in most cases.

It was in my head....they call them EARS.
Did you ever consider that your particular vehicle just doesn't have noise issues with Mobil 1 while OTHER vehicles very well do? Trust me...I WAS a Mobil 1 fan....that is until two new vehicles I had purchased became noisey with the stuff. As soon as I replaced it with either Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum the noises ceased. Had nothing to do with being 'in my head'. Many folks have had the engine clatter with Mobil 1. Not trying to slam the oil....just relating what I noticed.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Did you ever consider that your particular vehicle just doesn't have noise issues with Mobil 1 while OTHER vehicles very well do? Trust me...I WAS a Mobil 1 fan....that is until two new vehicles I had purchased became noisey with the stuff. As soon as I replaced it with either Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum the noises ceased. Had nothing to do with being 'in my head'. Many folks have had the engine clatter with Mobil 1. Not trying to slam the oil....just relating what I noticed.

You should have been there when I changed my 09 F-150 to Schaeffer from the motorcraft factory fill.....The engine got really quiet.

I ran the Amsoil XL for a couple years in my 6,my wife's focus and my 97&08 F-150's.I recently switched to Schaeffer after I saw a 06 F-150 come in w/ valvetrain noise that we have done it's oil changes every 6k on.....and it was full of sludge.It was using Amsoil exclusively.

Originally Posted By: djquik1

You should have been there when I changed my 09 F-150 to Schaeffer from the motorcraft factory fill.....The engine got really quiet.

I ran the Amsoil XL for a couple years in my 6,my wife's focus and my 97&08 F-150's.I recently switched to Schaeffer after I saw a 06 F-150 come in w/ valvetrain noise that we have done it's oil changes every 6k on.....and it was full of sludge.It was using Amsoil exclusively.

Schaeffer is the schnizzle. But concerning that issue with Amsoil XL, that dude had extra-curricular engine problems. imo. You sludge Amsoil or any SM oil in 6k OCIs, don't blame the oil. Somethings up.

When I ran Royal Purple,the valve train was noiser,fact.

When I changed over to Amsoil XL,valve train got quiet again,fact.

Even when I ran mobil 1 synthetic,valve train was quiter then when I ran Royal Purple.

Ya, it just all depends. For whatever reason, some oils appear to produce more noise than others.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: djquik1

Schaeffer is the schnizzle. But concerning that issue with Amsoil XL, that dude had extra-curricular engine problems. imo. You sludge Amsoil or any SM oil in 6k OCIs, don't blame the oil. Somethings up.

Nothing was up with the engine.....It was the oil.....We got the engineer involved from Ford on it as well.Everything pointed back to the oil.....He was using 5w30 100% Synthetic.His engine called for 5w20.

Is this Ripley's believe or not forum or Bob the oil guy? I was confused there for a moment.I find that really hard to believe.I find that hard to believe on any oil meeting Ford specs.synthetic or not in 6k.5w20 or 10w30 doesn't have a thing to do with it.Someone playing with time frames and paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back